What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin Disappreciation Society

roofromoz

First Grade
Yes, Griffin has one of the better win percentages, only behind Willey, Gould and Lang. But he also has one of the most talented squads assembeld in our history. More importantly, the question is can he deliver us a premiership? Time will tell.

Kilkenny

Coach
When an absolute Panthers tragic that my wife is has lost total faith in our coach I have to acknowledge it is surely time for a change.

Despite taking us to a second semi final appearance in his two years at the helm it is clear from this season we have regressed rather than improving.

There is no offensive structure in our play and despite our winning run which got us into the playoffs we were largely unconvincing in most of those victories.

I will say however we have a few players who are vastly overrated and overpaid and there may need to be another cleanout in the near future ie next season.

For me this season has been one of the most disappointing in my fifty years of supporting the Panthers which given we have made the playoffs is saying something.

forby

Juniors
At least we are in the final for the third time in four years. I have also been 50 years following the Panthers, and this is what we have always wanted - consistent finals appearances.
Firsts, ISP, NYC all in the finals! We should be celebrating not moaning!
Perhaps that is a sign of the success, that we aren't satisfied with finals, we want even more!

Kilkenny

Coach
At least we are in the final for the third time in four years. I have also been 50 years following the Panthers, and this is what we have always wanted - consistent finals appearances.
Firsts, ISP, NYC all in the finals! We should be celebrating not moaning!
Perhaps that is a sign of the success, that we aren't satisfied with finals, we want even more!

It is amazing given we are in uncharted territory 3 out of 4 as you say. It does however feel hollow given the way we have played this season. A handful of decent performances if that. A season almost totally devoid of structure, set plays and a playing roster which for the most part most players went backwards rather than having improved this season which for mine is the biggest concern.

forby

Juniors
But remember this is the youngest, most inexperienced team in the comp. there will be ups and downs for a lot of the young ones, and for some there has been some second year syndrome.
Onwards and upwards as they say!

Panfa

Juniors
Griffin has a pass mark from me not many coaches have come from 7 losses in there first 9 games and made the semis sure its been somewhat of a disappointing season in terms of losing to most top 8 teams but i dont think we have had a full strength team on the park once all yr.Ive followed the panthers since 89 and we rarely go back 2 back semi final series give the bloke a go hes done wonders with our juniors the senior players have let griffin down this yr.If it comes down to either griffin or moylan and 1 needs to go id punt moylan we dont need another jarryd hayne here at penrith

The Realist

Juniors
4/10 (slightly Generous)

Having had a talented but young roster in 2016, we had it 'Strengthened' for this year and many of our younger players and rookies had an extra years experience under their belt, as well as a full extra year under Griffin.

We have also had the easiest draw but have only just managed to scrape into the finals with our form going backwards.

Our attacking structure is non-existent, our error rate is still far too high, and we still miss far too many tackles.

We have regressed from last year, and I think it is BECAUSE we have had more time with this coach, and the influence of previous coaches (Cleary/Brennan) is waning.

Whilst being pre season equal favourites was silly, we should have expected Top 4, with 5th or 6th considered acceptable.

OldPanther

Coach
4/10 (slightly Generous)

Having had a talented but young roster in 2016, we had it 'Strengthened' for this year and many of our younger players and rookies had an extra years experience under their belt, as well as a full extra year under Griffin.

We have also had the easiest draw but have only just managed to scrape into the finals with our form going backwards.

Our attacking structure is non-existent, our error rate is still far too high, and we still miss far too many tackles.

We have regressed from last year, and I think it is BECAUSE we have had more time with this coach, and the influence of previous coaches (Cleary/Brennan) is waning.

Whilst being pre season equal favourites was silly, we should have expected Top 4, with 5th or 6th considered acceptable.

Pretty much this. Just give Brennan the job next year. He seems capable.

Bob

Juniors
4/10 (slightly Generous)

We regress under all coaches, just check our history, our biggest problem is not physical, we have always been a mentally weak team
I like griffin, his win percentage is very good, I don't think Ciraldo is the right assistant for him, I also think we are missing Alex Melville as an assistant
For next year I'd like to see us offer ex Gold Coast coach Henry an assistants job as well as Cartwright for the forwards coach

TheFrog

Coach
We have also had the easiest draw
I'd argue the Dragons and Eels had it easier. We had to travel to Brisbane, Townsville, Melbourne and Auckland for a start.
we should have expected Top 4, with 5th or 6th considered acceptable.
We were on track for that until the last two games (other results mean we could not have made the top 4 as far back as the Souths loss), for 6th until the last game. Something has gone wrong with the team since the Canberra match. Pretty obvious what that is but just sacking a hitherto successful coach won't get to the bottom of the issues, and its just not going to happen anyway. I'm just hoping this can be papered over this week so we can go into next week's final with our minds on the job. There is a complete off season to sort out the Moylan situation.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
You want to just sack the coach without even knowing what the issues are? And while we are still alive in the competition too.

I'd wait for the off season obviously. Regardless of the current issues he is a shocking coach.

TheFrog

Coach
I'd wait for the off season obviously. Regardless of the current issues he is a shocking coach.
You know, I don't feel that I am qualified to critique someone who is at the top of their field. Especially without having all relevant information available. Like brain surgeons, all you can do is rely on results. So I don't really have an opinion on whether Griffin is a good or bad coach. But 56% at this club is pretty successful, especially with such an inexperienced side.

OldPanther

Coach
You know, I don't feel that I am qualified to critique someone who is at the top of their field. Especially without having all relevant information available. Like brain surgeons, all you can do is rely on results. So I don't really have an opinion on whether Griffin is a good or bad coach. But 56% at this club is pretty successful, especially with such an inexperienced side.

I pay lots of money to support the club. I'll have an opinion. We beat 1 top 8 team this year. At the very least don't re-sign him until next year. He has a year left on his contract anyways. Wait to see what results he gets.

martielang

Bench
I pay lots of money to support the club. I'll have an opinion. We beat 1 top 8 team this year. At the very least don't re-sign him until next year. He has a year left on his contract anyways. Wait to see what results he gets.

I think he's already been re-signed for another couple of years...

The top 8 win/loss debate though is a bit skewed. We played those sides at the start of the year when we were goin like busteds & when we had a bit of a run & played a top 4 side, we won, as well as winning a couple of hard road trips.

I guess people would argue we were goin like busteds cos we couldn't match it with the top sides so it's a bit of a chicken v egg debate.