What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SAINTS V PANTHERS.

emu62

Juniors
Taken me a while to post. Ive been in shock for a few hours. Congrats to the team, not a bad player out there today.Also credit to McWrecker ,finally a game plan designed to suit our strengths & didnt we look good?
Special mention to Dugan, what he brings to this team is invaluable,yes makes a few mistakes but when the going gets tough he is the first guy to put his hand up & is truly inspirational.IMO No doubt he is currently our best option at FB
Also like to mention Vaughn, for a apparent reserve grader, he sure adapted to first grade pretty quickly

Dragon for life

Juniors
Will never miss a game at Kogarah. It's time when you can put all the hassles aside.

All the memories. The hill, bubbler, dude that sold peanuts, gogo man, old grandstand, toilet block, crew that sat in tree's watching the game.

The Army and their signs, the giant jersey, the odd flare, the days of the auditorium (they were epic) or going back to the club to party or cry.

Wearing the Red V, seeing all the flags. Watching the kid's and knowing the journey ahead for them.

What a ride Jubilee has been.
I remember my first and only visit to Kogarah. My old man took me when I was about 10 and haven't had the pleasure to get back.

I remember my old man telling me that one of the guys who sat in the tree outside the ground was banned from entering the ground(not sure how true that was). He was a bald guy who always had his dragons jersey on. Can anyone confirm this story and also remember his name?

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
How good is watching kohli not play a shot and get out again.
The dragons and Lyons what a day.

I am a huge Cricket fan and it is so good to see Lyon get a massive hall. He works so hard and he is such a good bloke and a great team man. Him and SOK are great in tandem, SOK ties them up and Lyon leaks a few more runs but looks more dangerous.

Anyways, back to the footy. Just great to see some positive football played by the dragons, both on and off the ball. This forward pack looks not only skillful, fit, mobile and big... But they look intense, Rusty Packer, Thommo and JDB just have this look in their eyes. Frizz ran hard all day but even he struggled to match their intensity. The panthers pack looked meak, bordering pathetic today. Especially Merrin. 40 Metres and 1 offload. JDB got that in the first 10 minutes.

BennyV

Referee
I just think we need to tweak the 17 and get the best rotation possible - Host looked a bit weak...we need to get this squad right
Absolutely ridiculous.

In about 3 years time, Host will be amongst our best forwards. The kid has a huge future nad plenty of ability now. The problem is that he isn't a middle player, and TBH we dont need him to be. He needs game time on the edge, that's where his future is. Our middle forwards are fine and Host and Friz can cover them if needed.

As for bringing Mose in...just lol!

Dragon66

Juniors
Dragon 66
If we play like this every week even if we get beaten at least it will be entertaining

Totally agree. For me as a football supporter it is performance first, and the results second, and if we play well enough we win more than we lose.

So many times we won last year but at the end of the game I felt flat because of the manner in which we won. Having said that winning is certainly much,much better than losing.

BennyV

Referee
I was really impressed with McInnes today. He looked really composed, good kick for a repeat set, tackled well, good service, a try and a try assist. And his work rate was consistent for 80 minutes. Could be a really astute pick up.

People were a bit quick to say his was only JUST better than Rein. I reckon he is miles ahead. He was captain of the Junior Kangaroos and he is only young, super young. The way he plays, tackles and runs reminds me of another hooker named Cameron.

He is nowhere near that level, but I can see that he is a lot smarter than I thought he was. He will only get better with experience.
Cam McInnes is going to be a very, very good player. Hooker is a position that generally takes several years for players to really make their mark in first grade (see Granville, Friend, Peats, etc). Had to laugh when Souffs fans brushed him off and other refer to him as a reserve grader. He exceeded what I expected of him today, but he will be a very good buy for us.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I am a huge Cricket fan and it is so good to see Lyon get a massive hall. He works so hard and he is such a good bloke and a great team man. Him and SOK are great in tandem, SOK ties them up and Lyon leaks a few more runs but looks more dangerous.

Anyways, back to the footy. Just great to see some positive football played by the dragons, both on and off the ball. This forward pack looks not only skillful, fit, mobile and big... But they look intense, Rusty Packer, Thommo and JDB just have this look in their eyes. Frizz ran hard all day but even he struggled to match their intensity. The panthers pack looked meak, bordering pathetic today. Especially Merrin. 40 Metres and 1 offload. JDB got that in the first 10 minutes.

Yeap agree mate
How long since we had a day were we had 19 off loads in a match and 18 were effictive.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Cam McInnes is going to be a very, very good player. Hooker is a position that generally takes several years for players to really make their mark in first grade (see Granville, Friend, Peats, etc). Had to laugh when Souffs fans brushed him off and other refer to him as a reserve grader. He exceeded what I expected of him today, but he will be a very good buy for us.

Agree benny v
He was crisp with his passing and lead them around well.
It will be great to watch his progress

Gareth67

First Grade
I remember my first and only visit to Kogarah. My old man took me when I was about 10 and haven't had the pleasure to get back.

I remember my old man telling me that one of the guys who sat in the tree outside the ground was banned from entering the ground(not sure how true that was). He was a bald guy who always had his dragons jersey on. Can anyone confirm this story and also remember his name?

Dragon for life - if you can keep a secret , that was me . Baldy headed bloke , a bit on the tubby side , wearing my old Saints jersey . I had to end up sitting in the trees , as the fellas at the gate reckon I stank of pigs !
Wouldn't let me into the ground , too many complaints from other supporters . Needless to say I never returned . :p

Bench
Dragon for life - if you can keep a secret , that was me . Baldy headed bloke , a bit on the tubby side , wearing my old Saints jersey . I had to end up sitting in the trees , as the fellas at the gate reckon I stank of pigs !
Wouldn't let me into the ground , too many complaints from other supporters . Needless to say I never returned . :p
The skull. If memory serves be correctly name was Ross May

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I can not see the Dragons being dominated by too many forward packs. Our forwards were awesome. Penrith were disappointing apart from Moylan and Cartwright. We should re-sign Dugan for what he is on now.
Mann needs to be in the team. Was he injured? Field, Garrick and Robson should go back to Under 20's to gain some experience and build up confidence.
Illawarra were very disappointing (especially in the backs) apart
from Hind and Robson and they missed Wakeman and Hutchison. Only Robson was able to organise play. Nona is erratic and I would like to see how Payne goes in the halves.
I think that we will make the eight if we get our backline right skill and speed wise. The new recruits Mac Donald, Mc Innes and Vaughan played well. It is good to see the ball thrown around and good hard running.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I can not see the Dragons being dominated by too many forward packs. Our forwards were awesome. Penrith were disappointing apart from Moylan and Cartwright. We should re-sign Dugan for what he is on now.
Mann needs to be in the team. Was he injured? Field, Garrick and Robson should go back to Under 20's to gain some experience and build up confidence.
Illawarra were very disappointing (especially in the backs) apart
from Hind and Robson and they missed Wakeman and Hutchison. Only Robson was able to organise play. Nona is erratic and I would like to see how Payne goes in the halves.
I think that we will make the eight if we get our backline right skill and speed wise. The new recruits Mac Donald, Mc Innes and Vaughan played well. It is good to see the ball thrown around and good hard running.

apart from Cartwright? He was the worst on ground. JT got a hat-trick running over the top of him. 7 missed tackles and a few offloads he threw either did nothing or went to us.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've met a few Souths fans with brains (they do exist) and they are quite disappointed at losing McInnes. He clears the ruck quick enough, tackles his heart out (both close in and in cover) and looks to have a fair amount of speed in the open.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons hammer Panthers in season-opener

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

4 Mar 2017, 6 p.m.
r0_0_3835_2556_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OFF TO A FLYER: St George Illawarra hammered Penrith at Kogarah on Saturday to get their 2017 campaign off to a winning start. Picture: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra have provided an emphatic refutation to their loud chorus of preseason critics, stunning Penrith 42-10 in huge upset at UOW Jubilee Oval on Saturday.

A limp finish to the 2016 season and a lacklustre showing in the Charity Shield two weeks ago saw the Dragons and coach Paul McGregor come into the match under pressure despite it being just the season-opener.

Much of the criticism has centred on the club’s attack but the Dragons showed promises about improvements with the football weren’t just hollow words, racking up their biggest score since round 21 of 2015.

McGregor has made no secret of the fact he intends to play a forwards-led power game in attack in 2017 and Saturday saw the early fruits of that new mentality with Joel Thompson scoring a first half double and finishing with a hat-trick while Jack de Belin and Cameron McInnes also crossed.

Gareth Widdop was also outstanding with two tries and seven goals to equal Jamie Soward and Amos Roberts’ club record mark of 22 points in a game.

McGregor admitted he couldn’t have predicted the scoreline but was confident his side could get off to a winning start at home.

“It was nice with the scoreline, I didn’t predict that, but I certainly thought we were in with a fight against a team that are favourites to win the comp,” McGregor said.

“We needed a bit of a boot up the backside after the Charity Shield, that was a blessing. We didn’t game plan for it, we went into it under some fatigue from our training so we weren’t too worried about it but we created some things that day that we saw and wanted to work on a little bit harder.

“Our plan from our performance staff was always about round one. The boys have worked really hard over the last 16 weeks and some of them have been kicked a bit in that period so it’s good to see them pull together and play like that.

“We’ve been working on playing each play instead of playing the set out. We were too rigid in what we did last year and I think the boys went out there and had plenty of intent in what they did.

“I said to the boys after the game that I’ve got a lot of confidence in our playing group and I want them to value themselves very highly because not many people are out there and we’re enjoying that. Let everyone keep kicking.”

Penrith have been widely tipped as genuine premiership contenders and seen by many as the surest bet of round one but were comprehensively outplayed in the opening stanza with young halves Nathan Cleary and Te Maire Martin looking out of sorts.

Joel Thompson crossed from close range in just the fourth minute from a Cameron McInnes short-ball for a 6-0 lead and the margin swelled to 12 when he crossed for his second 10 minutes later.

With precious little football for most of the opening stanza the Panthers managed to hit back when Martin caught the Dragons short on a blindside with Waqa Blake providing ant athletic finish to plant the ball inches inside the chalk.

Peter Wallace’s attempted conversion was waved away, leaving the score at 12-4 10 minutes before the break

Jack de Belin did it all himself just three minutes before the break, shrugging off three defenders to plant the ball under the posts and, with Widdop adding the extras, take a 14-point cushion into halftime.

The interval did little to halt the Dragons momentum with Widdop scoring six minutes after the resumption when he won the race to a deft banana kick from McCrone and added the extras to see the lad balloon to 24-4.

The Panthers out a dent in the deficit when Tyrone Peachey crossed minutes later with Cleary’s conversion cutting the margin to 10 before a piece of individual kick-and-chase brilliance from Josh Dugan saw McInnes cross and re-take momentum for the hosts.

Widdop’s second with 21 minutes remaining put the result to bed before Thompson finished off his hat-trick at the Dragons cruised past the 40-point mark.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-stun-panthers-in-round-one-boilover/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor looking forward after Dragons rout Penrith Panthers
Andrew Parkinson
4 Mar 2017, 7:30 p.m.
r0_96_2892_1722_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Celebration: Dragons forward Jack de Belin is congratulated on his solo try. Picture: Chris Lane

Paul McGregor doesn’t want to talk about last year.

And why would he? The new season has brought plenty of change to the club – and early results.

St George Illawarra routed Penrith 42-10 in their season opener at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah on Saturday afternoon to fire a warning shot to the rest of the competition. It’s a new year, and a new St George Illawarra.

The team had copped plenty of criticism last season and over the summer from all parts, including their own fans. It is early days but their opening result of the 2017 season, and the performance, are cause for great optimism.

Especially for the coach.

“I don’t really want to talk about last year, to be honest. It’s gone,” he said.

“Winning is important [for belief]. You get a nicer environment when you win. And certainly when you lose close games you get disappointed with it but you can still grow from it. Playing in front of your home crowd early in the year is really important and we get to do that again next week which is great. As I said to the boys I’ve got a lot of confidence in our group and I’d just like them to value themselves very high. Because not many people are out there and we’re enjoying that and the boys have got a lot of belief.

“It’s certainly encouraging. the boys have worked very hard over the last 16 weeks. A lot of blokes have been kicked in that period so it’s good to see them pull together and play like they train. To go out there and play like that… I think the boys went out there with a lot of intent. They got off their line hard, backed their fitness.”

The Dragons were poor in their Charity Shield loss to South Sydney a fortnight ago, prompting many to ask what had changed from last season. The answer appears to be plenty.

St George Illawarra were fluent in attack despite greasy conditions. They were tough and uncompromising in defence. They looked incredibly fit. And they looked a class above a Penrith team who had been touted as premiership favourites.

“We sort of needed a boot up the backside after the Charity Shield. That was a blessing. It was nice, the scoreline, obviously I didn’t predict that. But I thought we’d certainly be in for a fight against at team that everyone thought were favourites to win the comp,” McGregor said.

“When a back-rower scores three tries it’s nice. I’ve said it right through the pre-season I think our strength is in our forward pack. We’ve got two experienced front-rowers coming on, not many clubs have that.

“I’m carrying that fourth person on the bench as a utility this year where I shared the minutes last year. But the guys are a lot fitter so I expect the better players to play longer minutes in the middle. I was very impressed today, to start with.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...ls-belief-after-dragons-rout-penrith/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons v Panthers: Five key points
Sat 04 Mar, 2017, 10:16pm
By Martin Gabor ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

The Dragons showed they can be an attacking force with a resounding 42-10 victory over a Panthers side that failed to live up to the pre-season hype.

‌‌Pre-season slog pays off

A torturous off-season paid immediate dividends for the Dragons on Saturday, with their starting pack churning out huge minutes in the 32-point win.

Starting front-rowers Russell Packer (52 minutes) and Paul Vaughan (46) were the only two forwards who didn't play at least 65 minutes, but the pair still managed 174 and 189 metres respectively.

The entire squad looked fitter than 2016, and that was evident as they scored the final three tries of the contest to kill off any hopes of a Panthers comeback.

"You shape your season through your pre-season," coach Paul McGregor said.

"We've got new staff and with new staff brings change. Our new performance manager Nathan Pickworth brought some guys from an AFL background so they've done a lot of running.

"I'm staying right out of that department. I crossed over too much last year into different roles, and I'm just being the coach now which is good."

Record-breaking night

The Dragons' win was their biggest over the Panthers, surpassing their 28-point triumphs in 2001 and 2009. Five-eighth Gareth Widdop's haul of 22 points equalled Jamie Soward and Amos Roberts's club record for a single game, while Saturday night's treble was the first time Joel Thompson had scored a hat-trick at NRL level, adding to the two he scored in Round 26 last year.

Dragons dominate the yardage battle

Making metres wasn't an issue for the Panthers last year, with the mountain men the fifth-best side in that category in 2016. But that form didn't continue on Saturday as they were outrun by nearly 700 metres by the Dragons. Three Red V starters failed to run for 100 metres, while only three Panthers starters cracked triple figures. Where they really struggled was coming out of their own end, and it was clear that they missed the injured Josh Mansour who so often got them on the front foot last season.

‌‌Contrasting night for Fantasy locks

NRL Fantasy coaches were cheering when Jack de Belin crossed for a first-half try that bolstered his score to a whopping 91 points in Round 1, but rival managers were in panic mode after Panthers lock Trent Merrin scored just 32 on Saturday.

Both players are must-haves after stellar 2016 campaigns, but given their price tags, it's unlikely you would have been able to fit both of them into your teams at this stage of the season.

Those with de Belin will still be smiling after the lock forward made 36 tackles, ran for 142 metres, produced five offloads and broke seven tackles to go with his try.

"Jack de Belin is a special player who can play long minutes and he's got good skill with the ball," his coach said.

"He probably could have played the 80 but it got to a stage where we gave him a spell and brought 'Hosty' (Jacob Host) on and he came back to finish the game with 15 minutes to go."

It was a different story for Merrin who played just 44 minutes.

"He got caught in the first half doing a lot of defence," Panthers coach Anthony Griffin said.

"It was his first game of the year. The second half we got him out there, and when the game was on we put Moses [Leota] back out there. He pulled up alright."

http://www.nrl.com/dragons-v-panthers-five-key-points/tabid/10874/newsid/104261/default.aspx