What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper Cronk, where will he end up, any clues?

Life's Good

Coach
It's not the fact that they're buying juniors, every good team does that. It's the fact that they have one of the most star studded rosters in the competition and somehow have 800k salary cap space? I obviously dislike the roosters but there is no way that I'm being biased here when I say they're on a different salary cap to everyone else. A few months ago there were rumours of them struggling to resign their players and now they have 800k in the cap? Yeah nah. They steal every other teams talent. More than half of those players in bold wouldn't make the roosters top 17.

They are on the same cap it's just they source/use TPA much more effectively that most other Sydney based clubs which is why they can have a star studded roster. That and their expectation on performance is a real measure for them and not just lip service(like our mob).

SBD82

Coach
Is Sims not a junior? Born and played junior footy in Gerringing. Moved to OLD for NYC with Donkeys. We can claim a gerringong boy!
Ha. Yeah. I was undecided over sims and whether to include him or not. Think the argument goes each way but I took the soft route to try to prove my point. :)

SBD82

Coach
They are on the same cap it's just they source/use TPA much more effectively that most other Sydney based clubs which is why they can have a star studded roster. That and their expectation on performance is a real measure for them and not just lip service(like our mob).
Yeah. This.

f**k the roosters. But I wish our cap was managed as well as theirs. Also their transition of players from NYC to NRL shits all over ours.

SBD82

Coach
It's not the fact that they're buying juniors, every good team does that. It's the fact that they have one of the most star studded rosters in the competition and somehow have 800k salary cap space? I obviously dislike the roosters but there is no way that I'm being biased here when I say they're on a different salary cap to everyone else. A few months ago there were rumours of them struggling to resign their players and now they have 800k in the cap? Yeah nah. They steal every other teams talent. More than half of those players in bold wouldn't make the roosters top 17.
I think part of this is that they're ruthless. They're very happy to get rid of players that are seen as surplus. They don't seem to have the philosophy of rewarding players for long service. Might be a a result of them not having the same idea of club identity, but it works for them.

No way that nightingale would be in their 2018 squad. Or Sutton.

ouryear

Juniors
Ha. Yeah. I was undecided over sims and whether to include him or not. Think the argument goes each way but I took the soft route to try to prove my point. :)
Do you know how many juniors the rorrrtttterss have? less than 4?

SBD82

Coach
Do you know how many juniors the rorrrtttterss have? less than 4?
It depends how you define juniors I guess.

If it's NYC, off the top of my head, Pearce, cordner, tupou, mitchell, watson, Evans, napa. I'm sure there are more. (I'm also not an expert so im not 100% on those ones).

If we are talking from their local comps, probably zero.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Yeah but when does it get to the point where it's classified as cheating? If you can say, payout a business to sponsor certain players and have every single player in the team on healthy TPA agreements then why shouldn't every other team be able to do the same? They would of gotten Tedesco at around 700k but through TPA's would be more on a figure close to 1.2 million. I totally understand that it's all legal but that doesn't neccessarily make it fair.

Life's Good

Coach
Yeah but when does it get to the point where it's classified as cheating? If you can say, payout a business to sponsor certain players and have every single player in the team on healthy TPA agreements then why shouldn't every other team be able to do the same? They would of gotten Tedesco at around 700k but through TPA's would be more on a figure close to 1.2 million. I totally understand that it's all legal but that doesn't neccessarily make it fair.
I totally get where you're coming from but think you have answered your own question. There isn't anything stopping any club from encouraging the TPA agreements provided the club is not underwriting them (eg guaranteeing payment)which is the rule(or close enough to it). This is where it comes down to the merits of the club creating an attractive enough proposition whereby a business will invest in TPA to offset the player salary. Clubs can whinge and moan but ultimately they CAN influence some level of activity with TPA. Some clubs simply do it better than others.

Generalzod

Immortal
He is clearly still a wonderful player and from what I can tell has a great football brain. But where is he likely to lob in 2018 and under what capacity? Cooper Cronk captain coach of the Dragons is my impossible dream for 2018, Hunt hooker and backup half, McInnes bench dummy half and hopefully a better wing option than McDonald and no McGregor to be seen near the place.

What are the rumours out there about where he might end up? it's likely to greatly improve any team's chances if he chooses to play for them.

He'll end up in Mosman

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I totally get where you're coming from but think you have answered your own question. There isn't anything stopping any club from encouraging the TPA agreements provided the club is not underwriting them (eg guaranteeing payment)which is the rule(or close enough to it). This is where it comes down to the merits of the club creating an attractive enough proposition whereby a business will invest in TPA to offset the player salary. Clubs can whinge and moan but ultimately they CAN influence some level of activity with TPA. Some clubs simply do it better than others.

I think I have to disagree with you here though. Not all clubs are willing to go to the extreme of going around and offering businesses money to payout their own players. Some clubs definitely couldn't afford it. How can this be seen as okay when the roosters are basically just paying to win? How can the NRL see this as okay?

Life's Good

Coach
I think I have to disagree with you here though. Not all clubs are willing to go to the extreme of going around and offering businesses money to payout their own players. Some clubs definitely couldn't afford it. How can this be seen as okay when the roosters are basically just paying to win? How can the NRL see this as okay?
What do you mean by the part in bold??

Life's Good

Coach
Well some clubs like the Titans are owned by the NRL aren't they? How could they afford to also go out and payout business owners?
Why are they paying business owners?? The business owner is paying the player an agreed amount in TPA which is in addition to the registered cap figure. . The club is not allowed to underwrite the TPA so they are not financially obligated to pay the TPA.
Are you sure you're clear on how the TPA works??

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Why are they paying business owners?? The business owner is paying the player an agreed amount in TPA which is in addition to the registered cap figure. . The club is not allowed to underwrite the TPA so they are not financially obligated to pay the TPA.

But what's stopping them from paying out the business owner to sponsor their players? Like obviously it's illegal but how can you say that politis isn't going around slipping cheques under the desk to ensure that the business will sponsor their players for a certain amount of money or giving them free merchandise. I wouldn't claim to be all knowing in regards to TPA's but I think it's definitely a system that can be rorted without the NRL's knowledge.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

In addition to this last point NRL players can earn an unlimited amount from 3rd party sponsors making the cap irrelevant.

Life's Good

Coach
But what's stopping them from paying out the business owner to sponsor their players? Like obviously it's illegal but how can you say that politis isn't going around slipping cheques under the desk to ensure that the business will sponsor their players for a certain amount of money or giving them free merchandise. I wouldn't claim to be all knowing in regards to TPA's but I think it's definitely a system that can be rorted without the NRL's knowledge.
Ok. I get what you're saying and I don't have an answer on that one other than a centralised pool of TPA where the NRL controls it and audits of tax returns(as a start).There is also forensic accounting to trace transactions etc. Obviously cash is harder to trace so that would remain an open possibility. A lot of work to hide it though.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Ok. I get what you're saying and I don't have an answer on that one other than a centralised pool of TPA where the NRL controls it and audits of tax returns(as a start).There is also forensic accounting to trace transactions etc. Obviously cash is harder to trace so that would remain an open possibility. A lot of work to hide it though.

Yeah I would assume cash not electronically.

This is all theoretical however, I'm not suggesting it's actually happening as I have no proof. I think it's definitely something that the NRL has failed to target and identify though.

I think if you're a millionaire, nothing is too hard to hide.

Life's Good

Coach
In addition to this last point NRL players can earn an unlimited amount from 3rd party sponsors making the cap irrelevant.
Again though that is determined by the available opportunities presented to players by an effective club facilitating this sort of thing. The reality is we don't yet have a single player earning a disproportionately higher salary than another in the same position eg. halfbacks are 1-1.2m, fullbacks 800k-1m etc. Not to say it isn't a possibility mind you.

Life's Good

Coach
Yeah but what person would be dumb enough to do illegal transactions electronically haha? That's a great way to end up in a cell.

This is all theoretical however, I'm not suggesting it's actually happening as I have no proof. I think it's definitely something that the NRL has failed to target and identify though.

I think if you're a millionaire, nothing is too hard to hide.
It is theoretical but worth discussing because it's also still possible.

The thing for me in this is that it has exposed my club as pretty poor in positioning itself to attract more TPA to enable us to compete. Not saying it will ever be an even playing field but it would be good to be in there as a genuine destination for good players instead of being used to jack up player salaries. Having said that recruitment for us is going ok and our issue lies elsewhere.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
It is theoretical but worth discussing because it's also still possible.

The thing for me in this is that it has exposed my club as pretty poor in positioning itself to attract more TPA to enable us to compete. Not saying it will ever be an even playing field but it would be good to be in there as a genuine destination for good players instead of being used to jack up player salaries. Having said that recruitment for us is going ok and our issue lies elsewhere.

True that true that. You guys have worked well with what you have. The only thing I could propose is to have a cap on TPA's however I think that is illegal as it restricts a license to trade. So the next best thing for me is to remove the cap altogether. Let them all run wild.

Latest posts