What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin Disappreciation Society

maple_69

Bench
A lot of people are saying we had players go backwards. Who are we talking about specifically? Tamou obviously. Peachey probably. Cartwright, Moylan and Merrin all had down seasons but also very interrupted seasons. I don't think anyone else really returned less than what you'd expect given the opportunities they were delivered on the field. I don't think our problem or Griffins problem is man management or development. Our structure in attack particularly, but also defence (strong scramble frequently papered over this) is woeful.

I've stayed out of the Griffin conversation until now. He deserved a few years chance. The fact is though we are now at a point in the clubs history where we have been rebuilding for a decade (and 6 years since Gould seriously got it going), have the strongest crop of juniors we have ever had at our disposal and arguably our strongest squad ever. It's great that we've started to make the finals consistently but at a certain point you need to attempt to win titals. You don't get a squad like this very often. It's a squad with a top class spine we could build around for a decade while supplementing around them with quality, cheap juniors. It's the Melbourne model for a dynasty. If we piss away this chance to deliver sustained success and maybe a few premierships it would be unforgivable.

There's a lot of types of coaches out there. There's guys who are just plain not good enough. Elliott/Kearney are prime examples. There are guys that are born winners. Bellamy/Bennett. There are guys who can get a squad to improve, compete and seperate themselves from medocrity but can't take the next step. Brian Smith is THE example here. I think on 2 years (plus time at Brisbane) evidence Griffin is in the third camp. It's not what we need. He could fill a useful role at another club. I wouldn't call him a bad coach. We need a winner though and he isn't it.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
My opinion:

Gone backwards or stalled under Griffin:

Cartwright
Cleary (controversial, but I don't see any improvement in this running of the game or his kicking. Still... 19 years old)
Tamou
Whare (injury-related)
Kikau
JFH (injury-related)

Up and down:

Merrin
Blake
Peachey
Moylan

Improved:

Yeo
Wallace (because of positional shift, but recent performances threaten his position here)
RCG

Stayed the same:

Mansour
DWZ

First Full Year:

Edwards
CHN
Katoa
May

I'm not sure he is all that good at developing players. At least on current evidence.

franklin2323

Immortal
My opinion:

Cartwright
Cleary (controversial, but I don't see any improvement in this running of the game or his kicking. Still... 19 years old)
Tamou
Whare (injury-related)
Kikau
JFH (injury-related)

Up and down:

Merrin
Blake
Peachey
Moylan

Improved:

Yeo
Wallace (because of positional shift, but recent performances threaten his position here)
RCG

Stayed the same:

Mansour
DWZ

First Full Year:

Edwards
CHN
Katoa
May

I'm not sure he is all that good at developing players. At least on current evidence.

Merrin and Moylan have been injury related too

My opinion:

Cartwright
Tamou
Whare (injury-related)
Kikau
JFH (injury-related)

Up and down:

Merrin
Blake
Peachey
Moylan

Improved:

Yeo
RCG

Stayed the same:

Mansour
DWZ

First Full Year:

Edwards
CHN
Katoa
May

Hmm, I disagree about Cleary's running game. I think that's where he has improved. His kicking is another issue though, we need a secondary kicker at 5/8.

Wallace to me has gone backwards, injuries and age are getting the better of him.

mxlegend99

Referee
If he gets a win tonight then I think he deserves some credit for improving on last year. A loss will have matched it, but i think anything less than improving on last year is a failure.

We were supposed to be better for the experience of last year. But 12 months later we haven't looked as good yet IMO. Win tonight and its hard to argue against getting to week 3 of finals.

franklin2323

Immortal
If he gets a win tonight then I think he deserves some credit for improving on last year. A loss will have matched it, but i think anything less than improving on last year is a failure.

We were supposed to be better for the experience of last year. But 12 months later we haven't looked as good yet IMO. Win tonight and its hard to argue against getting to week 3 of finals.

I disagree we are worse off regardless of tonight. We have had 16 or less against us in 6 of the last 8 games. Indvidual brillance last year got us to this stage. This year Bryce has struggled. Moylan has barely played lost Merrin, Wallace have missed games. Means this year to get to this stage is a huge achievement.

I think the struggles of this year will help more. Most of these guys haven't had a bad year ever all through juniors. So to do it is great to build confidence

MrBlack

Juniors
We have had injuries (some more significant) with Mansour, Whare, Moylan, Wallace, Merrin, and Cartwright.

Off Field issues with Moylan and Cartwright.

A 2-7 start to the year.

And here we are in the final 6, looking to go to a grand final qualifier.

I would say it has been a very challenging year, but the response by the players has been outstanding.

Our year this year could be viewed as similar to the Roosters last year and they finished second last.

Lets not forget players that have stepped up, who would not have been considered at the start of the year as regular starters - namely the likes of CHN, May and Edwards.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Think Tamou is a bit harsh, he was going backwards before he went to the Pennies.

Cartwright, IMO off field stuff cruelled his season, hard to blame the coach

But Moylan geeezzz....the guy has gone so far backwards he ain't even playing and he is the f**king captain.

I think it could be argued also Cleary would excel under just about any coach.

Outside looking in and all that.

OldPanther

Coach
I'm going to be angry if they've re-signed Griffin and they have a crap start again. No excuse 3 years running.

Kilkenny

Coach
Some of you guys are just going to have to get used to the fact Moylan will be playing somewhere else next season.

Disappointing in one respect but at the same time it is what it is and the club clearly believes we need to retain Edwards and Cleary, perhaps Tyronne May as well, so it's the nature of the salary cap.

This whole issue isn't exactly all the club, Matty Moylan has played a role in the situation as well rightly or wrongly.

Some of you guys are just going to have to get used to the fact Moylan will be playing somewhere else next season.

Disappointing in one respect but at the same time it is what it is and the club clearly believes we need to retain Edwards and Cleary, perhaps Tyronne May as well, so it's the nature of the salary cap.

This whole issue isn't exactly all the club, Matty Moylan has played a role in the situation as well rightly or wrongly.
issue is Nathan is as good as gone after what Gus did to his dad. Id love love to be wrong about that but I doubt it

Latest posts