What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Jerseys, Logos, Sponsor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerô

Juniors
There were Raiders jerseys from the same time that had been made with a little SL logo patch under the NRL patch, if you took the NRL patch off (without ruining the jersey) you had something very different and special.

I've got one somewhere.

Mine would have faded too much to be removing the patch, but I'd love to see this hidden SL logo

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I got mine in 98, and that's what I think too.

Maybe It was surplus stock from SL, or was for SL season 2, and after the NRL was formed they stuck a badge on it and sold it.

Only thing that doesn't make sense is the Nike logo is in the centre, where the SL badge would have been, and the tick is white not black.

Could just be a placeholder jersey for a team that didn't know what comp it would be in the next year.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I think it was only $40-$50

Not in the best condition though

SKiiTTLEz

Juniors
As an Ice Hockey Player and Fan, you do not know how excited I am for NRL-Branded Hockey Jerseys. There was even one point where I attempted to design my own and check the legality of getting it physically made. Of course, that did not go far, but I am glad it seemingly may become a reality. The whole idea of combining two things I love in the world was very exciting.

This was my attempt, the Blue/Yellow colours are not really adopted in the hockey world outside of Team Sweden or the St. Louis Blues. I can't wait!

Attachments

• Parra Hockey Jersey.jpg
    Parra Hockey Jersey.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 21

The Great Dane

First Grade
Mine would have faded too much to be removing the patch, but I'd love to see this hidden SL logo

I can't go get the jersey at the moment, but it's the pictured logo without the "inaugural grand final 1997" embroidered around it, other SL jerseys had it a few times back then but apart from the GF jerseys it was always in a patch with a large white border and not embroidered on (see pic 1) .

662f1eeba8631077e102878080af62c8

grandfinal.jpg
wendell-sailor-and-darren-smith-of-the-broncos-celebrate-victory-the-picture-id71252453

Having done some research into it now I think that they thought we were going to make the grand final and started making some jerseys for us which subsequently weren't used, hence why the logo is embroidered on the Broncos and Sharks grand final jerseys, and the handful of Raiders jerseys I know of with it, but that's just speculation.

The other things about the Raiders jerseys with the little logo on them are that there's no big S patch on them (obviously otherwise they wouldn't have been able to hide it under the large NRL patch), the Nike tick is in the middle of the jersey under the collar instead of on the left breast (like the other 1998 Raiders jerseys), they aren't sponsored, and there're no Raiders logo on them.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
1998 was stitched on badges while 1999 was embroidered logos.
Aware of that, I was referring to the design of the Eels jersey itself.

Point being that Classic may well have gotten their years wrong and that is a 1999 strip?

The Marshall

Juniors
Aware of that, I was referring to the design of the Eels jersey itself.

Point being that Classic may well have gotten their years wrong and that is a 1999 strip?

I'm not sure I just had a quick Google and did they wear the predominantly blue in 1998 and yellow in 1999?
71004069.jpg

john-simon-of-the-eels-makes-a-break-during-the-round-11-nrl-match-picture-id71420979

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I presumed they were just home & away jerseys and switched between the two, although I'm having a hard time trying to find anything from 1999 involving the blue kit. I do know they wore the yellow in 1998 v Canterbury in *that* prelim final.

Zigwaa

Bench
What's the story behind the Kokoda Challenge jersey for the sharks? (apart from being a tribute to the Kokoda Trail)

Knightmare

Coach
Parra wore those same blue/ gold alternates in 1998/99, only difference was the NRL badge/ embroidered badge. I noticed that in Classics' '99 Dragons reproduction they've also gone with the sewn on badge, and the NRL logo is larger than it was originally.

I don't get how Classic could get this wrong when they made the originals in the first place? How difficult would it be to source an original and go "Ok- badges need to be THIS size, embroidered etc"???

Even more of a head f**k is that they didn't make quite a few of the originals they're now reproducing (Broncos, Knights, Raiders, Cowboys etc) yet they're sticking the old Classic logo on them. Yet they made Newtowns' jersey in the early 80's yet the 1981 reproduction has no Classic logo on it.

Surely the logical thing to do would be to go:

Did Classic make the original?

a) Yes- completely faithful reproduction, down to the logos being embroidered or not, Classic logo in the right place. Sell 'em
b) No- as faithful a reproduction as possible, no Classic logo except on the tag. Sell 'em

In this day and age of quick internet image sourcing, you don't need to be the David Middleton of Rugby League jerseys to get it right FFS.

Not sure if they're inept or completely taking the piss...

Parra wore those same blue/ gold alternates in 1998/99, only difference was the NRL badge/ embroidered badge. I noticed that in Classics' '99 Dragons reproduction they've also gone with the sewn on badge, and the NRL logo is larger than it was originally.

I don't get how Classic could get this wrong when they made the originals in the first place? How difficult would it be to source an original and go "Ok- badges need to be THIS size, embroidered etc"???

Even more of a head f**k is that they didn't make quite a few of the originals they're now reproducing (Broncos, Knights, Raiders, Cowboys etc) yet they're sticking the old Classic logo on them. Yet they made Newtowns' jersey in the early 80's yet the 1981 reproduction has no Classic logo on it.

a) Yes- completely faithful reproduction, down to the logos being embroidered or not, Classic logo in the right place. Sell 'em
b) No- as faithful a reproduction as possible, no Classic logo except on the tag. Sell 'em

In this day and age of quick internet image sourcing, you don't need to be the David Middleton of Rugby League jerseys to get it right FFS.

Brilliantly well said.

Think half the problem is that whoever is in charge of the Retros at Classic doesn't have the same eye for detail as jersey nerds and is that these retros are made out of China so I think there is a break down in communication on all sides. Which is why we end up with half arsed Retros with different colours to the the orignals, badges incorrect, sponsors in wrong positions etc.

You'd think that they would get it spot on each time, especially if they did the original.

toomuchsoup

Juniors

Maaaan that really grinds my gears

How bloody hard can it be

Doesn't matter though, most people won't notice so they'll still make their money

The Great Dane

First Grade

Maybe they do it to make it harder for someone to buy them and then attempt to on sell them as originals.

The Dragons one is shocking. The parts that really irritate me though:

- NRL logo is too big, and STGI shield is sewn on rather than sewn into the V
- St George Bank logo on sleeve is transferred on rather than a sewn on patch (and only says St George rather than St George Bank)

Status
Not open for further replies.