What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zilly in Titans sights

Chachi

Bench
dolphinboy said:
Bit harsh there Chachi.

The bloke is not too far wide of the mark.

We would struggle to have half a dozen blokes who would be walk up starts at the other 15 clubs - fact.

For us to whine about the new laws shows a poor and all too familiar kindergarten mentality, rather than our own management getting off its collective asses and doing some flesh pressing to chase players for further on down the track.

And mate The Storm do plenty down here development wise for league in Melbourne as well as SE Qld.

Carney and Zillman are no brainers as attractive to most clubs, and this sort of stuff will be around until we are pushing up daisies, so as he said some of us do need to get over ourselves a bit, and realise every other club goes through it, just some clubs cover their losses far more judiciously.
dolph, I never suggested that Melbourne don't put in big bucks and time for development - I'm saying that the Raiders do more than the vast majority of clubs to keep Rugby League thriving (or even just going) in country NSW and even QLD.

I was just responding to some random post by someone who had nothing constructive to say about the discussion at hand or even anything to do with it.

Off the top of my head we've also got blokes like Mick Monas, McLinden, Cross, Robertson, Kite, Priddis, Woolford etc who came through our system are all doing quite well in the NRL or ESL and are walk up starts to their clubs - not to mention Joel Monas, Tongue, Graham, Carney, Zillman and quite a few others that would have no problem getting a start elsewhere.

And that doesn't include players like Brett White from Cooma who came through our development area that clowns like this 1999 person have benefited from.

Edwahu

Bench
dolphinboy said:
do need to get over ourselves a bit, and realise every other club goes through it, just some clubs cover their losses far more judiciously.

Other clubs go through it after they have actually had some success.

dolphinboy

Juniors
donkey|rope said:
So where are all these Victorian NRL players?

Wont happen for a while mate - stutter steps

Ideally the Storm players not in the main team could play in the VRL - but unfortunately the VRL is what you would describe as "feral" and the quality a notch or two below Qld Cup.

Folau and Inglis are recent exmples of their development and somewhere down the track there is likely to be a Vic come through the ranks.

dolphinboy

Juniors
Chach I don't disagree with the fact we are a great nursery, just lousy parents.

We have developed bucket loads but generally the fruit ripens at other clubs.

Joel Monas, Tongue, Graham, Carney, Zillman and quite a few others that would have no problem getting a start elsewhere

4 out of those 5 no issues - they are part of the half dozen

Whilst Phil is a walk up for us I cannot see that being the case elsewhere

Our forward pack is honest without being worldbeaters and whilst I am a huge fan of Thommo - would he walk in to any other club, maybe not.

We are in the cellar because of the way our management handles the day to day, and due to talent loss with insufficient replacements.

I love my team but I am not about to call a 1983 Mazda 323 a Ferrari.

Most of our success on the field this year as in the past few will be built predominantly on guts rather than outright talent.

Other clubs go through it after they have actually had some success

Ed, success is a distant memory at Bruce unfortunately, and whilst we struggle to retain talent it is likely to stay that way.

Things need to change in our backyard, and feeling sorry for ourselves isn't the remedy.

Chachi

Bench
dolphinboy said:
Chach I don't disagree with the fact we are a great nursery, just lousy parents.

We have developed bucket loads but generally the fruit ripens at other clubs.
Can't say I disagree with you there mate - but we also agree on the fact the Raiders finance a great nursery for Rugby League in general.

If some random arseclown disputes that fact (which is what he did) then they'll get a gobfull from me.

The fact we don't hold onto the players we need to is a totally different matter.

I'm just getting pissed off that we do more for the game of League than most other clubs on the planet, yet there is no recognition or reward for this - other than ex-coach f**kwits who like to think the fruits of this club are theirs for the picking.

DeeGan

Bench
Raider_69 said:
All that titans have said is they are interested in him IF HE WANTS TO GO BACK TO QLD, which is probably not even the case.

Thank you.

ANY NRL team would be interested in Zillman if he wanted to leave the Canberra Raiders for professional or personal reasons.

Lego_Man said:
Why should they help you? Youve got exactly the same cap to work with, if you cant pay your stars enough money because you are overpaying nuffies then that's your management's problem.

The Warriors have the exact same problem with losing juniors/finding it hard to attract big names from australia, but you dont see us complaining or asking for handouts.

No, You just cheat the cap. Tool.

PRKLCD

Juniors
David Puddy said:
Zillman needs to leave Canberra if he wants to spur on his career and get into rep sides.

Knob - we have the assitant QLD coach and one of our greatest players as the coach.:lol:

David Puddy said:
Zillman needs to leave Canberra if he wants to spur on his career and get into rep sides.

Zillman may have to wait many years to break into the QLD team with the amount of talented fullbacks QLD have. At the moment Bowen, Hunt + Slater are miles ahead of him and they are all fairly young as well. And with that i bring up 1000 posts :whistle

Juniors
maybe im just the voice of the other fans outside your club that have had enough of your bitching over your players, players develop, and they get offered big money and they move on, melbourne are on the brink i dare say of a big exodus, so im not excluding us at all, but everytime a canberra player considers leaving for a better opputunity/payday, you's all cry foul like its everyone elses fault you cant retain your good players, bottom line i think canberra can afford to keep carney and zillman, well and truely... i just dont believe they want to stay, because weather you want to believe it or not, players want to be in a successful outfit, and i believe if melbourne offered carney 200,000 tommorow and canberra offered 400,000, carney would be in a storm jersey... and dont sook, coz you lot are the first to bash up on your own management

adamkungl

Immortal
legend said:
Surely the NRL have to step in and assist the Raiders otherwise in ten years there will be no Raiders. We can't just be a nursery for up and coming stars to work on their game here and head off once they become likely rep players.

The is not the EPL but the NRL are gutless wonders when it comes to trying to do the right thing.

....then Raiders fans bitch when Gould questions their viability? Give me a break. However I agree that there should be salary cap concessions, not for LOCAL players, as that would screw a certain club or two royally up the arse...but for players brought through the professional ranks by the one club. And it should be a significant concession. My idea would be for only htwo thirds of a players salary to be contributed to the cap if they make their FG debut with a club and stay with that club. No time contraints or anything like that. That concession kicks in immediately upon debut and ends as soon as they leave the club. As an added bonus, players who make their NYC debut with the club get a 50% concession. This would see a LOT more one club players, clubs able to stay strong for much longer (some may see this as a bad thing, not me. Imo a club should be successful as long as their good management allows, not be brought down in 2-3 years by a salary cap). As far as I can tell no one would be disadvantaged. No negatives as far as I see. Someone else think of them please, I'm sure they exist...

David Puddy

Juniors
1999 said:
maybe im just the voice of the other fans outside your club that have had enough of your bitching over your players, players develop, and they get offered big money and they move on, melbourne are on the brink i dare say of a big exodus, so im not excluding us at all, but everytime a canberra player considers leaving for a better opputunity/payday, you's all cry foul like its everyone elses fault you cant retain your good players, bottom line i think canberra can afford to keep carney and zillman, well and truely... i just dont believe they want to stay, because weather you want to believe it or not, players want to be in a successful outfit, and i believe if melbourne offered carney 200,000 tommorow and canberra offered 400,000, carney would be in a storm jersey... and dont sook, coz you lot are the first to bash up on your own management

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dazraider

Juniors
1999 said:
lol poachers, its no the nrl's fault ur club only has 2 players worth recruiting, lol nursery... get over yourselves

well there is plenty more than two players that they have worth recruiting , we have already lost a young half to the panthers this year and the forwards we have up and coming wil be targeted as well

Chachi

Bench
1999 said:
Mate, your key recruiter has left, your coach is on his way to Brisbane and will probably take Cam Smith and Folou with him.

What exactly to you base your comments about Zillman on? From what I can tell he hasn't said anything about wanting to go back to Brisbane, unlike Cameron Smith...and just because you truely believe Carney would come to Melbourne for $200K less than Canberra it doesn't mean that's true champ. :lol:

I suggest you stop wasting your time here and make the most of the remaining success you may have in the next year or so.

dolphinboy

Juniors
1999 said:

Mate your two statements here cancel each other out

If you are on the brink of an exodus you wont be a successful outfit for too long

I remember a decade or so ago another totally dominant team in a one team city, that now struggles annually

Welcome to your future my little News Ltd friend :lol:

dolphinboy

Juniors
David Puddy said:

Ah David Puddy the same tool who gave us "Let's hear that shoulder pop Benji"

Go choke on a latte at Bondi you muppet