What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Sounds sensible to me.

Cameron King is no dud and good enough to help through to the end of season. No need to take someone early just because their club wants to get under this year's cap, unless we have a desperate need in their position (e.g Moses)

And maybe we have someone better than Lichaa interested in joining the club at hooker in 2018...

Sort of. If King gets injured (as he has a habit of doing) we are in a bit of a spot. Buying another hooker (not necessarily Lichaa) gives us some cover. Tonise isn't ready (and may never be) and Will Smith can't play 80 minutes there every week. We'd probably have to play Nelson at hooker.

Bazal

Post Whore
Hindy111 2 yrs ago called for Falou to move to edge forward. Few ridiculed me over the comment.
Hearing he is playing his best footy since moving there. We need to offer him and Niakuore a new contract. They both seem like great prospects at edge forward,

Playing his best footy since moving there? Hasn't he legit played one solitary game at edge forward? Seems like you're desperate to get that percentage back into double figures, Mr 8.5%

Folau is a plodder. Let him go to England with the other career plodders. He can start in the centres with Joel Moon or Junior Sa'u or Ben Pomeroy.

phantom eel

First Grade
@ Barry... Nelson could do that - I think we've turned to him before?

Robson could probably provide adequate dummy half service and tackling if available too, especially if Norman and Moses are calling the shots and with Gutherson from the back.

Gronk

Staff member
Parra opted to stick with King could mean that Lichaa wanted $500k x 3.5 years.

Last edited:

eels_fan

First Grade
King may be a stopgap til the end of the year, but surely we are not banking on him or an perennially injured Kaysa for 2018 and beyond.

Apart from Peats & Lichha, are there any other currrent full time first grade halves available for 2018?

Bazal

Post Whore
So are all our options.

Yeah but they're already here....we don't have to pay extra for them. What's the point in burdening our cap with another rubbish player when we could pick one of the players we already have to do the same job? Plus a guy like Lichaa knows he's not getting good money in the off contract period so he's probably jacked his price up thinking we're desperate....

Stagger eel

Staff member
I do not think we need to sign much. Shame we do not have any props in my list above. But we could have 3 backrowers ready a handy half option and a few good backs. Before we go signing guys we need to keep this in mind.

If parra did knock Lichaa back they think Mahoney is ready sooner rather then later perhaps.

The kid won't be player first grade next year...

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Playing his best footy since moving there? Hasn't he legit played one solitary game at edge forward? Seems like you're desperate to get that percentage back into double figures, Mr 8.5%

Folau is a plodder. Let him go to England with the other career plodders. He can start in the centres with Joel Moon or Junior Sa'u or Ben Pomeroy.

He's played about 3 games there. I think this weekend was the first time he's played 80 minutes there. He's running much harder, some decent lines and is smashing players in defence. I think the increase in work-rate and a better attitude can be attributed to him dropping a lot of weight, he looks to be playing about 5kgs less than he was when he played in first grade in the backs.

I too believe he's playing the best footy of his career, much better than when he debuted. Unfortunately for him our team is also better than when he debuted and we have a stack of edge forwards and at this stage I'd still have Niukore ahead of him. If we're able to we should keep him on a 2nd tier deal, if those things are happening next year.

Bazal

Post Whore
He's played about 3 games there. I think this weekend was the first time he's played 80 minutes there. He's running much harder, some decent lines and is smashing players in defence. I think the increase in work-rate and a better attitude can be attributed to him dropping a lot of weight, he looks to be playing about 5kgs less than he was when he played in first grade in the backs.

I too believe he's playing the best footy of his career, much better than when he debuted. Unfortunately for him our team is also better than when he debuted and we have a stack of edge forwards and at this stage I'd still have Niukore ahead of him. If we're able to we should keep him on a 2nd tier deal, if those things are happening next year.

Be that as it may, if a bloke has been so ordinary that it can be said his career best footy boils down to three games or so, he is just not worth keeping IMO. We'll go nowhere with Folau and I'll be keen to see how he's gone over the full season in a few months time, because history suggests he will quickly revert to type....

hindy111

Post Whore
Some players end up good players a little later in career. He may not end up a star but perhaps a bench option. Remember Zeb Taia?

Bazal

Post Whore
Zeb Taia played 100 games for Newcastle, with whom he signed as a 22 year old having had limited opportunities at Parra....he hardly blossomed late. You could argue his career was cut in half by that broken neck but he was a good player either side of that and played international footy for NZ

Folau is no Zeb Taia.

hindy111

Post Whore
His best years was his last few. Id say best year was at Titans.
Johns 22 and had a lot of injuries so a stop start to his career. Sure hey may fade into nothing, but he has the talent and power to become something. I prefer not to give up on these kids to early.

Bazal

Post Whore
And I prefer not to hang on to hangers on at the expense of young talent. Folau is easily replaced from within, kids like Aukafolau, GL, and Tui have loads more potential. None of those kids will be worse than Folau and all of them could very easily be better.

Theres a rumour breaking that one of our players is pregnant and its being hidden because if the NRL finds out they will force him to stand down because playing whilst being pregnant is not allowed.

Latest posts