What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hope this is fake news

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Of course McGregor will be re-signed, it is a matter of when NOT if.

Meanwhile continue to expect the calibre of players such as Morris, Merrin, Marshall, Dugan and Packer to leave in their droves.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
hmmm firstly, top 4? Last time I checked we were 5th so not really following.

Definitely hoping this rumour is rubbish. Not saying Dragons don't look like the real deal minus a half back, but it's early in the year, and we've lost some close ones of late, that the champion sides should be winning. Yes if Mary can get us a top 4 finish then I am more than happy, he'd deserve an extension, but we are so far from that at this point.
robbed against the sharks. Saints will be back in the 4 after the bye

On signing with Broncs, Bird was quoted as saying :

“I feel like I’m yet to play my best football. I feel like if I go to Brisbane I could possibly accomplish that playing under Wayne.

That was the main factor. I could go up there and develop myself as a player and person and try and play my best football.

I feel like going up there, I can do that.”

Please tell me which player in their right mind (even when one factors in the low intellect inherent in the rugby league pool generally) would say, could say, any such thing about Mary.

Straight Shooter

thebigredv

First Grade
It's about being in the top 4 when it matters. when it earns you a second chance in finals. the signs are good for mcgregor. he really has turned this team around. he was also the reason we suffered for so long. a bit of time will tell if he can get this team to match it with the big guns when it counts. when origin ends the dust will settle, the comp will resume and that will be the litmus test. there;s no need to rush into signing him now. i wish the club were more onto locking up a replacement for russell but nothing, crickets...

Banjo2014

Juniors
The only talks I would have with Mary is that we will talk at the end of the year. No other club or organization are jumping out of their skins to sign him. We hold the upper hand. Mary we talk at the end of the year old boy. Keep going you're doing a good job

Bench
If he gets the extension I would hope that he looks closely at Field or Dufty and try to give them some time in first grade, off the bench.
One of the league sites said that Laffai is in talks with us regarding an extension.
If he is wrapped up and Mann also it would be as Coach says, moving forward

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Club Management continues to display signs of very weak leadership.

Two internationals just announced they are leaving and you don't just replace that talent. People on here say we have cap issues which is laughable when you look at top tier squads and how they manage the cap and TPA's.

Yes let's rush to sign Mary just like they did Price mid season.

Great strategy by the old boys club because signing him keeps all their jobs safe.

My dad and Frank must be turning hard in their graves. In the golden years we never reappointed a coach until season end and we replaced Coaches even after getting us a premiership because we had better options. That is why we kept winning. We always picked the best team on the day and the best coach at season start.

What a sad club we have become. So corrupt and in-bred.

Saint or sinner

Juniors
He deserves to be extended you want a coach that has happy playing group .and playing for each other ,they are all doing that at moment you an see it in there try celebrations and team song

possm

Coach
If he takes us to a top 4 spot this year then honestly, he deserves the extension. He would have redeemed himself in my eyes (only just).
So you are one of the few people happy with Mary's selection decisions and bench management.

Also happy with his stoush with Millward over the centre/fullback debacle.

Happy with his decisions to use the 'up and in defensive structure without considerations of exposing our far edge on both sides of the field, leading to losses against the Eels and Storm this season.

And happy with his treatment of Mann, Milne and promising juniors Dufty, Field, Lawrie and Kerr this season.

I hope it's not true and if it is, it's time for fans to rise up and get rid of this incompetent administration at St George Illawarra.

There is no logical reason for the Club to extend Mary at this time, in fact there is a logical reason for delaying that decision till end of season.

Last edited:

BankstownDragon

Juniors
I agree with most that we should have waited untill the end of the season, at least semi finals time to make a decision.
Its not like anyone is chasing Mary and no player recruitment or retention hindges on this at this stage.
Betting no one has a coach clause in thier contract with ref to Mary.
If he gets us into the top 4 AND there are no other tip line coaches available then I understand if the board re signd him....even though IMHO I dont agree with it.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I was hoping Millward would view McGregor as an elite waterboy rather than a coach and another club would show more interest in signing him.

possm

Coach
So you are one of the few people happy with Mary's selection decisions and bench management.

Happy with his decisions to use the 'up and in defensive structure without considerations of exposing our far edge on both sides of the field, leading to losses against the Eels and Storm this season.

And happy with his treatment of Mann, Milne and promising juniors Dufty, Field, Lawrie and Kerr this season.

I hope it's not true and if it is, it's time for fans to rise up and get rid of this incompetent administration at St George Illawarra.
I agree with most that we should have waited untill the end of the season, at least semi finals time to make a decision.
Its not like anyone is chasing Mary and no player recruitment or retention hindges on this at this stage.
Betting no one has a coach clause in thier contract with ref to Mary.
If he gets us into the top 4 AND there are no other tip line coaches available then I understand if the board re signd him....even though IMHO I dont agree with it.
The old boy club is in action and have always been looking for a peak period to justify Mary's extension. It's the payback for Mary supporters who backed the Millward appointment and the Young/Hornby appointments.

We need a cleanout before we become another basket case like the Tigers. It's time to seal the deal with WIN TV and clean out this administration no matter what deals were made with Doust, the Young clan and the Millward clan.

Crush

Coach
On signing with Broncs, Bird was quoted as saying :

“I feel like I’m yet to play my best football. I feel like if I go to Brisbane I could possibly accomplish that playing under Wayne.

That was the main factor. I could go up there and develop myself as a player and person and try and play my best football.

I feel like going up there, I can do that.”

Please tell me which player in their right mind (even when one factors in the low intellect inherent in the rugby league pool generally) would say, could say, any such thing about Mary.

Straight Shooter
Why try and compare Mary to the most successful and arguably the best nrl coach ever?
Does that make Flanno a shit coach because bird wants to leave to play for bennett?

Crush

Coach

There is no logical reason for the Club to extend Mary at this time, in fact there is a logical reason for delaying that decision till end of season.
Treatment of mann seems to be a big issue. I agree last year was suspect but this year Mann has been in the team doing a job covering a number of positions. He is our utility and he has said himself that that is his role this year
Milne, I don't see any mis-treatment. Lafai and aitken are ahead of him and he has been getting his chance with Aitken out.
Dufty and field are kids and are learning their craft on the lower grades. If field gets 15 minutes from time to time off the bench thats good experience.
Let me ask you Possm, are you happy with your team playing a tough exciting brand of footy and competing every single week? Are you happy with the team moral being high and players playing out of their skins to keep their spots with young talent knocking down the door?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Crush
Agree very happy with the way we are playing.
Alsp re dugan leaving if anyone was responsible it would be possm mate Milward for coming out publicly re playing centre.
Packer had a offer to good to believe.
It is great to look forward to watching the dragons play like they are .
But I would have waited to resign mary till the season is over.
There is no other available coaches.

Yeah, well what's the alternative anyway? Cleary and Hasler no longer available. No one else out there is any better. He's getting results, easy decision for the board.
I think many have short memories.
Mary was a disaster last year and we sacrificed JD to keep him.
Ask yourself this.
If JD was the coach this year instead of Mary, considering our forward pack and our squad in general, would the results have been much different?
With all due respect to Mary, but with the injection of Vaughn and McInnes + Lafai and Widdop magically coming back into form, how much can you really credit Mary for the turnaround?
We stunk second half of 2015 and we were terrible last year.
I can't just sweep that under the carpet because a 2 or 3 year extension is a massive commitment and a big gamble in my opinion.