What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lol at Broncos getting nervous re expansion!

Blade23

Juniors
Before the SL disaster hit the game the SQ Crushers drew a crowd avg of 21k! That would put them in the top 3 supported clubs in the NRL today!! Their highest crowd was in 1996 against the Broncos with over 34k attending. I don't get why people say they were a failure?.

They finished 17 out 20 teams in 95 and won the wooden spoon in 96 & 97.
They also had debts racked up of over 3 million.
Not being competitive also made their crowds average slide. They started off at 21k and finished up with 7003.
A failure to me. But to be fair unless your are like Melbourne and have instant success, a new team can take up to eight to ten years to be competitive.

Mr Bean

Juniors
You realise that was 20 years ago right? There were a lot of clubs failing at that time.

It's 2015 and Sydney of all places has two AFL teams!

And why does a second Brisbane team have to weaken the Broncos? Surely what everyone would like to see is two clubs in Brisbane both drawing capacity crowds in Suncorp.

I agree with the NRL's approach - we've got to get the second tier competitions right first - but surely the time has come for a second Brisbane side.

20 years ago the Gold Coast sucked and still do now. They are 80ks up the road and are struggling again. If it wasn't for the NRL stepping in they would have suffered a similar fate certain sides suffered in the 90s.

I would take a guess Brisbane would be weakened slightly. By another club on their doorstep, with another side draining their juniors and sponsorship? I don't know just a thought. I am not saying Brisbane should have the whole area for themselves. But them the Titans and a one more I don't see the talent or crowds evenly spread.

Another common misconception floating around is that not every fan who lives in Brisbane is a Bronco's supporter. True a lot aren't but having lived there for 5 years I can tell a lot of people are not team less. There is a lot of St George supporters up there among other supporters.
I would be stunned If another Brisbane team came in and suddenly they had 20 000 supporters. I know crowds were up for the Crushers early on then they rapidly declined.
Personally I would rather the NRL get the Titans shit into gear before we look at another mouth to feed in Qld. and then there is the debate about being enough talent in the NRL for another 2 teams

Shorty

Staff member
I don't think the GC 'sucks' per say...they were very competitive for quite a few years and then management stuffed up again.
That city in general has gone down the drain the last 5 years, isn't it now the crime capital of Australia?

I think the GC is always going to be an uphill battle, a bit like Cronulla.
Brisbane actually has a strong North vs South rivalry, if the NRL could tap into that it would pay dividends down the track.
That's why I like the Ipswich idea the most.

I think the problem with SE QLD is they are accustomed to success, if it's not the Broncos, it's the Reds...who were awful for a very long time but eventually won, the Lions won 3 in a row and The Roar dominated as well.
If you want a 2nd Brisbane team that doesn't take away from the Broncos, then they're going to struggle for quite a while before they succeed.

blaza88z

Coach
Probably had a lot more to do with people walking away from the game rather than the club. Take a look at crowds around the country in that period, by and large the sane thing happened everywhere.

Warriors went from 26k to less than 9k
Newcastle 21k to 14k
Canberra 17k to under 10k
Etc etc

look mate, if you need a team to follow you're more than welcome to support Brisbane, we're the benchmark team in the comp when it comes to being financially better off, it's a good team to follow I mean we have periods where we aren't genuine contenders but we still are in the 8 almost every year

just have a think about it and stop making these threads in an attempt to vent your anger

Band On The Run

Juniors
Another common misconception floating around is that not every fan who lives in Brisbane is a Bronco's supporter. True a lot aren't but having lived there for 5 years I can tell a lot of people are not team less. There is a lot of St George supporters up there among other supporters.
I would be stunned If another Brisbane team came in and suddenly they had 20 000 supporters. I know crowds were up for the Crushers early on then they rapidly declined.

This.

Not many people in Brisbane would just stop supporting their team to support Brisbane II

IMO Ipswich is a much more sensible expansion for QLD

Perth Red

Post Whore
look mate, if you need a team to follow you're more than welcome to support Brisbane, we're the benchmark team in the comp when it comes to being financially better off, it's a good team to follow I mean we have periods where we aren't genuine contenders but we still are in the 8 almost every year

just have a think about it and stop making these threads in an attempt to vent your anger

Thanks but I've already adopted the Storm until the NRL grows up and expands to Perth.

alien

Referee
in regards to the low home crowds for the sth qld crushers in their last year, iirc it was pretty well known that year that the crushers would most likely be axed after that year, so people stopped going to their games because they thought there was no point supporting a team that was about to be axed anyway. of course a 2nd brisbane team can survive, since they have a population of around 2 million, and are crazy about rugby league. i think the club should be ipswich jets, but be called "south queensland jets" so it will attract supporters from outside of the ipswich area (kind of like how roosters are still easts, but have their trading name as "sydney roosters". they would play at suncorp stadium, unless there is ever a nice stadium built in the ipswich area. if they think creating a brand new team is best for attracting supporters, then i like the name "sth qld scorpions"
dcesrb.jpg

2r6o4r4.jpg

Last edited:

Maroon4life

Juniors
This.

Not many people in Brisbane would just stop supporting their team to support Brisbane II

IMO Ipswich is a much more sensible expansion for QLD

This, after asking alot of people I know who support the broncos not one said they would switch to a second Brisbane team if it were to be introduced.

Ipswich is even dangerous territory given the connection that region has with the broncos, the NRL's hands are tied.

AFL has two teams in Sydney (non-heartland) yet the NRL has only one team in Brisbane (heartland). That's messed up, the Broncos had since 88 to get a base, already have 6 premierships and a established fanbase. They should embrace the 2nd Brisbane team instead of shunning it as of late. It would provide motivation to both to expand there respective fanbases as the Broncos tend to be on cruise control in Brisbane coasting off there past successes.

Instead the Broncos welcome the other codes (Lions/Reds) to gain ground yet reject it's own code. That's messed up if anything as seen the fragmentation of the Brisbane sporting market. 2nd Brisbane team means a constant rugby league presence in Brisbane and the exclusive Brisbane derby. Also, the day that 2 Brisbane teams and NQ are top of the table would be pure excitement for QLD and NRL in general.

Providing the team has a connection to the BRL heritage like the Brothers bid it can be successful. If Brisbane is a true heartland it should have two teams simple as that. All other sporting heartlands have two teams in there major city and have derbies.

If Brisbane isn't possible of this is shouldn't call itself a heartland simple as that.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
in regards to the low home crowds for the sth qld crushers in their last year, iirc it was pretty well known that year that the crushers would most likely be axed after that year, so people stopped going to their games because they thought there was no point supporting a team that was about to be axed anyway. of course a 2nd brisbane team can survive, since they have a population of around 2 million, and are crazy about rugby league. i think the club should be ipswich jets, but be called "south queensland jets" so it will attract supporters from outside of the ipswich area (kind of like how roosters are still easts, but have their trading name as "sydney roosters". they would play at suncorp stadium, unless there is ever a nice stadium built in the ipswich area. if they think creating a brand new team is best for attracting supporters, then i like the name "sth qld scorpions"
dcesrb.jpg

2r6o4r4.jpg

both of those teams would be good additions to the Brisbane area, you never know if they win a comp you'll probably jump on board

I don't get the 'they're too successful, throw in another Brisbane team' argument. Most of the Broncos success came before the 3.4 million salary cap introduced in 1998 and its been a pretty even comp since. The 1998 and 2000 GF wins can be seen as a 'carry over' success from the pre 1998 era. 2006 was up in the air for any team in the top 6 outside the Storm and Broncos pretty much flew under the radar to win that one. And that was 9 years ago. If you wanna add up all the minor premierships, runners up and premierships post 1998, no team really stands out besides the Roosters. Please stop propagating this myth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That would be the least important reason for adding another Brisbane team tbh, though it seems high on new people's list!

As said it is crazy afl has two teams in Sydney yet NRL still onlY has one team in the second biggest RL heartland.

Vaisefuder

Juniors
You realise that was 20 years ago right? There were a lot of clubs failing at that time.

It's 2015 and Sydney of all places has two AFL teams!

And why does a second Brisbane team have to weaken the Broncos? Surely what everyone would like to see is two clubs in Brisbane both drawing capacity crowds in Suncorp.

I agree with the NRL's approach - we've got to get the second tier competitions right first - but surely the time has come for a second Brisbane side.

There are a lot of clubs failing now. 1/4 of teams competition are administrated by the NRL so they don't go under.

bobmar28

Bench
I fail to see the fascination of a 2nd Brisbane team.
We already had 2 Brisbane teams back in 1995 with the South Qld Crushers that failed miserably and were financially unsustainable and competitively unsuccessful.
The Gold Coast are roughly 80ks up the road and are failing in their 4th or 5th ?? attempt.
A 2nd team in Brisbane won't take the game anywhere new it would just slightly weaken the Bronco's.
Am I missing something ? other than the NRL's obsession of playing more than once every 2 weeks at Suncorp for $$$ & ratings until the bubble bursts.

You are missing something. The entire state of QLD has only 3 teams while the city of Sydney has 9.

bobmar28

Bench
dcesrb.jpg

2r6o4r4.jpg

It has to be Ipswich Jets.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Personally I would rather the NRL get the Titans shit into gear before we look at another mouth to feed in Qld. and then there is the debate about being enough talent in the NRL for another 2 teams

Very similar to the west coast-fremantle argument in 1995
Eagles were successful and hugely popular, although some people still hated them. If you asked them people at the time they would of said they'd prefer to cheer on their favourite Melbourne team. The dockers initial fan base consisted of people who preferred Melbourne clubs, and west australians who initially still supported The Eagles. Over time that fan base grew, people ditched their Melbourne clubs for a local team that wasn't the Eagles. The people who still supported the Eagles and the dockers started to favour the dockers because they were the underdogs, these people eventually stopped supporting the Eagles all together. Now days the Eagles and Dockers have 2 huge but completely different fan bases that hate each other , and are both success stories in the afl (despite fremantle winning no premierships in that time).
Brisbane is a huge city, 2 million people plus the other heavily populated areas of SE QLD, it is a rugby league mad territory, and the population is only going to grow. If in 10-15 years we still only have 1 team in the city and 3 overall in Queensland then the nrl is failing

blaza88z

Coach
if they make another team is has to be an extension of a QLD Cup team, bringing in another franchise would be f**king stupid, why not make the most of a team that has a history in the game

Ipswich makes the most sense to me, although I would never f**king live there, what a hole