What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legacy of the 'big 3'

Perth Red

Post Whore
They've had continued success on the back of players that were retained using payment vastly in excess of the salary cap. I think that's wrong, and that counts for nothing - but that's still what I and plenty of others see as a fair punishment.

Clubs are legally only required to register players under a cap amount. You cant just rip up all contracts and say start again. Storm shed a lot of talent they developed, and still remained successful, such is the greatness of the club.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Clubs are legally only required to register players under a cap amount. You cant just rip up all contracts and say start again. Storm shed a lot of talent they developed, and still remained successful, such is the greatness of the club.
So they still benefit from retaining players they have via payments in excess of the cap - and they had the luxury of picking and choosing who they get to keep. That's a bullshit punishment and hardly indicative of the 'greatness of the club'.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So they still benefit from retaining players they have via payments in excess of the cap - and they had the luxury of picking and choosing who they get to keep. That's a bullshit punishment and hardly indicative of the 'greatness of the club'.

No they had to prove the players they were retaining were under the cap. There was no excess payments. If some of the players contracts had to be changed to get under the cap they would have been free agents and could have chosen to move elsewhere. Storm shed plenty of top talent and still stayed competitive, a sign of a great team that is much more than how much a player is being paid.

If storm had gone out and signed a load of established superstars then I think people might agree with you, I think tempering your called for punishment is that they developed their stars, not poached them.

Generalzod

Immortal
With no fear of relegation there is no real punishment that would legally stand up that is a deterrent. Storm were dealt with about as harsh as you can get, and Eels had a go anyways.

Now looking at the slap on the wrist for Sharks and Manly's possible alleged rumoured avoidance all together, systemic doping of your players seems a lighter punishable way of cheating in the NRL.
I know you hate the Sharks but seriously systemic who the f**k do you think was driving the Sharks doping program Lance Armstrong get the f**k out of here none of the Sharks players where tested for any illegal substance use....

Last edited:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
No they had to prove the players they were retaining were under the cap. There was no excess payments. If some of the players contracts had to be changed to get under the cap they would have been free agents and could have chosen to move elsewhere. Storm shed plenty of top talent and still stayed competitive, a sign of a great team that is much more than how much a player is being paid.

If storm had gone out and signed a load of established superstars then I think people might agree with you, I think tempering your called for punishment is that they developed their stars, not poached them.
Nah. It's the Brisbane model of signing up loads of potential quality and denying other clubs access.

Saxon

Bench
I know you hate the Sharks but seriously systemic who the f**k do you think was driving the Sharks doping program Lance Armstrong get the f**k out of here none of the Sharks players where tested for any illegal substance use....
Dank and Flannel were driving it - all organised and concealed, sounds systematic to me. Players pleaded guilty. End of.
Pissweak backdated bans and a slap on the wrist to the club. Although, to be fair, it wasn't as if you had any silverware they could take off you.

Nice thinking Pete, but its actually worse than you envision. News Limited and the Storm would have been left to payout the full contracts (overs and all) as its obligations to the players. NRL players are non assignable without the player's consent, that is why clubs are unable to freely trade players like you see in MLB where a players turns up to find that this week they're playing for a club in another city miles away.

The obligation on contractors to mitigate losses does not extend to moving cities and states. Soooooo,
the big 4 (or the big 3) could have agreed to all play for Brisbane or the Titans - all on minimum pay salary contracts, while the Storm had to pay their full contract minus the minimum. This then leaves the new club in an even better squad and legal cap position than the Storm who were cheating over the cap,

This is a scenario the NRL could not reasonably let happen for the sake of its fans.

In terms of fans' resentment of the rort, the NRL did well to get the big 4 down to 3 in the face of restraint of trade restrictions.
MY solution

The club pays those contracts out and can not sign them back

But what about the players? Who gives a flying f**k they're a pack of cheats, they can either slip in where needed by other teams or have a season of being Gordon f**king Tallis, sitting there in the stands like pure f**kwits

The players knew and were complicit, Captain Contact signed 3 of the f**kers and got a free kitchen, the Goanna got matching boats for him and daddy, Ninjabitch reckons he asked if it was legal because he knew it wasn't, Villageman also signed 2 f**king contracts

They knew they were cheating and still didn't give a f**k

SBD82

Coach
Storm management: who wants more money?

Storm players: yep. Where do I sign?

Storm management: ok, but just so you know, if anyone finds out, blokes on Internet forums are going to call you nasty things in ten years time.

Storm players: why the f**k are you still talking? Give me the goddamn pen.

coolsteve

Juniors
should have taken the amount of $ over the cap and take that off their next years cap or however many years they cheated for. so if they were $3.5m over a year for 3 years, take $3.5m every year over next 3 years cap. only fair

myrrh ken

First Grade
Dank and Flannel were driving it - all organised and concealed, sounds systematic to me. Players pleaded guilty. End of.
Pissweak backdated bans and a slap on the wrist to the club. Although, to be fair, it wasn't as if you had any silverware they could take off you.

Flanno wasnt involved. That was the problem.

Life's Good

Coach
should have taken the amount of $ over the cap and take that off their next years cap or however many years they cheated for. so if they were $3.5m over a year for 3 years, take $3.5m every year over next 3 years cap. only fair
You would still have to take any silverware though. Clubs would take a hit for a couple/few years if it meant winning a comp.
I do agree money is one part of the punishment though.

Fruit from the poisoned tree

A policeman can find a murderer murdering in their own house but without a warrant or without a reason for entering that murder is unpunishable and everything they find in that house is fruit from the poisoned tree meaning it cannot be used

M2D2

Bench

A policeman can find a murderer murdering in their own house but without a warrant or without a reason for entering that murder is unpunishable and everything they find in that house is fruit from the poisoned tree meaning it cannot be used
88712cfec4fc031df0aee5628efcf84b154a78830b2882461b62765bc77571bd.jpg

myrrh ken

First Grade
Calves blood was entirely legal as any effect it had was merely placebo, it was injected into muscle

Wasnt legal if you injected intravenously. I suppose the nurse was there at josh perry's house just to administer band aids to the boys. Lance armstrong loved the stuff

The whole thing was suss so id be careful pointing the finger.

Life's Good

Coach

So I can murder someone in my house but because the police aren't invited to investigate then I can walk free.

Sounds reasonable.

Wasnt legal if you injected intravenously. I suppose the nurse was there at josh perry's house just to administer band aids to the boys. Lance armstrong loved the stuff

The whole thing was suss so id be careful pointing the finger.
Well the nurse was there so they wouldn't hit a vein obviously

Don't even start on Lance Armstrong

He was the best cheat among a shitton of cheats,he outcheated cheats

Melbourne cheated 14 other clubs that we know of (Parramatta being a cheat anyway)

So I can murder someone in my house but because the police aren't invited to investigate then I can walk free.

Sounds reasonable.
A cop can't just bust into your house and scream surprise motherf**ker

They need to have a reasonable suspicion or a warrant not just pot luck

Arguably you could be murdering someone quietly without any chance of people outside the room knowing what the f**k your doing, out of sight obviously

Life's Good

Coach
A cop can't just bust into your house and scream surprise motherf**ker

They need to have a reasonable suspicion or a warrant not just pot luck

Arguably you could be murdering someone quietly without any chance of people outside the room knowing what the f**k your doing, out of sight obviously

Well that explains everything.....

ANTiLAG

First Grade
MY solution

The club pays those contracts out and can not sign them back

But what about the players? Who gives a flying f**k they're a pack of cheats, they can either slip in where needed by other teams or have a season of being Gordon f**king Tallis, sitting there in the stands like pure f**kwits

The players knew and were complicit, Captain Contact signed 3 of the f**kers and got a free kitchen, the Goanna got matching boats for him and daddy, Ninjabitch reckons he asked if it was legal because he knew it wasn't, Villageman also signed 2 f**king contracts

They knew they were cheating and still didn't give a f**k

You missed the point entirely. By slipping in where needed to new club/s - with Storm paying the bill - those new club/s has/ve a massive salary cap advantage.

Latest posts