What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- NZ Election

Meth

Staff member
Sad the Maori party are gone, Labour don't give a shit about Maori, and the f**king weather man, seriously!?!?

Yeah, that's a real shame. Who would you rather have representing you? Flavell or Coffey? It's not even a question.

Maori party did the smart and productive thing by working with the Nats. If they are being punished for that, it shows how dumb their supporters were,

Meth

Staff member
I don't know all of the MP's, but I have no time for-

Paula Bennett (NAT)
Tamati Coffey (LAB) (see above)
Kelvin Davis (LAB)
Shane Jones (NZF)
Trevor Mallard (LAB)
David Seymour (ACT)

Or the Green Party, generally.

Former MP's I didn't like;

Sue Bradford
David Cunliffe
Hone Harawira (although I have warmed a little to him recently)
Rodney Hide (that yellow jacked was infuriatingly gimmicky)
Nandor Tanczos
Maurice Williamson

JJ

Immortal
I forgot Simon Bridges - complete lying piece of crap.
pretty clear you dislike anyone centre-right and love the left...

Problem for the left is they remain a joke - the three headed coalition would be hilarious TBH

But at present a charismatic leader and a complete lack of competence - lipsticks and pigs...

Too easy to pick the dislikes

My recent favourites - one left and one right - David Shearer and Bill English...

Meth

Staff member
My likes:

Jacinda Ardern- I didn't vote for her, but it is hard to dislike her.
Bill English- as above
Andrew Little- too good for politics
David Shearer- as above
Phil Goff- as above
Pita Sharples- as above
Te Ururoa Flavell- as above
Peter Dunne

Juju

Juniors
Problem for the left is they remain a joke - the three headed coalition would be hilarious TBH
It's called MMP JJ.

You know what's a joke - that National campaign ad where they had the runners. Remember the guy in black falling over? National are now gonna be begging him to side with him

and oh... Peters thinks it was a senior National MP that leaked the pension stuff. awkward...

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Never liked Cunliffe, and really dislike Bridges as well.

I don't care if your left or right alligned. I don't care if you have different views than me, I'll judge a politician on themselves first, then their policies. If you lie, I don't care if I agree with what you say, if you bore me, I don't care what you say.

Well, if i'm being honest, theres not many politicians I actually like!

Rich102

Staff member
OK.
There is only one party that is assured of being in the next government. NZ First.
They secured 7.5% of the votes. As far as I can see they didn't win a seat.
Yet they will decide who will be in the next government.
Ron Mark, Tracey Martin and Shane Jones all have links to Labour.

So the party of choice for 46% of Kiwi's looks to not be elected to govern.

Something is not right.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
OK.
There is only one party that is assured of being in the next government. NZ First.
They secured 7.5% of the votes. As far as I can see they didn't win a seat.
Yet they will decide who will be in the next government.
Ron Mark, Tracey Martin and Shane Jones all have links to Labour.

So the party of choice for 46% of Kiwi's looks to not be elected to govern.

Something is not right.

Have to laugh when I hear the Greens fella say "54% of NZ voted for change". Well guess what champ, 94% of the country didn't vote for you !!

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Tail wagging the dog, not the way it's supposed to work. A party gets 45% they should lead the Govt, that's not misunderstanding MMP that's just f**king obvious

Also if all this utu shit turns out to be true, Peters is a truly pathetic merkin

I suspect he's not and the media is, actually I guess we knew that

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah, that's a real shame. Who would you rather have representing you? Flavell or Coffey? It's not even a question.

Maori party did the smart and productive thing by working with the Nats. If they are being punished for that, it shows how dumb their supporters were,

The problem is that they probably haven’t been perceived as having gained results for Maori via that partnership. Issues like housing affordability and child poverty disproportionately affect Maori and have been worsening under the Nats.

shiznit

Coach
Tail wagging the dog, not the way it's supposed to work. A party gets 45% they should lead the Govt, that's not misunderstanding MMP that's just f**king obvious

Also if all this utu shit turns out to be true, Peters is a truly pathetic merkin

I suspect he's not and the media is, actually I guess we knew that
Horseshit... 46% isn't a majority.

If Labour, The Greens & NZF can form a coalition that's over 50%.

That's how MMP works.

Any idiot with half a brain knew that Winston was going to be kingmaker months out from the election.

So if anyone who voted for NZF gets upset with them for going with Labour they only have themselves to blame.

And it works the other way too.... if you wanted a change of govt... and you voted for NZF you cant get pissed off with them if they got with the Nats.

It is what it is... if people we're THAT outraged about Petets having all this power... they would have voted for either National or Labour.

shiznit

Coach

I vote in the Maori seats... i voted for Labour and Kelvin Davis.

I strongly considered going with Labour and Hone as Kelvin was #2 on the list... so I was thinking we could get both of them in if Hone won.

But ultimately I wanted a change of govt and I couldn't trust that if Hone got in he wouldn't join the Maori party and prop up National.

Which is sad... because I know first hand what Hone does in the local community and although he's often criticised... he's a strong representative of the north.

Quite rightly the Maori party have been punished.

Our people are no better off since the Maori party have linked with National.

I work in the public sector and day to day deal with people in severe hardship and I can tell you things are worse now than I've ever seen in the 15yrs I've been working here.

our people are struggling and sadly for the Maori party although they had some good candidates like Hone and Te Ururoa... our people couldn't risk voting for them and possibly having them prop up another National govt.

JJ

Immortal
Horseshit... 46% isn't a majority.

If Labour, The Greens & NZF can form a coalition that's over 50%.

That's how MMP works.

Any idiot with half a brain knew that Winston was going to be kingmaker months out from the election.

So if anyone who voted for NZF gets upset with them for going with Labour they only have themselves to blame.

And it works the other way too.... if you wanted a change of govt... and you voted for NZF you cant get pissed off with them if they got with the Nats.

It is what it is... if people we're THAT outraged about Petets having all this power... they would have voted for either National or Labour.
I never said it was a majority - I said it is such a large percentage a centrist party that is a potential coalition partner cannot ignore it - not if they are sane

I also said the rest seems a media beat up, if Peters chooses a partner(s) on the basis of people that out electioneered him he's a sad f**k.

And of course i didn't vote NZ First - I only ever vote National or Labour - and if they could get over their hypothetical ideological differences a 'grand coalition' is actually the sane response - and the Greens if they had a brain would not anchor themselves as a protest vote

MMP shouldn't be one person's plaything - we've seen this shit before, and once he handled well (when he didn't have all the leverage) and once he was a merkin - at the end of the day he got 7% and the Greens 5% - that should be crystal clear to everyone

JJ

Immortal
SHould also add while I prefer National stays in, if the other three can cobble together a deal I am happy with that - at the end of the day National and Labour are so similar it's not funny, and anyone that thinks Labour can fix the problems we have is probably in for disappointment... Peters ironically will be key to that coalition doing well, and he probably likes that idea

shiznit

Coach
I think Labours policies around mental health... especially for the younger ones is something we need.

They also have some social policies which could make a big difference.

But your right... they aren't going to come in and instantly fix things like the housing crisis.

I also wasn't happy that National all of a sudden started changing policies they previously spent 3 terms telling us was 'unaffordable' and 'irresponsible' but all of a sudden become 'affordable' in the space of 6 weeks when Jacinda Arden starts polling through the roof.

TBH that pissed me off a lot...

I felt the same way by the end of the last Labour govt... just wanted a change.

Rich102

Staff member
Take your points Shiznit. Presume you are in the Far North.
Things are pretty dire up there.
What a difference one Maori Party seat would have made.