What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Konrad, Kahu and the kick

Meth

Staff member
How do you see this one?

Obviously, it's a fine line. He can't kick at the ball. But he can lodge his feet underneath the ball. The refs ruled that he deliberately sought to do the former, not the latter. How do you judge that?

If he was seeking to lodge his feet underneath the ball and in the process of doing so, due to timing and not intent, kicked the ball out of Kahu's grasp, is that still a penalty try?

Meth

Staff member
I'm glad someone started a thread on last night's game. I've been waiting for a chance to discuss it.

On a specific incident and a specific rule arising from last night's game.

This is a Rugby League forum, yeah 'staff member'?

Shorty

Staff member
At the time I thought it was the first of many crap calls but I think this one was correct.
It was at least a penalty.

That being said would they award that every day of the week?

Meth

Staff member
At the time I thought it was the first of many crap calls but I think this one was correct.

Is the difference between penalty and penalty try intent?

I always look at the motive for the rule. The rule was supposedly brought in because people whinged when slater was kicking people in the head trying to kick the ball out. It's basically the old kicking in danger rule modified by a reactionary NRL and ruled on by idiots. But even then there was no danger at all and the defender should be able to prevent the try in any way that is not dangerous. That's what he did. It's what any player would do. You can rake the ball out over the line these days and it's only a drop out. At worst it should be the same here.

Card Shark

Immortal
If he was seeking to lodge his feet underneath the ball and in the process of doing so, due to timing and not intent, kicked the ball out of Kahu's grasp, is that still a penalty try?

I agree, he tried to get under the ball., was fractionally slow in doing so.

Shorty

Staff member
Is the difference between penalty and penalty try intent?
Well yes and they are 100% sure that Kahu would have scored it without Hurrell there.

I thought he tried to position his legs so that it would keep Kahu from actually grounding the ball.
Hurrell's feet and Kahu's head were nowhere near each other.
They need to clarify this rule a bit more.

Edwahu

Bench
I thought it was a try but the bar is so high to give a penalty try I doubt it would be given most of the time.

Meth

Staff member
Well yes and they are 100% sure that Kahu would have scored it without Hurrell there.

I thought he tried to position his legs so that it would keep Kahu from actually grounding the ball.
Hurrell's feet and Kahu's head were nowhere near each other.
They need to clarify this rule a bit more.

Definitely a minefield.

Isn't it '100% sure Kahu would have scored without Hurrell's foul play'?

If Hurrell inadvertently knocked the ball out of Kahu's grasp while trying to lodge his feet under the ball to stop a try, is it still a penalty try?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Agree. Rightly or wrongly the game has moved on to rub out any hint of Matthew ridge / billy slater head kicking

lockyno1

Post Whore
It was either a penalty try or 10 in the bin. My view is Kahu would have scored if he wasn't illegally infringed so therefore it's a penalty try.

They wouldn't have even awarded it to the Titans last night.

lockyno1

Post Whore
He might have been trying to get his feet under the ball.

Pigs fly too. You don't use a kicking motion to put your legs under the ball.

I would say the same thing if Brisbane were defending. I'm so over players illegally infringing on the line to stop tries.

My only issue about this is that it took until the finals. There have been half a dozen penalty tries that should have been awarded this season