What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy's league Sledge

Brutus

Referee
That's also HIS favourite quote 'I used to be a North Sydney fan'. It's in the same style as Fitzsimons 'I love RL but...' - ie. cover for the unbridled attack to follow... He is a rah rah through and through is little Mikey.

Mikey got plenty of work writing about rugby league. There wasn't as much work around for a union journo.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Mikey got plenty of work writing about rugby league. There wasn't as much work around for a union journo.

What gets lost in translation is he still can support north Sydney bears. They aren’t dead. They just got relegated 20 plus yrs ago. The nsw and qld conferences need to have these people supporting there team. I can’t cop people saying I don’t support rugby league now because norths Sydney or whoever aren’t there anymore. That’s crap, they are still there in nsw Cup. The Nrl need to engage fans to support the feeder teams in nsw/qld Cup. Having idiots in the media saying that isn’t helping the cause.

Stallion

First Grade
What gets lost in translation is he still can support north Sydney bears. They aren’t dead. They just got relegated 20 plus yrs ago. The nsw and qld conferences need to have these people supporting there team. I can’t cop people saying I don’t support rugby league now because norths Sydney or whoever aren’t there anymore. That’s crap, they are still there in nsw Cup. The Nrl need to engage fans to support the feeder teams in nsw/qld Cup. Having idiots in the media saying that isn’t helping the cause.

Wish it was that easy! However in Australia its different. For instance your in a pub and start raving about the footy club you support and then the other bloke says"You're only in 2nd division mate! " It's game over at the bar!

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Wish it was that easy! However in Australia its different. Fir instance your in a pub and starting raving about the footy club you support and then the other bloke says"You're only on 2nd division mate! " Its game over at the bar!

Yes that’s true, but you could always counter by saying, you have won 1 more premiership that cronulla.

The Nrl needs to start that conversation and improve the respect given to the 2nd tier comp. the Nrl are trying to do that by dropping the 20’s and elevating the nsw/qld cups. It’s a little change but it could help.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes that’s true, but you could always counter by saying, you have won 1 more premiership that cronulla.

The Nrl needs to start that conversation and improve the respect given to the 2nd tier comp. the Nrl are trying to do that by dropping the 20’s and elevating the nsw/qld cups. It’s a little change but it could help.

Even the counter would last 3 seconds in credibility. The pub mate would still counter " We're in first grade mate you're not!" Game over again.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Norm Tasker - editor of RLW for many years was actually a full on leather patch union man. Even refereed and coached union. RL paid the bills though.

Geoff Prenter - godfather of RLW is a Sydney Swans nut and member and rarely watches RL these days.

taipan

Referee
Norm Tasker - editor of RLW for many years was actually a full on leather patch union man. Even refereed and coached union. RL paid the bills though.

Geoff Prenter - godfather of RLW is a Sydney Swans nut and member and rarely watches RL these days.

Correct about Prenter.The sad part about it he left rugby league ,when Super league got the go ahead to play its comp in 97.
How many more did likewise? Thanks for zilch Rupert.

Stallion

First Grade
Correct about Prenter.The sad part about it he left rugby league ,when Super league got the go ahead to play its comp in 97.
How many more did likewise? Thanks for zilch Rupert.

How true! And plenty more will leave the game if those in control listen to the slash and burn ideas by some in this forum. GROWING THE GAME WITHOUT HURTING THE GAME is the key.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Exactly this is the damage caused. I read an article from Steve Mascord a passionate league man who lost his club, Illawarra, in a merge and supporting them was never the same and he was a passionate fan. What would have happened to people who aren't as passionate?

To quote Mascord:

I’ve not had a club to cheer since my Illawarra Steelers merged with St George in 1998. Without being able to see things through the prism of a supporter, much of the appeal of sport is lost.

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Exactly this is the damage caused. I read an article from Steve Mascord a passionate league man who lost his club, Illawarra, in a merge and supporting them was never the same and he was a passionate fan. What would have happened to people who aren't as passionate?

To quote Mascord:

The old, I don’t follow the Nrl much anymore/or at all because of super league. Honestly, are complete W@nkers in my opinion. It happened 20 yrs ago. Clearly wasn’t what we needed but it’s happened. Like Greenberg said with the ref situation. People need to grow up and move on. Stop complaining about something that happened 20yrs ago. If Illawarra was your side go for st George. If you don’t like st George go for one of the other 15 clubs. It seems everyone in rugby league are just so pessimistic. Always wanting to blame something or someone else. Every opportunity has a positive and negative. It’s a shame rugby league fans/media always take the negative. We need to change this.

I went to a RL seminar about ten years ago. Prenter was there, with Ray Price and Roy Masters and a couple of others.

In regards to Prenter not watching RL, IIRC he wasn't a big fan of the Polynesian influx.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The old, I don’t follow the Nrl much anymore/or at all because of super league. Honestly, are complete W@nkers in my opinion. It happened 20 yrs ago. Clearly wasn’t what we needed but it’s happened. Like Greenberg said with the ref situation. People need to grow up and move on. Stop complaining about something that happened 20yrs ago. If Illawarra was your side go for st George. If you don’t like st George go for one of the other 15 clubs. It seems everyone in rugby league are just so pessimistic. Always wanting to blame something or someone else. Every opportunity has a positive and negative. It’s a shame rugby league fans/media always take the negative. We need to change this.

No it doesn't, it means we care about the traditions and continuity of the sport, look at the AFL how things should be done.

AJB1102

First Grade

I get your point that SL has happened, lets get on with it. But there is more to it than just picking a club and going for them. I also agree there is a negativity throughout RL.