What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A Thread III: Enter 'The Normal One'

cb4

First Grade
Describe Liverpool FC 2017.

James Milnes first penalty miss since 2009.

Forsters first penalty save in the Prem.

saint.nick

Coach
Well that was boring for 95% of the match. Fraser Forster who is more often than not rubbish, has another worldie against us. Cracking penalty save, full credit to him.

Think we got it wrong by not playing Studge for more than 20 mins as well. Did more than Origi in his time on the pitch. Games like this show we truly need much better LB and RB. Final ball from Clyne and Milner just aren't good enough as usual.

Top 4 was in our control and we've let it slip out of our control yet again. Been such a weird season for that.
Well at least it is quickly back in our control now.

Seen quite a few reds fans criticise Klopp for tactics without actually having their own tactical solution. All Liverpool can do is show some more fight and hunger by playing with more intensity and tempo. It just wasn't there.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Well at least it is quickly back in our control now.

Seen quite a few reds fans criticise Klopp for tactics without actually having their own tactical solution. All Liverpool can do is show some more fight and hunger by playing with more intensity and tempo. It just wasn't there.
Only thing I could ask of klopp would be to get players like Sturridge and Lallana on earlier when they're on the bench. Particularly against a side you know will sit 8-9 players behind the ball.

cb4

First Grade
Spent the majority of time buy Southamptons best players and we didn't score a goal against them in 4 games.
The top 4 is in our hands now, hopefully Southampton can do us a favour and draw with the Gunners and Totts beat United because I feel West Ham will do us.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
We just look so toothless at the moment unfortunately. Almost like the pressure of the top 4 situation has cause everyone to go into their shells.

The high press has gone, the movement off the ball has gone and the attack doesnt seem to trust the defence not to concede on the counter. Surely against Saints yesterday we only needed one holding mid in either Can or Lucas not both of them. I feel Lallana could replaced of themfron the get go and we wouldn't been better served.

we can beat Weat Ham for sure but the players have to not be so tentative and scared to play our natural game.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
They are playing f**king scared
Tend to agree nick. They look scared to rip in just in case something goes wrong and we go a goal down. That ties into the lack of mental strength the squad has imo.

Leaders like Stevie G, Carra and Sami would be great for this time of season. Strong leaders who can instil the confidence back into the squad.

saint.nick

Coach
Tend to agree nick. They look scared to rip in just in case something goes wrong and we go a goal down. That ties into the lack of mental strength the squad has imo.

Leaders like Stevie G, Carra and Sami would be great for this time of season. Strong leaders who can instil the confidence back into the squad.
These guys wilt at any pressure imposed on them. They have grinded a few 1-0's lately but they don't do it with any signs of confidence. As soon as a cross is flung into the box and the ball pings between a few heads, it's panic stations.

Foz

Bench
My two cents worth.
First the positive.The keepers been great.Hes playing his best football since he's been here.
The rant:
We haven't had a defender take ownership/control at the back all year so I for one don't expect that to change in the last few games.
Blame the central defenders on that.
Which of the rest would you back to take one for the team so to speak?
Milner I'd back but he still gets lost at times.
Stop gap solution that has to be fixed.
Lucas has a dig when he plays in front of them.He gets beaten too many times but you know he'll have a dig at stopping them.Has to be better options around.
Clyne showed promise of late with some good through balls but is a bit naive with some of his defending.Hes not alone in getting lost marking his man.
The cupboard is pretty bare with defenders I'm afraid.
Problems not going to be fixed this late in the year but Bozo the clown knows we are very ordinary on set plays so the first thing you do to remedy it is go back to man for man marking.Obvious they want to stick with the zonal defence and that's not changing now.
Believe me it falls on Klopps shoulders now if that's not fixed next year.
Sounds harsh on a guy that potentially will get us top 4 but at least we know we can improve so alls not doom and gloom.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Agree with plenty of that foz, can't agree on Clyne tho. We play a system that requires our fullbacks to overlap and provide good service from out wide. He simply doesn't do it. Trent Alexander-Arnold already has a better delivery at such a young age.

saint.nick

Coach
Agree with plenty of that foz, can't agree on Clyne tho. We play a system that requires our fullbacks to overlap and provide good service from out wide. He simply doesn't do it. Trent Alexander-Arnold already has a better delivery at such a young age.
Chelsea this morning scored 3 goals with ease against a team defending with two banks of four. They achieved this because Alonso and Moses were overlapping excellently and players were running in behind the defence. Very simple. Nothing to do with better tactics by Conte, he just has better tools than Klopp does.

The people who think it's a tactical issue with Klopp grate on my nerves. Do they take Klopp for a moron? It's happened to us all season, yet some idiots reckon Klopp and his professional team of coaches can't figure out the obvious solution. I include people like ed002 with that basket of idiots too (how the hell people on that website take ed002's opinions on actual football seriously is beyond me, he even admittedly doesn't watch football much).

The simple matter of fact is that aside from Mane, Liverpool have absolutely no width, and at this point in time are too timid to offset that by making runs behind the defence, because they are scared of losing the ball to a counter attack. Milner is one-footed and playing out of position on the left, while Clyne doesn't seem to have any appropriate attacking intuition, nor does he possess the required passing accuracy and control.

Not only do Liverpool need another wide forward and new fullbacks, I reckon Coutinho should be pushed back into midfield (assuming he stays). We need his creativity in midfield, he likes to drop deep, and his ball-carrying in midfield will create space for a front 3 and also the left fullback overlapping.

Foz

Bench
We've been lucky over the last few years to have an attacker/midfielder with the blinding pace.
Sterling did a job and Mane (whilst a bit different in the way he plays) also stretches the defences with the pace.
The balance of the team goes straight out the window when Manes missing and I think Coutinho suffers more than anyone when he's not there.
Can never underestimate a player with speed.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Sturridge starts up top for LFC and we dont look shit scared to attack again. WHU fell apart in the second half thankfully.

Couts and Studge were very good. Such a shame Studge couldn't stay fit this season. He's what we need up front. A front 3 of Bobby F, Studge and Manè would cause havoc given enough time to develop. Specially if Couts drops deeper and controls our midfield Iniesta style.

Foz

Bench
Been a while since we played 2 strikers away from home like that too.
Good move from Klopp considering West Ham had been playing well with 3 at the back.
Hit the bar about 3 times too so unlucky it wasn't more than 4.
Got lucky just before half time but it was a good performance.
Let's hope we can put in a similar one at home next week..

saint.nick

Coach
Sturridge starts up top for LFC and we dont look shit scared to attack again. WHU fell apart in the second half thankfully.

Couts and Studge were very good. Such a shame Studge couldn't stay fit this season. He's what we need up front. A front 3 of Bobby F, Studge and Manè would cause havoc given enough time to develop. Specially if Couts drops deeper and controls our midfield Iniesta style.
I am so relieved, if we didn't win I would have gone into a mental asylum.

Some people who are saying things like, "See Klopp, that's the formation we need against lower table teams", need to watch that game again. We don't struggle against just any lower team, we struggle against lower teams who defend deep. West Ham did not defend deep at all, they took the initiative and tried to win. They played a high defensive line and Sturridge exploited it. If West Ham sat back with two banks of four, it wouldn't have been as easy as these people think with the 4-4-2 diamond.

Reactions: Foz

saint.nick

Coach
Similar thought I think.
It's the main reason why I was so nervous for this game, West Ham being West Ham, I thought they'd come out and take the piss by parking the bus, just like Southampton took the piss. Thankfully they couldn't be f**ked after their grand final last week. They had their kids on the pitch before the match ffs, just tells you where their heads were at. Not that we care.

thorson1987

Coach
Now if Sunderland can somehow come away with at least a draw at the Emirates on Wednesday morning i will be able to relax Sunday night.

thorson1987

Coach
That result also means Man U can not qualify for CL via the league.

Hopefully Ajax beat them convincingly in Stockholm.