What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SAINTS V PANTHERS.

getsmarty

Immortal
Gareth Widdop stars as St George Illawarra Dragons smash Penrith Panthers
nathan_ryan.jpg

• March 4, 2017 6:21pm
  • Nathan Ryan@nath_ryan
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
LET your actions do the talking.

It’s a rugby league cliché but if Gareth Widdop’s actions were words, they’d be something to effect of ‘give me a new contract’.

Almost four years ago Widdop signed a lucrative deal with St George Illawarra worth close to $650,000 a season or $2.5 million.

Now off-contract and with an uncertain future after the club shelled out $1 million plus a season for Ben Hunt in 2018, the 27-year-old has wasted little time pushing his case.

The five-eighth was brilliant in Saturday’s 42-10 win over Penrith, scoring two tries and setting up another.

While The Panthers’ attack looked disjointed for the bulk of the game, the red V were flying.

1f0aac9cdd85afb0c89f902d93bb6943
The Dragons celebrate with Jack de Belin after he scored a try.Source: Getty Images

The Dragons’ new recruits wasted little time showing their worth with Paul Vaughan making some determined runs, Cameron McInnes scheming around the ruck and Nene Macdonald producing some huge defensive efforts.

The Dragons kicked their season off with McInnes delivering a short ball to Joel Thompson who barged over the top of Matt Moylan and Bryce Cartwright for the first try.

From there Gareth Widdop lifted his side.

After securing repeat set with a perfectly weighted kick, Widdop put a short pass between Cartwright and Te Maire Martin minutes later for Thompson to cross for his second.

Shortly after Martin made up for the defensive lapse when he engaged the line and offloads to Waqa Blake on the flank.

611007_640x360_large_20170304174918.jpg

Martin, Blake make magic try

0:38
Blake pulled off a Superman-like dive to ground the ball just inches from the touch line and reduced the margin by eight.

Four minutes from halftime Moses Leota spilt the ball and Jack De Belin made the Panthers pay.

Off an inside ball from McInnes, De Belin pushed past Peter Wallace, Latu and Moylan before lunging for the line and gifted his team an 18-4 lead at the break.

After losing Drew Hutchison to an ACL injury in the pre-season, Josh McCrone won the battle for the no.7 jersey.

Five minutes into the second half and McCrone produced a banana kick in-field with Widdop beating Wallace and Moylan to the ball to score the try.

The Panthers hit back shortly after when Martin produced a perfectly timed tip on to Moylan who lobbed the ball to Tyrone Peachey who scored in the corner.

e37538358ef21a6b2d0fdbe71dfb6909

Jack de Belin of the Dragons breaks the defence.Source: Getty Images
Trailing 24-10, Cleary made a dive for the line but was denied when McCrone’s knee knocked the ball out.

Seconds later the Dragons went the length of the field with Dugan setting up a try for McInnes when he kicked for himself, regathered and shuffled the ball wide.

“Penrith have been really poor,” Fox Sports commentator Brett Kimmorley said of the Panthers.

“Their attitude has stunk.”

Widdop scored his second after Nightingale picked up a stray pass from Martin and popped the ball up for his playmaker to stroll over.

With 10 minutes remaining Widdop gave a short ball to Thompson who broke the Panthers’ line and the backrower secured his hat-trick, the first of his 10-year career.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/1f8a83789c45d76c7d4f40280cf28cdb

getsmarty

Immortal
Wendell Sailor’s son Tristan scores on debut for St George-Illawarra in the Holden Cup
  • March 4, 2017 5:53pm
  • Source: The Courier-Mail
TRISTAN Sailor, son of former Broncos star Wendell, got his Under 20s career with St George Illawarra to a brilliant start with an intercept try on debut.

Midway through the first half Sailor latched onto a Panthers pass around halfway and showed all of his old man’s speed to race away to score.

It was a bumper day for debutants with Jackson Willis, son of former Magpie Andrew, muscling over for the first try of the Under 20s career early in the match.

The Dragons upset the more fancied Panthers with a strong defensive effort, holding on for an 18-16 victory.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/wen...p/news-story/b78bf6eacfe06d23daa9d6ac5a2ad4f8

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I remember my first and only visit to Kogarah. My old man took me when I was about 10 and haven't had the pleasure to get back.

I remember my old man telling me that one of the guys who sat in the tree outside the ground was banned from entering the ground(not sure how true that was). He was a bald guy who always had his dragons jersey on. Can anyone confirm this story and also remember his name?
It must have been the skull. A self proclaimed neo-nazi who was convicted of committing violent crimes. In his day he was a serial attention seeker who was noted for his hatred of gays, blacks, women and anyone who didn't fit in with his white supremacist ideology. There's a good reason why he was barred from the ground.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Can anyone confirm if Ben Hornby was the on ground waterboy/trainer yesterday? I have the feeling he's relinquished this role to sit next to Mary in the coaches box. He may possibly have a more dominant role within the coaching team.

Just returned from Jakarta and watched the replay

Packer
Vaughan
Thompson
McInnes
LAM
Sims
JDB
Frizzell
Duges
McDonald
McCrone
Widdop

Take a bow !!!!! You were exceptional

Honourable mention for the balance of the 17.

Saints had attitude and intensity. The constant criticism of the team from the media and its supporters stoked an uncontrollable fire yesterday.

Penrith took Saints lightly and appeared flat. They were clearly well below their best.

The real litmus test for the team starts next week. Can the team play consistently with that attitude and intensity ?

We all needed that performance just as much as the players and coach !!!

Couldn't believe it when I saw the score. Pure ecstacy, without the pill or powder

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gareth Widdop was also outstanding with two tries and seven goals to equal Jamie Soward and Amos Roberts’ club record mark of 22 points in a game.
I don't know why certain publications insist on rewriting our history. This is not a 'club' record.

Club records historically include all top grades of both St George and Illawarra as well as St George-Illawarra. This was acknowledged by the St George Illawarra Dragons 'club' years after the joint venture was formed.

The first grade record for most points is 36 points, this is jointly held by Les Griffin (1935) and Jack Lindwall (1947).

Technically speaking, the Club record is held by Wes Naqaima who scored 38 points in 2002 while playing Jersey Flegg. This was published on the Dragons.com.au website:
18 June 2002: Jersey Flegg (third grade) back Wes Naiqama has secured a club record by scoring 38 points. Naiqama crossed for five tries and kicked nine goals from as many attempts to surpass the joint record of 36 points held by Les Griffin and Jack Lindwall.
Griffin scored two tries and kicked 15 goals in 1935 while playing for St George and Lindwall made his mark with six tries and nine goals in 1947 while also donning the ‘Red V’.

FTR, Amos Roberts' 22 points in 2000 stands as a premiership record for a player on first grade debut.

getsmarty

Immortal
I don't know why certain publications insist on rewriting our history. This is not a 'club' record.

Club records historically include all top grades of both St George and Illawarra as well as St George-Illawarra. This was acknowledged by the St George Illawarra Dragons 'club' years after the joint venture was formed.

The first grade record for most points is 36 points, this is jointly held by Les Griffin (1935) and Jack Lindwall (1947).

Technically speaking, the Club record is held by Wes Naqaima who scored 38 points in 2002 while playing Jersey Flegg. This was published on the Dragons.com.au website:
18 June 2002: Jersey Flegg (third grade) back Wes Naiqama has secured a club record by scoring 38 points. Naiqama crossed for five tries and kicked nine goals from as many attempts to surpass the joint record of 36 points held by Les Griffin and Jack Lindwall.
Griffin scored two tries and kicked 15 goals in 1935 while playing for St George and Lindwall made his mark with six tries and nine goals in 1947 while also donning the ‘Red V’.

FTR, Amos Roberts' 22 points in 2000 stands as a premiership record for a player on first grade debut.

Thanks for the update Willow. I Think it may be Widdop's highest personal score for the club ? Either way he had a great game as did the whole team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks for the update Willow. I Think it may be Widdop's highest personal score for the club ? Either way he had a great game as did the whole team.
It would have to be a PB for Widdop.

Definitely not taking anything away from the players on the night. They were fantastic across the ground. To see Thompson, a forward, score a hat trick of tries summed up how dominant the pack were.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Can anyone confirm if Ben Hornby was the on ground waterboy/trainer yesterday? I have the feeling he's relinquished this role to sit next to Mary in the coaches box. He may possibly have a more dominant role within the coaching team.

Spot on didn't notice him on the side line at all.
And i was sitting straight behind the player area

Dragsters

First Grade
WOW!

What a completely dominant performance.

I just got to watch the replay this morning and I must say that was fun to watch.

Our pack was enormous. Just so dominant. This gave the halves the luxury of pushing up into the line and look for options and they did this well all game.

This game plan works as it allows for opportunism which last year's rigid approach did not.

Such a refreshing change.

Widdop was great after looking horribly out of form in the trials. Many of us thought he needed a spell in reggies to rediscover his form but he proved that he is still a quality player.

Nene, Dugan and Aiken were all strong and Flo produced his usual high effort game with a try saving moment and a try assist for the dugan as well.

Paul Vaughan was huge with 180-odd metres in just over 40 minutes and it looks like the rest of the pack have lifted with his added muscle.

I remember seeing Ben Hunt's first interview after signing with us and he said he was looking forward to playing behind this big Dragons pack as that's what all halves look for.

He must be drooling today!

GO THE MIGHTIES!!!

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
Cam McInnes is going to be a very, very good player. Hooker is a position that generally takes several years for players to really make their mark in first grade (see Granville, Friend, Peats, etc). Had to laugh when Souffs fans brushed him off and other refer to him as a reserve grader. He exceeded what I expected of him today, but he will be a very good buy for us.
He was quality. Great to see a smart dummy half whose first instinct is not to run but to direct the ruck. Gave good service all day and helped the pigs get on a roll.