What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, that'll do me...

Zucchini

Juniors
"And with calls for his head along with that of chief executive Peter Doust, and the players constantly being targeted by their fans, McGregor pointed out that the team had so far over-achieved on expectations this year — and that was also the case last season."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...s/news-story/eebdbb11c8810a41b81a535966a14728

Paul McGregor questions why St George Illawarra are being targeted ahead of other under-performing rivals

Paul CrawleyThe Daily Telegraph

FIRST it was Mike Cooper who this week slammed “unfair” criticism being aimed at the Dragons.

Now coach Paul McGregor has stepped up to defend his team, questioning why St George Illawarra are being targeted ahead of other under-performing rivals.

With the Roosters (15th), Souths (13th) and Manly (12th) below his team on the table, McGregor responded to the pressure being put on his team.

Despite losing their last three games and having the second worst attacking record in the NRL behind only Newcastle, the Dragons are still right in the fight for the top eight heading into Friday night’s crucial clash against the 5th placed Bulldogs.

“For some unknown reason they seem to enjoy targeting some clubs more than others and some players more than others and some coaches more than others,” McGregor said.

“But you can’t do much about that.

“You have just got to work towards the main goals and that is to go out and play your best footy.”

And with calls for his head along with that of chief executive Peter Doust, and the players constantly being targeted by their fans, McGregor pointed out that the team had so far over-achieved on expectations this year — and that was also the case last season.

The Dragons are one of three teams on 20 competition points in 11th spot on points differential, but sitting just one win out of the top eight.

“I think last year everyone said we over-achieved,” he said.

“Again this year everyone picked us to finish in the bottom four with our roster.

“All of a sudden we are above that still now and we are not playing well and we can’t do this and we can ‘t do that.

“But that is rugby league.

“It is the game that we all love and we love to hate at different stages.”

While their form on the field has angered fans, so too has the fact the Dragons are struggling to sign reinforcements for next year.

They have already missed out on Luke Keary and it looks like Corey Norman will also be staying at Parramatta.

McGregor also admitted contract negotiations this year had been difficult on some players, like Benji Marshall and Mitch Rein whose futures are still to be decided.

McGregor said he just wanted his players to put the negativity out of their minds, like he plans on doing.

“You can’t worry about what other people think or concern yourselves with what other people think because it just takes away from your focus on what you need to do, which is concentrate on what you can control and that is winning games of footy,” he said.

“And that is the same as the players.

“Obviously they have got feelings and today’s social media really opens up everything.

“Unfortunately the players do look into things.

“So for us it is about looking after what we can control.

“And it is important that the players leave their baggage at the door and worry about what they can control, which is going out and playing good footy.

“And that is the most important thing because we are still in the hunt for the semi-finals.

“People have got short memories.

“We have to win four of our next six and we understand that. So this week is the start of that.”

Originally published as McGregor steps up to defend under-fire Dragons.

I think I want to live in McGregorland too. I'd like the ability to completely dismiss everything around me. The arrogance is really quite startling

Slippery Morris

First Grade
"We have to win 4 of the next 6". Wow what a dreamer. The fact that there is 3 teams in front with a better differential and 1 behind them with a better diff he thinks 4 wins and your in. So expect crap footy for the next 2 weeks. Then a solid effort in the 3rd when HE realises they have no chance and then 3 rubbish efforts to end the season. GREAT.

If Saints win say 4 games to make the semis they need to win them by 30+ and lose the other 2 by at least 2 pts. They can't even score 30 how are they going to win by 30?

He should have been tested for DUI before they spoke to him as he would have been way over the limit by the sounds of things.

Saint-Fez

Juniors
Our last 4 wins have been against Melbourne (at home, no origin players or munster), Cowboys (at home, no origin players), Newcastle (enough said) and Canberra (At home, golden point victory from an intercept). Those teams below us that Mary is referring to (Manly and Souths) beat us with a combined score of 70-30.

Maybe Mary has been drinking before press conferences also

blacksafake

First Grade
Wow just wow.o_O

Hey Mary lets see where those other teams behind us you are refering to finish at the end of the season compared to us as well as their differential.

Me thinks it is just about straight jacket time. The pressure is obviously getting to him.

hillbillyserb

Juniors
Mary and Doust will now attempt to use the media to point to other clubs in hope of clearing themselves.
Make no mistake, they will not go without kicking and screaming, why would they want to get off this gravy train and work for a living.
They will both be there years to come unless we all really come together

Coffs dragon

Bench
Proves he really is a confirmed knobhead. Clueless in tactics, instills no discipline blames everyone and everything except himself, arrogant and not a coaches R's hole!!! Get rid of this idiot or the club will sink beyond recovery.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I especially love the comment

"People have short memories"

Not too sure about that Paul, we've been on the slide since the second half of 2011 and the attack has been poor under your watch firstly as attacking coach and now as head coach. My memory seems to go back far enough
Well said lethal
Dear Paul fxxxk off

Mr Red

First Grade
My mistake. I didn't realise we were aiming to finish no better than 13th this year.

Yeah me too, I'm glad all that pre season recruitment and off season training was all designed at targeting 13th to 16th on the ladder....

There's still enough games left to drop those couple of places to 13th, so according to Mary they're right on target to meet expectations...
Can he possibly say anything more stupid and infuriating for fans???

I wonder what the players think hearing Mary saying that they have over achieved this season by coming 11th...makes them all look pathetic doesn't it

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Pretty sure Mary has his own business to return to that he can fall back on if he leaves and I am sure Doust will be able to get a job somewhere else. Parramatta need a new CEO don't they.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Pretty sure Mary has his own business to return to that he can fall back on if he leaves and I am sure Doust will be able to get a job somewhere else. Parramatta need a new CEO don't they.
They can both go work for the goal post sponsor........a recycled waste removal company!!!!! They have the experience since they have given us all the Sh.ts and it forms the recruitment policy of stockpiling garbage.

dragonreddy

Juniors
The thing with McGregor beating the "poor us" drum he is giving the players an out to use it as an excuse when in real terms most of them have been poor all year, especially Widdop (he has been one of the poorest) jumping on the bandwagon with Mary.
So we now have captain and coach bitching in public ad nauseum about those pesky fans causing all the problems, but then when it suits the Dragons admin they like to tell all and sundry that everything goes on behind closed doors,little bit of a double standard I would say.

If the players and staff weren't happy about the fans complaints they should've kept it in-house just like all the intricate plans our cunning recruitment staff hatch to snare the brightest talent on the market (not) , what they have effectively done now is made themselves look like a bunch of snivellers ,and any respect Mary earned last year with the fans has dissolved.

He isn't the brightest individual because I would imagine the pressure will increase over the coming weeks as we lose more games ,which I think is extremely likely.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I'm such an idiot, all this time I was disappointed with our performance I should have realized there were a few teams below us on the ladder.

My bad, carry on Mary... Hopefully we can extend his contract soon so he and Doust can continue to remind us fans how stupid we all are.

Red V for life

Juniors
If the coach and playing group are going to stick to a scripted and consistant response, i'd prefer one with some ownership and accountability rather than one with justfication and deflection.