What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN TO BE ANNOUNCED A SHARK THIS FRIDAY!

Crush

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...r/news-story/985b1ec03ad8dfbe77212f7d01bea0ad

Interesting article. Josh seems pretty dirty with the club. Whilst I understand where he is coming from, I feel like his ego is getting in the way a little bit here.

This whole thing about "just wanting to hear that I am an elite player" makes him seem a little bit precious.
Arguments both ways, faults on both sides.

Move on I guess.
Interesting he says "loyalty wont pay the bills". What kind of bills does he have when several hundred thousand dollars a year wont pay the bills? I mean, I get that footy players only have a short window to make money but surely after 10 years of footy he will have more money than most of us?
Loyalty wont pay the bills....

Interesting he says "loyalty wont pay the bills". What kind of bills does he have when several hundred thousand dollars a year wont pay the bills? I mean, I get that footy players only have a short window to make money but surely after 10 years of footy he will have more money than most of us?
Do you have any idea how expensive ink is these days?

BringTheNoise

Juniors

Clearly it's a figure of speech. No need to be so pedantic.

denis preston

First Grade
Yep, the extra year was the kicker. If he agreed to a 3 year deal, sure we would have met the 750k he ended up signing for.

The club had to make a call, and estimate what his value would be when he'd be 31 years or age, given he's progressively slowed down over the years and still prone to injury. He's no longer the prodigious attacking threat like he was at the Raiders. That's a big risk of an extra $750k we could use elsewhere.

And we need to keep in mind, we'll have the likes of Vaughan, McInnes, JDB, Friz and any number of our juniors that may need to be re-signed about the same time so we'll need all the cap money we can get.
I'm REALLY comfortable with our position re the Duges. Bloody proud the club didn't get into a bidding war with his manager. Good player but geez look what else we need to keep.

Duges should thank his lucky stars Saints plucked from the dust bin when he was down.

Happy we didn't pay overs for a guy who lacks the skills to play the position of full back.

4 year contract for a guy who is as unlucky as Duges when it comes to injuries. No thanks.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Clearly it's a figure of speech. No need to be so pedantic.
Then why say it?
Why not just tell the truth.

Either I have been offered more money, so adios.

Or I want to reach my potential with another club....just like Bird has come out and said.

Or Saints told me no thanks..so i had to ho somewhere!

Rolling out figures of speech is just a another way of avoiding the truth.

At least Bird said the broncos will make him a better player.

LOL Flanagan and co

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Josh Dugan on Dragons exit: Loyalty won't pay the bills when you're 40

Michael Chammas

All Josh Dugan wanted was a bit of respect. The manner in which St George Illawarra handled its contract negotiations left a sour taste in the mouth of the NSW Origin representative.
Dugan has a great appreciation for the club that provided him with a career lifeline after a series of off-field indiscretions in the nation's capital.
And while he wanted to remain at the club, the loyalty card was never a factor.
"Everyone talks about loyalty but at the end of the day loyalty won't pay the bills when you're 40," Dugan said.
Having been left frustrated by the Dragons' inability to budge on their attempt to pigeonhole him as a centre, the Sharks circled with a different method of negotiation.
While it's likely he ends up playing in the same position he refused to do so at the Dragons, he insists there was a level of disrespect shown by the joint venture.
"Yeah, pretty much," Dugan said when asked if he just wanted respect from the Dragons.
"That's what I tried to say a while ago. The way it panned out, the talk was fullback money or centre money. It was never about that. It was about getting what I thought I was worth as a rep player and being able to play a couple of positions and going from there.
"That's what Flanno's told me. He said, 'look, I'm not going to guarantee you anything but we've bought you as an elite player'. I'm happy with that."
With Valentine Holmes likely to be Cronulla's long-term fullback, Dugan isn't naive to think he will walk straight into the No.1 jersey when he joins the Sharks next year.

Bullsh!t ...........respect my ass.

Dragons - Sorry we didn't say how marvelous and what a elite player you are.
Cronulla - You are such an elite player, were going to offer you the same money as the Dragons.

possm

Coach
Josh Dugan on Dragons exit: Loyalty won't pay the bills when you're 40

Michael Chammas

All Josh Dugan wanted was a bit of respect. The manner in which St George Illawarra handled its contract negotiations left a sour taste in the mouth of the NSW Origin representative.
Dugan has a great appreciation for the club that provided him with a career lifeline after a series of off-field indiscretions in the nation's capital.
And while he wanted to remain at the club, the loyalty card was never a factor.
"Everyone talks about loyalty but at the end of the day loyalty won't pay the bills when you're 40," Dugan said.
Having been left frustrated by the Dragons' inability to budge on their attempt to pigeonhole him as a centre, the Sharks circled with a different method of negotiation.
While it's likely he ends up playing in the same position he refused to do so at the Dragons, he insists there was a level of disrespect shown by the joint venture.
"Yeah, pretty much," Dugan said when asked if he just wanted respect from the Dragons.
"That's what I tried to say a while ago. The way it panned out, the talk was fullback money or centre money. It was never about that. It was about getting what I thought I was worth as a rep player and being able to play a couple of positions and going from there.
"That's what Flanno's told me. He said, 'look, I'm not going to guarantee you anything but we've bought you as an elite player'. I'm happy with that."
With Valentine Holmes likely to be Cronulla's long-term fullback, Dugan isn't naive to think he will walk straight into the No.1 jersey when he joins the Sharks next year.

Bullsh!t ...........respect my ass.

Dragons - Sorry we didn't say how marvelous and what a elite player you are.
Cronulla - You are such an elite player, were going to offer you the same money as the Dragons.
Same money, same position but an extra year when salaries are likely to be far in excess of 700k for a quality centre. Dumb decision by Dugan caused by Millward's incompetence.

What a mess.

Shulman

Juniors
Same money, same position but an extra year when salaries are likely to be far in excess of 700k for a quality centre. Dumb decision by Dugan caused by Millward's incompetence.

What a mess.
So you'd be happy to pay 750k a year for an elite player that can't pass a ball, is lucky to have 1 try assist per season and is injury prone? Now THAT would be a mess.
Let me tell you a little secret....

Walpole

Juniors
Let's face it, when Dugan's 40 he'll be lucky to be digging ditches in Tuggeranong. Take the money and run young Josh.

giboz71

First Grade
Far out - still waffling on about this still. I really hope Dugan shuts up about this, the media jocks can see blood in the water that he is bitter and twisted about this and can see an easy headline from him..

Kinda makes me think Millwatrd declaring him a centre in public suggests both sides weren't too happy with each other. If I had to read between the lines, Duges and his manager came out and demanded over a million a year like has been reported.

Perhaps Millward's centre talk was a very public up yours tio that ridiculous demand from a player, that like many have said lacks basic skills.

End of the day, as soon as Millward went public, I knew it would end in tears. Think we all knew from that point, the club was more than happy to see the back of him, reinforced further when Widdop signed his big extension.

possm

Coach
So you'd be happy to pay 750k a year for an elite player that can't pass a ball, is lucky to have 1 try assist per season and is injury prone? Now THAT would be a mess.
Let me tell you a little secret....
Surely you have seen Dugan pass the ball accurately this year, so why the fake talk. As far as try assists etc. it is possible that Dugan is playing to instructions; run straight and hard. If it was my decision I would have respectfully offered 700k 3 year deal with a club option for a further year. I would have up the figure to 750k to close the deal and I would have tabled the deal in November on a two week timeline. Same for Packer only the offer would have been 600k.

If these offers are accepted, move on to the other first grade players leaving any that I was unsure of until last. However, I would not leave it until late May to begin negotiations with players like Lafai, Mann and Milne.

Under the current structure I would have arrange a meeting with Mary to ensure we are on the same page and agree to present a unified policy on all matters. If this could not happen for any reason, I would ask the football committee to convene the meeting and collectively issue instructions on matters of concern.

No matter what personal views Millward and Mary have on individual players, there should be a common view presented when communicating on the Clubs behalf.

possm

Coach
Kinda makes me think Millwatrd declaring him a centre in public suggests both sides weren't too happy with each other. If I had to read between the lines, Duges and his manager came out and demanded over a million a year like has been reported.

Perhaps Millward's centre talk was a very public up yours tio that ridiculous demand from a player, that like many have said lacks basic skills.

End of the day, as soon as Millward went public, I knew it would end in tears. Think we all knew from that point, the club was more than happy to see the back of him, reinforced further when Widdop signed his big extension.
Negotiations should be conducted in private between the player manager and the club official. Any progress statements should be framed as a joint statement with no emotions included. A final decision should be announced by the player manager followed by club comments.

The attempted retention of Dugan and Packer were handled in a very unprofessional manner on a number of counts. Let's hope Millward has learned something from this experience. I'm sure any new coach would not want him in this role if they indeed wanted the role to be structured in it's current form.

What a mess.

j0nesy

Bench
Depending on what the club chooses to do they may get stalled for journeymen anyway.
I just see no clear pathway for any of them but when you look at Cowboys, Easts, Melbourne, Tigers, Manly, Penrith they are always dotted with youth coming through.
In between time we keep signing drifters and 2nd raters who get a crack at 1st far too often.

There's only really one clear pathway for Mann/Field/Dufty and that's fullback. But Mary refuses to keep it clear. I see Field or Dufty getting the fullback spot. The halves are locked in for 3 years and I suspect the club will re-sign Lafai (but could be wrong) at centre. The only opportunity that I see for Mann at our club is as a utility. There's also an outside chance on the wing as Nightingale ages. So my prediction is that at least one (perhaps 2) of them will leave the club in the next couple of years. If I was to guess I'd say Dufty will leave and Field will stay as a fullback and Mann will stay as a utility. I could be wrong but that's the impression I'm getting from the club.

The club made its decision when it signed Hunt and Widdop for many years on big dollars. Those were both a surprise to me. Personally I would have let Widdop go, given Field/Mann/Hutch a go at 5/8th and kept Dugan. I would have gradually shifted Dugan to centre and given Dufty/Field/Mann a go at fullback. Longer term I would have back Field for 5/8th and Dufty for fullback and would probably replace Dugan at centre with Mann. But that's just my opinion and we all know that anything is possible in footy :)

Latest posts