What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

El Diablo

Post Whore
No because the growth hasn't happened and what growth there has been has been far far more due to the hundreds of Millions of $'s invested by AFL than anything the NRL has or hasn't done. Swans haven't really grown in 20 years, GWS bah, AFL Tv audience in Sydney? yeh right. Again take a look at the actual evidence rather than your perceptions. Reality is NRL isn't weaker than pre 2000 and AFL or union isn't stronger post mergers and cull.

Myth 1 AFL and Union clubs are prospering in Sydney
Myth 2 Rival codes are taking over the juniors due to clubs being merged/culled

So despite NRL still having nine clubs and AFL only two, and union only one they are taking over RL jnrs? Yeh right. This would suggest you don't need nine teams to take over?? Your arguments are actually advocating that nine teams are not necessary to be successful.

Again you have no evidence. Even miserable Gus Gould lays claim that Jnr numbers in WS are some of the highest of all time.

Awaits Myth 3 from Stallion backed up with no facts and pure speculation

It's not relevant to NRL so of little interest to me or most on here. You seem somewhat AFL fixated.

Why would I reply to a post on afl?

Stallion

First Grade
Some union blokes talking up union, my god how will RL possibly survive with just nine clubs in Sydney? quick bring back Glebe!

Read the anecdotal information ive provided and yes even though this ultimately is an argument that is intertwined with crowds and popularity I will also

Again show me some evidence, show me some facts, explain to me why afl with 2 or union with 1 are taking over despite nine nrl clubs. Your perception has no bases in reality.

Ive shown u anecdotal evidence yet u ignore it. Being on the ground as a teacher gives me first hand witnessing of what is going on. I will also avoid any more chat about this subject on this thread even though its integrally related to popularity and undermining comments that can damage the game by those who can but dont want to know better.

Last edited:

HHH

Juniors
anyone see Todd Greenburg tonight on NRL 360
when asked why crowds are down and how to improve them his answer was "crowds won't improve until we fix our stadiums and have world class stadiums"

Um Todd how about you fix what you can control, like scheduling blockbusters on Thursday night or better yet get rid of thurdays and 6pm Friday

that alone would boost our averages up 1500 a game

LineBall

Juniors
when asked why crowds are down and how to improve them his answer was "crowds won't improve until we fix our stadiums and have world class stadiums"

Um Todd how about you fix what you can control, like scheduling blockbusters on Thursday night or better yet get rid of thurdays and 6pm Friday

I've heard him say the same thing about a week ago. He's delusional if he believes new stadiums alone will be the panacea for poor attendance.

footy75

Bench
You astound me with your ignorance! A recent interview with a rugby union administrator on the BSB had informed that playing numbers in junior ranks have increased and the same is happening with AFL. My eyes and ears arent painted on. This stuff is happening! God help rugby league if u ever had tangible influence! My word you are extremely ignorant and apathetic to common sense. Btw im on the ground in my employment as a teacher and take an interest in what kids are playing. I am seeing whats going on.

Good post and what´s your take on what kids are playing more now? it´s soccer right?

Stallion

First Grade
Good post and what´s your take on what kids are playing more now? it´s soccer right?

Thanks. Soccer has always been popular, even when I was growing up. Its the inner city schools that rugby league has abandoned. Alot of kids are playing union and some AFL . One school I taught at Merewether Heights public had only union and soccer players with the son of a rugby league player the only one playing rugby league. This school had not been visited by a Knights development officer for 7 years. The inner city Catholic schools are not playing rugby league either. I teach in both domains.

Perth Red

Post Whore

3 1/2 years ago in his last role he is on record saying crowds were a concern and nrl was going to fix them. Hmmm still waiting Toddy. Stadiums will no doubt help the few clubs that they will benefit but what about the other 6 clubs that won't be playing in new stadiums, or the clubs that are already in new stadiums and getting small crowds?

Roosters arent going to change with a new Allianz, doubt a revamped anz will do much formsouths or Bulldogs, in fact the only clubs were stadium is likely to have a significant impact are cowboys and eels.

footy75

Bench
Thanks. Soccer has always been popular, even when I was growing up. Its the inner city schools that rugby league has abandoned. Alot of kids are playing union and some AFL . One school I taught at Merewether Heights public had only union and soccer players with the son of a rugby league player the only one playing rugby league. This school had not been visited by a Knights development officer for 7 years. The inner city Catholic schools are not playing rugby league either. I teach in both domains.

It´s funny, when I was growing up it was NRL or AFL depending on what state you were in and only the Italians played soccer.

Soccer has become huge amongst all kids now. It´s taken over both NRL and AFL at junior level now.

Stallion

First Grade
It´s funny, when I was growing up it was NRL or AFL depending on what state you were in and only the Italians played soccer.

Soccer has become huge amongst all kids now. It´s taken over both NRL and AFL at junior level now.

In Newcastle it was soccer and rugby league. Although union had its presence as well. Rugby league has definitely declined in the inner city schools with union taking up the slack. Soccer remains as popular as ever. The Premier league in England is very popular amongst young boys. It was when I was growing up as well. Im the son of a soccer player who migrated from Europe. Mum wouldn't let me go over the rail line to play soccer and I went across the road to the local rugby league ground. Mind you all my longtime mates are good soccer players and I was an all round sportsman who could play all codes.

beave

Coach
I just spent 6 weeks in the states for work and went to 3 baseball stadiums (Dodgers, Padres, Giants) and an NFL pre-season game at the LA Coliseum. The baseball game tickets were really cheap ($20-$30) the NFL game we paid $60 a pop for pretty shitty seats (the Coliseum is a piece of crap) but the one thing that was similar was the high cost of food and drink at both MLB and the NFL events. Beers ranged from $13-$16 depending on what brand, hot dogs ranged from $6-$8. A box of corn chips with canned cheese on top that was paraded as 'nachos' was generally the cheapest option but would still set you back $6-$8. I grabbed a brisket burger at the NFL, a combo of that and a packet of chips was $16. These are all yank prices.

Parking at the LA Coliseum, we drove up a side street and a lady approached us if we wanted to park on her street, we said yes so she moved her car from the curb and we parked in her place. Cost was $40. Other areas ranged from $60-$100 to park.

I know we like to bitch and gripe about how much our games cost to attend but we dont pay anywhere near that much to attend NRL games. I dont know how the average american attends sporting events. Wages over there are a generally a lot lower than ours.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I just spent 6 weeks in the states for work and went to 3 baseball stadiums (Dodgers, Padres, Giants) and an NFL pre-season game at the LA Coliseum. The baseball game tickets were really cheap ($20-$30) the NFL game we paid $60 a pop for pretty shitty seats (the Coliseum is a piece of crap) but the one thing that was similar was the high cost of food and drink at both MLB and the NFL events. Beers ranged from $13-$16 depending on what brand, hot dogs ranged from $6-$8. A box of corn chips with canned cheese on top that was paraded as 'nachos' was generally the cheapest option but would still set you back $6-$8. I grabbed a brisket burger at the NFL, a combo of that and a packet of chips was $16. These are all yank prices.

Parking at the LA Coliseum, we drove up a side street and a lady approached us if we wanted to park on her street, we said yes so she moved her car from the curb and we parked in her place. Cost was $40. Other areas ranged from $60-$100 to park.

I know we like to bitch and gripe about how much our games cost to attend but we dont pay anywhere near that much to attend NRL games. I dont know how the average american attends sporting events. Wages over there are a generally a lot lower than ours.

Good info. But much bigger population in the U.S.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

While I agree with your general point, it's highly fanciful to suggest averages would climb by 1,500 per game on this alone.

big hit!

Bench

that's a shit area! did it still have wheels on it when you got back to it?

big hit!

Bench
While I agree with your general point, it's highly fanciful to suggest averages would climb by 1,500 per game on this alone.

probably not initially as folks have been conditioned now to not attend games and watch it on tele.

new stadia will provide a spike while they're shiny and new, but that will quickly drop off if the NRL persist with playing finishing games at 10pm on a thursday night, or starting them during friday arvo peak hours.

but we're stuck with this for another 4 years so watch the crowds dwindle further

big hit!

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/greater-w...ow-sees-them-as-an-asset-20170918-gyjpw4.html

typical NRL media here.....deflect. seems to be taking the line of 'yeah NRL crowds are shit, but this mob are just as bad so it's a Sydney thing.

ahhh no. the giants are 6 years old. rugby league has been in sydney for over a century. swans manage to pull 30k to home games regularly these days. difference is the AFL don't schedule them to play every thursday night or at friday 6pm

Vee

First Grade

They didn't call him out on scheduling? Sound like a puff-piece.

beave

Coach
that's a shit area! did it still have wheels on it when you got back to it?

Mate, I wasn't real comfortable parking there but none of us knew anywhere else to go so we just prayed to god the hire car was still there when we got back....... it was thankfully.

T-Boon

Coach
new stadia will provide a spike while they're shiny and new, but that will quickly drop off if the NRL persist with playing finishing games at 10pm on a thursday night, or starting them during friday arvo peak hours.

This is true. Though, even if everything else stays the same (i.e. crappy start times for the sake of maximising TV $) my opinion is that the clubs can increase crowds by improving the game day experience. Fan leaves the stadium thinking they got good value for their money way more likely to come back.

They could change dozens of small things (extra friendly service from ushers instead of sour faced bitches, free small game day magazine, catch the ball keep the ball, tailgating, team sings its victory song in front of the members section so they can join in, if season ticket holder attends all home games they get 30% off next season ticket.....etc etc etc). Clubs are spending too much on gold plated gyms and not enough on game day.

Last edited:

Latest posts