What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 NRL Club Membership

Canard

Immortal
You claim it's an overstatement because you decide to ignore my question about actually travelling on the roads around AAMI Park at that time. traffic is already packed travelling in all directions, adding an additional few thousand cars trying to enter the car parks would lead to the previously mentioned 'transport logistical nightmare'.

The roads already struggle with crowds leaving anywhere within the Melbourne Park complex. As someone that has driven that road regularly for many years; even a small crowd at Margaret Court arriving/leaving can cause delays on Swan Street at the quietest times. Adding sporting traffic onto Friday night peak hour is just asking for chaos; leading to angry fans missing the start of games and refusing to attend future early Friday games.

The traffic will be crazy on Swan St, for sure.

But honestly in 8 years of living in Melbourne I've never even contemplated driving to AAMI. (Or the MCG for that matter)

I'm definitely not going to say it's a great timeslot, but it MAY be better for the Storm than any other Aussie NRL team.

Valheru

Coach
Yes it will be very interesting to see what the Roosters and NRL(prob nothing) do to try and attract a crowd to their three 6pm Friday night games. Fri night games can be a preferred choice for many fans for Roosters games but that's at 745pm not this new 6pm timeslot.

It will be very challenging for Easts fans to finish work and pick up their families and then travel to the game on time. Their big hope is to get the city workers to make a night of it and go to the game instead of going to a bar to watch the game on tv which is fox's whole reason for putting games on this timeslot.

If the club and the NRL were smart they would put free buses on from the city to Allianz stadium try and get as many fans as possible. They have to promote the games in the city and try and make it a event like other codes do otherwise people will just think it's too hard and head straight to a city bar them home.

The games should work great in NZ with the time difference.

Only 2 of the 3 are home games with the other one away to Newcastle on Good Friday so they should have no issues there.

Our one against Manly COULD be an ok crowd. It is our 2nd home game with the first being on a Thursday and only 1 of 4 home games in the first 12 games. It might even be the last day of school for the term but not sure about that.

The home game against Newcastle has 0 chance of a good crowd.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You claim it's an overstatement because you decide to ignore my question about actually travelling on the roads around AAMI Park at that time. traffic is already packed travelling in all directions, adding an additional few thousand cars trying to enter the car parks would lead to the previously mentioned 'transport logistical nightmare'.

The roads already struggle with crowds leaving anywhere within the Melbourne Park complex. As someone that has driven that road regularly for many years; even a small crowd at Margaret Court arriving/leaving can cause delays on Swan Street at the quietest times. Adding sporting traffic onto Friday night peak hour is just asking for chaos; leading to angry fans missing the start of games and refusing to attend future early Friday games.
I didn't ignore your question about 'actually travelling on the roads' - simply put the chief method of transport to AAMI Park is rail or tram. The percentage of attendees using a car to attend would be quite small compared to those who utilise public transport.
The traffic will be crazy on Swan St, for sure.

But honestly in 8 years of living in Melbourne I've never even contemplated driving to AAMI. (Or the MCG for that matter)

I'm definitely not going to say it's a great timeslot, but it MAY be better for the Storm than any other Aussie NRL team.
Absolutely spot on. I generally avoid driving Swan and Hoddle Streets wherever possible because I know it will be busy. Why would you drive anyway when there's a tram stop and train station less than 300m from the ground?

Timmah

Staff member
Only 2 of the 3 are home games with the other one away to Newcastle on Good Friday so they should have no issues there.
Third game at Allianz for Fri 6pm is a Souths home game v Manly from memory.

Mister M

Juniors
I The percentage of attendees using a car to attend would be quite small compared to those who utilise public transport.

Why would you drive anyway when there's a tram stop and train station less than 300m from the ground?

I personally use Public Transport to get to the ground, but I've had experiences with friends/family coming from outside the inner suburbs of Melbourne deciding to drive in because it's more convenient for them to drive and park than drive to a train/tram station and take Public Transport.

Compared to most AFL clubs, quite a high percentage of the Storm's supporter base lives within the outer suburbs/country Victoria. Have you ever noticed that the Junior games at half time almost always feature junior sides from places like Melton, Boronia, Cranbourne, Craigieburn and the like (suburbs that are inconvenient for PT use)? This large group of the supporter base will always primarily drive in.

I will happily say now that the 6pm Friday timeslot will be an absolute failure for the Storm, with under 7.5k fans turning up unless the Storm use one of their ticket give away promotions to boost the numbers (Mate's get in Free, Kid's get in free)

Timmah

Staff member
You'll happily say it? LOL. You're hoping something fails for your own benefit, that's borderline nasty.

For what it's worth I don't think it'll be a raging success but it won't the abject failure you think it'll be.

Mister M

Juniors
You'll happily say it? LOL. You're hoping something fails for your own benefit, that's borderline nasty.

For what it's worth I don't think it'll be a raging success but it won't the abject failure you think it'll be.

What benefit do I get if it fails??

How is the fact that the club I support is being forced to play a home game that will have a poor crowd in the middle of the Melbourne winter benefit to me?

Or the fact that I personally won't be able to attend this game because I can't get from my workplace (in Hawthorn) that I finish at 6pm to AAMI Park in time?

I get no benefit at all. Are you a forum moderator or just someone here to create arguments, every second post in a few different threads is purely you creating arguments.

Timmah

Staff member
How is the fact that the club I support is being forced to play a home game that will have a poor crowd in the middle of the Melbourne winter benefit to me?
"being forced to" jesus christ.

It's a draw. Scheduling is such that not every team can play on a sunny Sunday afternoon at 2pm. No team has more right than another.
Or the fact that I personally won't be able to attend this game because I can't get from my workplace (in Hawthorn) that I finish at 6pm to AAMI Park in time?
The game's five months away, that's not enough time to request an early finish or take leave? It's literally a one off occurence this season.

I get no benefit at all. Are you a forum moderator or just someone here to create arguments, every second post in a few different threads is purely you creating arguments.
Sorry, I was under the impression we were here to discuss things. I don't agree with your point of view and I'm sharing that opinion. Why does whether I'm a moderator enter the discussion? Grow up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only Timmah could think that the NRL agreeing to a 6pm Friday game was an acceptable thing lol. It was a absolutely shthouse decision by the ARLC/NRL CEO and should be called out as such. It follows on from another shthouse decision to agree to play games on a Thurs and Mon night last season.

I hope it is a massive failure at the ground and on Tv in teh first few weeks and the merkins are forced to quickly change it. Doubt they will though, Mon's have been sht for fans but they stuck with them for years.

Only Timmah could think that the NRL agreeing to a 6pm Friday game was an acceptable thing lol. It was a absolutely shthouse decision by the ARLC/NRL CEO and should be called out as such. It follows on from another shthouse decision to agree to play games on a Thurs and Mon night last season.

I hope it is a massive failure at the ground and on Tv in teh first few weeks and the merkins are forced to quickly change it. Doubt they will though, Mon's have been sht for fans but they stuck with them for years.

probably cos they rated well on fox.
crap for crowds tho.

when I would go to raider MNF games the crowds were always shit.
i only ever got to one MNF Sydney game and it was wet and the crowd barely cracked 10k

Timmah

Staff member

PR, the world's not as black and white as you think it is. I've said countless times that the concept may well fail but ultimately it's happening and as fans we should be giving it the best crack we can. Bitching and moaning about it before it's even happened won't change that it is happening. And I'm supposed to feel bad about trying to find a silver lining to what looks like it won't be a smart scheduling decision?

As for "absolutely shit decision by the NRL CEO" - unless you're in every board meeting at NRL level how would you know who is responsible for that timeslot call? It's more than likely a mid-level manager or scheduler who agreed to it and I dare say the suggestion came from Fox.

The decision to play Thu & Mon last season was a compromise the NRL had to agree to in the changeover of TV deals, and they made it clear it was a one off, didn't they?

Actively hoping NRL matches are a failure is about as short sighted and f**ked up as you can get if you're actually an RL fan.

And thinking they're going to change multiple fixtures because they aren't drawing well or rating well is about as dumb as it gets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You don't think the commission and CEO would have signed off on the contract for game schedule lol?

I want it to fail badly so it is changed asap. it isn't going to be a success, no gilding of the Lilly will change the sht decision and you don't have to be Nostradamus to see how it is going to play out in attendances. Worse that could happen is that it is pretty poor but not a disaster and we end up stuck with it for 6 years. Better we have some short term pain and they change it.

Why did the NRL HAVE to agree to a Mon and Thurs? What did they get in return?

Timmah

Staff member
You don't think the commission and CEO would have signed off on the contract for game schedule lol?
You said it was the CEO's decision, don't change your mind now.
I want it to fail badly so it is changed asap. it isn't going to be a success, no gilding of the Lilly will change the sht decision and you don't have to be Nostradamus to see how it is going to play out in attendances. Worse that could happen is that it is pretty poor but not a disaster and we end up stuck with it for 6 years. Better we have some short term pain and they change it.
This speaks volumes of your attitude towards the game. Pre-judging something yet to happen, declaring it a failure before its tried, and HOPING it will die.

That's shithouse.
Why did the NRL HAVE to agree to a Mon and Thurs? What did they get in return?
Are you f**king stupid? Close to a billion dollars is the answer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
1. I said it was the commission and NRL CEO signed off, you said it was some middle manager. Which is most likely do you think? And you ask if i'm stupid lol.

2. All for optimism but it is going to be sht, 99% guaranteed, the sooner it fails miserably the sooner it can be fcked off and a reasonable timeslot introduced in its place. We can all live in unicorn land and hope its good, but hoping rarely makes something reality.

3. AFL got over a billion $ and didn't agree to play such a fcked up schedule. Yeh we got more money but paid a hefty price in our scheduling, something AFL didn't have to do to get equally large amounts. Mon and Thurs for 1 year and then Fri 6pm and Thurs for 6 years. Just another part of the failure of our leadership to get what the games worth without selling it out for the fans.

Latest posts