What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
We can cover it easy. I don't think going after Beale means SKD won't play centre.

Either Ross or SKD will play centre, then we have have plenty of young talent to fill the wing spot. Don't think we will go sione at centre but it's still an option.

Are there any better options in the market than what we already have anyway?

It's not like we desperately need to sign a player to fill the spot.

slotmachine

First Grade
They were obviously after him to play centre and will still be looking.

Browny doesn't rate the dawg as a centre, no way he ends up there.

Josh Morris for a year or two with Dogs paying half would be superb.

I think SKD will play centre next year.

1.Kalyn Ponga
2.Nathan Ross
3.Shaun Kenny Dowell
4.Tautau Moga
5.Ken Sio

With Nick Meaney, Jacob Gagan, Dylan Pythian, Chanel Mata'utia and Tom Hughes waiting in the wings.

We need another centre/backrower type in the mould of mitch aubusson imo

I'm ok with this or a variation of it.
Claim will be Sio is too light but we also have bulk there and Sio is solid.

Swarzey

Bench
Sio is a handy filler until someone better comes along. I'm guessing the club is still expecting the market to fill up over the off season with the 2018 cap to be finalised sooner rather than later. There's a good chance we'll pick up someone better. No issue with Skids going back to centre.

Old dog

Juniors
Pick up someone else numbers are low, nearly at 30 signed, we need a marquis and need him to be a centre now

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I'd just wait to the cap is final, find out how much the dogs are over, and see how much we can help out by taking someone like Brett or Josh off of them, In a perfect world, they release Josh Jackson, and we just retrain Sione to the centres.

Old dog

Juniors
Forget Sione at centre, get another centre or run the risk of fill in, we wanted Beale because we didn't want Pete, we missed out on Beale, I'm not unhappy, and we lost Pete, we are obsessed with forwards and forgot backs.
Like the chain we are only as strong as our weakest link.

Yosh

Coach
I would love to sign both the Morris brothers, especially if we get them for less coin. I've always liked them and having the twins lining up together (even if they are past their prime) would be amazing.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I would love to sign both the Morris brothers, especially if we get them for less coin. I've always liked them and having the twins lining up together (even if they are past their prime) would be amazing.
So would i, thats why i put the option up there, but i'd also happily take Jackson off their hands, but the morris boys would be just as good.

1. Ponga
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Ross
5. Skd
6. Watson
7. Lamb

Is an exciting backline, plus getting out of that club might reinvigorate them both.

Joel-22

Juniors
I think moving Sione back to centre might be the best thing for our team but the worst thing for Sione's career. A centre pairing of Moga and Sione is intimidating

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I'm usually not keen on ESL outside backs coming to the NRL but young Jake Connor from Hull is a real talent. Big, strong, great defender and can set up his winger

Hes also a decent chance of making the English WC squad

No idea what his contract scenario is though

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I would prefer to see Ross in the centres over SKD, mainly because I think Ross is a better defender and he did a pretty good job in 2015 when he was playing there. That being said I think both of them do their best work on the wing and I would prefer them in the #2 & #5 jerseys in 2017.

So in my view our best backline next year would look like this.

1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. Moga
4. new signing
5. SKD

If we don't sign a decent replacement for Pete then I would want to see this:

1. Ponga
2. Sio
3. Moga
4. Ross
5. SKD

With the first option it would be a shame for Sio to miss out because he was one of our most consistent performers this year and has been really solid in just about every aspect but realistically he's the guy who would most likely drop out of the backline if we sign a centre. That being said if you look at all the really successful clubs they've got genuine first graders playing in reserve grade every week and it would be nice for us to be in that position with our squad as well.

In terms of who's on the market at this stage I would probably say we should have a crack at Josh Morris given it's known that he's being shopped around, for the record I think he's always been a bit over-rated but he's got heaps of experience and he's probably a better defender than most centres out there so he'd still be an upgrade on Pete. If we could get him on a 2 year deal with the Dogs covering some freight on the first year then I think it's good business.

Other than that I can't think of too many other centres on the market who would be the right fit for us.