What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List Tuesday - discussion thread

BrissyRedV

Bench
Mary will be sacked after 5 or 6 rounds. He could not select or coach a team to save his life. We will again gain joy in watching the Cutters and Under 20's
players and coaches showing Mary up
for being a goose. Why have the Nines
and trials if you do not reward Dufty, Field, Havili and Mann for their good
form and demote Widdop for his pathetic efforts and circular or cross field running.
Top players still need a good coach who can instil proper structures and train the players in those structures correctly. Without good, quality structures a team is nothing and the best players in a squad will fail. The reason we see crabbing across field etc. is because there is no space. The block play that Mary has developed does not create space and the way it is trained means that it is a slow, ponderous beast that is predictable and easily defended which in turn means players can be gang tackled and a slow play the ball ensues which again, creates set defensive lines and little space. A player cannot be expected to play ab lib kind of style all the time if there is no space and the defence is set. Inserting new players into the current structure will likely end in them failing and is why I do not blame the current stock for the most part, for the coaches failures.

BrissyRedV

Bench
The problem is when and if someone realizes our coaching structures are wrong will it take another 3 to 5 years to get back to being competitive ( we have not been for a while) Will it be too late ...... ?
That is a good question. Can the club survive and then thrive after being cellar dwellers for a decade or more in the modern era? They cannot afford another error when appointing another coach as it may well mean another wasted coaching term, with some high profile talent and some quality juniors coming through, as we could see a decade of failure coming.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I just feel so safe knowing that we will have such an experienced halfback in McCrone selected. I would be a nervous wreck if we went for an untried half like mann or field, that could be a disaster!
Go the safe option Mary, in Mccrone we trust, 140 nrl game veteran!
Ugh, it makes me feel like pissing in Mary's morning coffee...

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
Not what I want, but think it will look like this;
Dugan
McDonald
Aitken
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
McCrone
Packer
McInnes
Vaughan
Frizzel
Thompson
JDB
Bench
Ah Mau
Sims
Host
Marketo

Alec's-saints

Juniors
deadset don't care about the footy season anymore, we all know what saints will dish out anyways! trying to find positives but i can't. hoping we lose our next 6 games so that mcgronk gets the sack.. keep telling the misses how good we used to be back in 2010 and the rich history this club has. but she doesn't believe me. i feel embarrassed every time i take her to games and the same results always occur. Boring footy week in week out, no direction in attack, piss poor attitude in defense.McGregor out.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Not what I want, but think it will look like this;
Dugan
McDonald
Aitken
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
McCrone
Packer
McInnes
Vaughan
Frizzel
Thompson
JDB
Bench
Ah Mau
Sims
Host
Marketo
Sub Marketo for Leilua and I think this is the exact team that will be named.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I just feel so safe knowing that we will have such an experienced halfback in McCrone selected. I would be a nervous wreck if we went for an untried half like mann or field, that could be a disaster!

Not only is he safe, but he's also been described as "tradesman-like". What an exciting time to be a Dragons fan.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Leaving out Dufty, Field, Havili and Mann will reduce the try scoring ability of the NRL team by 1-2 tries per game. Mary has a death wish to hasten his own downfall. Who does he think are going to set up and score the NRL tries. I guess the power game of his massive forward pack will score most of the tries while the backs will be limited to being defensive turnstiles like 2016.
Meanwhile the Cutters and Under 20's
will be plundering tries and making the finals like last year. Mark Coyne please drop the guillotine.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
These teams look scary given that at other NRL clubs Lafai, Marketo and Mc Crone would not be considered for performance reasons and Leilua not considered for fitness reasons. At best they would be considered for NSW Cup.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think the structure of the Cutters team list will give a fair example of who will be dropped from the 21 players named in 1st grade.

giboz71

First Grade
Sub Marketo for Leilua and I think this is the exact team that will be named.

What makes you think Mary will leave his favourite player out of the side? I think Marketo will be in the 17, particularly given he had a decent game in the Tigers trial.

Yep just like the Dragons made the 2015 finals under Mary's leadership our gun half Josh McCrone was the Raiders halfback on the "Field" in there 2010 finals campaign so he is our "Mann".
Dragons by 8 this Saturday :rolleyes:

gregstar

Referee
considering it is the first round of a new season, i am quite excited.

the players will be fresh & eager to succeed & lay the groundwork for a positive season to come.

i think we'll give a good account of ourselves.

we should only lose by 30-40 points. but to be fair many of those points will be from kicks because our defence will be too strong for them to get through.

with a bit of luck we should score a try.

hewi

Bench
considering it is the first round of a new season, i am quite excited.

the players will be fresh & eager to succeed & lay the groundwork for a positive season to come.

i think we'll give a good account of ourselves.

we should only lose by 30-40 points. but to be fair many of those points will be from kicks because our defence will be too strong for them to get through.

with a bit of luck we should score a try.

Love it, what a cynic!!!

BrissyRedV

Bench
What makes you think Mary will leave his favourite player out of the side? I think Marketo will be in the 17, particularly given he had a decent game in the Tigers trial.
Just what I am thinking. Now in hindsight, I actually think he may go all big guys on the bench for his "power" game and pick Mose first up.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
First time in a long time that I completely non excited about the first team list Tuesday for the start of a season. All because of Mary and his game plans, structures and selections. Thanks Dragons management for ruining it for me.

Exactly how I feel mate. This time is usually so exciting for me but this year has a bit of a gloom about it. We all know McCrone will get picked ahead of exciting Field which I can live with as long as Field gets picked on the bench and plays a part (getting picked on the bench does not always transalte for a run as we saw last year).. I really feel for Mann. Never got a chance in the off-season to show how he can handle halves. Widdop has a freakin mortgage on the No.6 no matter how bad he is. As for Lafai, he will probably get the go ahead as well. Probably best pack of forwards they have had in a while but with no attack it is pointless....Literally. Or should I say tryless.

It's a season where we basically are hoping they don't get the spoon. I really hope I am wrong but just can't see it.

possm

Coach
Mary will be sacked after 5 or 6 rounds. He could not select or coach a team to save his life. We will again gain joy in watching the Cutters and Under 20's
players and coaches showing Mary up
for being a goose. Why have the Nines
and trials if you do not reward Dufty, Field, Havili and Mann for their good
form and demote Widdop for his pathetic efforts and circular or cross field running.
But why do we have to waste another '5 or 6 rounds'? We have seen Mary's useless game plans and structures over the past few years and most on here see him as a useless NRL coach.

Just punt him and get someone in who can do the job properly.

Latest posts