What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Glendale

Juniors
From what I've been reading- the NRL salary cap next year is structured as a top 30 with 6 development spots, with those 6 development spots unable to play firstgrade. If true that's the dumbest thing I've heard, wtf NRL. Blocking pathways to firstgrade- just dumb. How many teams use over 30 through a season anyway just because of injuries??

If this is the case then our interest in Heighington makes perfect sense.

PhilGould

Bench
This morning The Mole reported Connor Watson is the player who was getting cold feet. A few hours later he posted this:

Spot On

Coach
From what I've been reading- the NRL salary cap next year is structured as a top 30 with 6 development spots, with those 6 development spots unable to play firstgrade. If true that's the dumbest thing I've heard, wtf NRL. Blocking pathways to firstgrade- just dumb. How many teams use over 30 through a season anyway just because of injuries??

If this is the case then our interest in Heighington makes perfect sense.

I would have thought the RLPA was strong on this???

A lot of decisions the NRL and RLPA have made do not make sense.

Old dog

Bench
So can one or any play first grade by request if lots of injuries or one of six improves beyond expectation much like you can request permission to play someone not listed in 17 or 21
If not seems stupid and takes away incentive to strive for a spot in top grade.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
The development players would surely have to be kids in that 14-16 year old age group. Maybe it's to stop rich clubs poaching young kids.

If they have to be players in reserve grade then it makes absolutely no sense, and as I said before, surely clubs will just put plodders in the development list.

Old dog

Bench
Reserve grade should be full of potential first graders, some may only make it through injury but it should always be a incentive. We should not have restrictions on what level you can play. If good enough sky is the limit

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I dont know why everyone is complaining about this top 30 thing, we've had the top 25 for ages...

Sure there is wiggle room, as there will be with this too. Im guessing these 6 development spots are just a way to spread the $9mil around a bit more or something. Or maybe to up the level of NSW/QLD Cup without blowing out those salary caps.

Old dog

Bench
I dont know why everyone is complaining about this top 30 thing, we've had the top 25 for ages...

Sure there is wiggle room, as there will be with this too. Im guessing these 6 development spots are just a way to spread the $9mil around a bit more or something. Or maybe to up the level of NSW/QLD Cup without blowing out those salary caps.
It's not the 30 it's the 6 that can't play 1st grade, why, seems stupid that if playing well you still get told, sorry can't pick you just keep playing well in res grade

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Yeah so if you have an injury crisis it basically rules out your next 6 best players so it forces you to pick a player that doesn't deserve a first grade spot. I can not see any sense in this at all, wouldn't mind someone from the NRL to explain the logic.

What sporting comp in the world literally bans players from playing in this situation?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeah so if you have an injury crisis it basically rules out your next 6 best players so it forces you to pick a player that doesn't deserve a first grade spot. I can not see any sense in this at all, wouldn't mind someone from the NRL to explain the logic.

What sporting comp in the world literally bans players from playing in this situation?

Im guessing the clubs will be allowed to use these players but only after the top 30 is already exhausted (as is the case now with the top 25)

It might be intended to spread the NRL cap between more guys or maybe they are trying to limit the selection from outside the top team (it used to be that, once the top 25 was out, all lower grades were available. Now they might be saying, "your top 30 is done, here are the 6 you can choose from")

Im guessing most clubs will leave these spots empty at the beginning of the year and begin to fll them as the season goes on.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Im guessing the clubs will be allowed to use these players but only after the top 30 is already exhausted (as is the case now with the top 25)

It might be intended to spread the NRL cap between more guys or maybe they are trying to limit the selection from outside the top team (it used to be that, once the top 25 was out, all lower grades were available. Now they might be saying, "your top 30 is done, here are the 6 you can choose from")

Im guessing most clubs will leave these spots empty at the beginning of the year and begin to fll them as the season goes on.

If that's how it works then that's all good.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Pete Mat has officially confirmed he won't be at the Knights next year via his Instagram account

Leaves a bit of a hole out wide

Spot On

Coach
It does but I'm assuming there's some sort of plan as they didn't really want to keep him. I'm none too upset by it. Showed some good stuff at times but there's too many negatives in his game to offer him anything more than we did.

Wish him the best of luck.

Old dog

Bench
Based on no Pete we are short of centres/wingers even if play SKD in centre.
My calculation is we are 27 signed, possibly 28 heighinton, none of which you would assume will be part of the "you can't play 6". We seem to need two more and they need to be good quality centres. Means if Amey, Elliott, Hughes are signed they are in the 6.

Old dog

Bench
Other alternative, get rid of already signed players, those signed to end 2018 and don't have long term benefits to team.

Joel-22

Juniors
I think SKD will play centre next year.

1.Kalyn Ponga
2.Nathan Ross
3.Shaun Kenny Dowell
4.Tautau Moga
5.Ken Sio

With Nick Meaney, Jacob Gagan, Dylan Pythian, Chanel Mata'utia and Tom Hughes waiting in the wings.

We need another centre/backrower type in the mould of mitch aubusson imo

Latest posts