What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, that'll do me...

counterpuncher

Juniors
"....we are still in the hunt for the semi-finals."

No we are not.

Especially when you feel it is more important to hold a spin doctoring, finger pointing press conference when you could be putting your efforts into developing a workable game plan (as unlikely it is that would come to fruition)

It is increasingly looking like we will not be troubling the win column of the ladder for the rest of the season...:(

monsterkev

Juniors
if we lose the rest of our games which we will then maybe we achieved what we set out to do at the beginning of the year so mary fired his gun a bit to early the season aint over yet
we may just finish 3rd last but hopefully all the teams below us will come good and win all remaining games and we finish with the wooden spoon
it sucks but only then the board might sack mary

Dea

Juniors
I really want our team to do well but I just can't imagine the attack starting to work so late in the season when it hasn't so far.
Our points differential is 15th best in the competition but for some reason that too doesn't instill in me confidence or give me the feeling of overachieving.

What will they say if we loose these next games? Will someone then own the reality that the team has declined in performance? More so, will anyone take responsibility for that decline?

Minh

First Grade
It's poor form for the coach to get involved in making these kind of excuses.....we've had enough of the tries from kicks line already too.

hazzbeen

Bench
I really want our team to do well but I just can't imagine the attack starting to work so late in the season when it hasn't so far.
Our points differential is 15th best in the competition but for some reason that too doesn't instill in me confidence or give me the feeling of overachieving.

What will they say if we loose these next games? Will someone then own the reality that the team has declined in performance? More so, will anyone take responsibility for that decline?
We are so lucky to be still a chance to make the 8 (cant see it) Parra stripped of points , Easts and Souths unexpected bad form ..... They need to take their heads out of the sand ....

Minh

First Grade
If anything he should deflect the heat away from the players and take ownership of the performances himself.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
FFS Mary you wanted the job but you can't take the heat??
Every time he opens his mouth he shows he ain't a coach's bootlace, I wish he would resign, he is not capable of turning the ship around. If he did turn it around I would be amazed.

emu62

Juniors
FFS Mary you wanted the job but you can't take the heat??
Every time he opens his mouth he shows he ain't a coach's bootlace, I wish he would resign, he is not capable of turning the ship around. If he did turn it around I would be amazed.

Agree not capable of turning it around but sure is capable of sinking it

sco22

Juniors
What a load of BS he and Doust are so insular they can't see Jubilee Oval for the Trees

ALSGI

Bench
"And with calls for his head along with that of chief executive Peter Doust, and the players constantly being targeted by their fans, McGregor pointed out that the team had so far over-achieved on expectations this year — and that was also the case last season."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...s/news-story/eebdbb11c8810a41b81a535966a14728

Paul McGregor questions why St George Illawarra are being targeted ahead of other under-performing rivals

Paul CrawleyThe Daily Telegraph

FIRST it was Mike Cooper who this week slammed “unfair” criticism being aimed at the Dragons.

Now coach Paul McGregor has stepped up to defend his team, questioning why St George Illawarra are being targeted ahead of other under-performing rivals.

With the Roosters (15th), Souths (13th) and Manly (12th) below his team on the table, McGregor responded to the pressure being put on his team.

Despite losing their last three games and having the second worst attacking record in the NRL behind only Newcastle, the Dragons are still right in the fight for the top eight heading into Friday night’s crucial clash against the 5th placed Bulldogs.

“For some unknown reason they seem to enjoy targeting some clubs more than others and some players more than others and some coaches more than others,” McGregor said.

“But you can’t do much about that.

“You have just got to work towards the main goals and that is to go out and play your best footy.”

And with calls for his head along with that of chief executive Peter Doust, and the players constantly being targeted by their fans, McGregor pointed out that the team had so far over-achieved on expectations this year — and that was also the case last season.

The Dragons are one of three teams on 20 competition points in 11th spot on points differential, but sitting just one win out of the top eight.

“I think last year everyone said we over-achieved,” he said.

“Again this year everyone picked us to finish in the bottom four with our roster.

“All of a sudden we are above that still now and we are not playing well and we can’t do this and we can ‘t do that.

“But that is rugby league.

“It is the game that we all love and we love to hate at different stages.”

While their form on the field has angered fans, so too has the fact the Dragons are struggling to sign reinforcements for next year.

They have already missed out on Luke Keary and it looks like Corey Norman will also be staying at Parramatta.

McGregor also admitted contract negotiations this year had been difficult on some players, like Benji Marshall and Mitch Rein whose futures are still to be decided.

McGregor said he just wanted his players to put the negativity out of their minds, like he plans on doing.

“You can’t worry about what other people think or concern yourselves with what other people think because it just takes away from your focus on what you need to do, which is concentrate on what you can control and that is winning games of footy,” he said.

“And that is the same as the players.

“Obviously they have got feelings and today’s social media really opens up everything.

“Unfortunately the players do look into things.

“So for us it is about looking after what we can control.

“And it is important that the players leave their baggage at the door and worry about what they can control, which is going out and playing good footy.

“And that is the most important thing because we are still in the hunt for the semi-finals.

“People have got short memories.

“We have to win four of our next six and we understand that. So this week is the start of that.”

Originally published as McGregor steps up to defend under-fire Dragons.

I think I want to live in McGregorland too. I'd like the ability to completely dismiss everything around me. The arrogance is really quite startling
"And with calls for his head along with that of chief executive Peter Doust, and the players constantly being targeted by their fans, McGregor pointed out that the team had so far over-achieved on expectations this year — and that was also the case last season."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...s/news-story/eebdbb11c8810a41b81a535966a14728

Paul McGregor questions why St George Illawarra are being targeted ahead of other under-performing rivals

FIRST it was Mike Cooper who this week slammed “unfair” criticism being aimed at the Dragons.

Now coach Paul McGregor has stepped up to defend his team, questioning why St George Illawarra are being targeted ahead of other under-performing rivals.

With the Roosters (15th), Souths (13th) and Manly (12th) below his team on the table, McGregor responded to the pressure being put on his team.

Despite losing their last three games and having the second worst attacking record in the NRL behind only Newcastle, the Dragons are still right in the fight for the top eight heading into Friday night’s crucial clash against the 5th placed Bulldogs.

“For some unknown reason they seem to enjoy targeting some clubs more than others and some players more than others and some coaches more than others,” McGregor said.

“You have just got to work towards the main goals and that is to go out and play your best footy.”

And with calls for his head along with that of chief executive Peter Doust, and the players constantly being targeted by their fans, McGregor pointed out that the team had so far over-achieved on expectations this year — and that was also the case last season.

The Dragons are one of three teams on 20 competition points in 11th spot on points differential, but sitting just one win out of the top eight.

“Again this year everyone picked us to finish in the bottom four with our roster.

“All of a sudden we are above that still now and we are not playing well and we can’t do this and we can ‘t do that.

While their form on the field has angered fans, so too has the fact the Dragons are struggling to sign reinforcements for next year.

They have already missed out on Luke Keary and it looks like Corey Norman will also be staying at Parramatta.

McGregor also admitted contract negotiations this year had been difficult on some players, like Benji Marshall and Mitch Rein whose futures are still to be decided.

McGregor said he just wanted his players to put the negativity out of their minds, like he plans on doing.

“You can’t worry about what other people think or concern yourselves with what other people think because it just takes away from your focus on what you need to do, which is concentrate on what you can control and that is winning games of footy,” he said.

“Obviously they have got feelings and today’s social media really opens up everything.

“And it is important that the players leave their baggage at the door and worry about what they can control, which is going out and playing good footy.

“And that is the most important thing because we are still in the hunt for the semi-finals.

“We have to win four of our next six and we understand that. So this week is the start of that.”

I think I want to live in McGregorland too. I'd like the ability to completely dismiss everything around me. The arrogance is really quite startling

Put a blonde wig on him, rant "make the Dragons great again" and build a wall around the Sutherland Shire! He's our man! This will be his next presser!

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I wonder what the ' mind set ' of Harry Bath was when he began to coach the Dragons in 1977 ?
" Well considering that these players are only young , and inexperienced , I expect that the team will finish in a respectful 6th or 7th place , which I would be most pleased with "

From memory he set the expectation early on that it would take 5 years to develop into a premiership team. He then delivered it in one. Legend Saint Harry.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

I would not use the word "arrogance" but rather naivety. To think that being 11th with just a mathematical but very unlikely chance of reaching 8th with an appalling For and Against can be regarded as anywhere near satisfactory is just so naive.

Old Timer

Coach
The performance of other teams whether they be good or bad has nothing to do with the outcome achieved by the team you coach.

There is no justification to keep your job just because someone else did a worse job at another club on somebody else's payroll.

His defence of his coaching and the teams position is about as good as the teams defence in games "FULL OF HOLES".

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
"We have to win four of our next six and we understand that. So this week is the start of that.”

My goodness Paul your sharp and on the ball.......must be why it takes you one and a half hours to watch 60 Minutes

blacksafake

First Grade
For what its worth i emailed the board to let them know my feelings on this latest statement. I politely said that they created this mess & its only reasonable for them to fix it sooner or later or else the remaining fans will only be more fired up which is more than what the coach can do to the team.