What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Pacific Tests ....Are they scheduled to return ?

Pommy

Coach
Worry about that situation when they get within 20 points

Anyway Frances problem was right side defence

But I’m not arsed if they get within 20 I’m much more concerned with England getting 20 past Australia the day that happens is the day international league improves for everyone.

Clarkent

Juniors
Samoa are garbage. Flying over here to play them instead of France next door is a waste.
Wow that's a bit harsh... Samoa gave the kiwis a good go and lost momentum in the second half and had a good close game against tonga... Especially with Samoa missing 8 or 9 top players out with injury... Scotland got pumped from both of them... If anything Scotland's the team that's rubbish lol

KokoRugbyLeague

Juniors
Wow that's a bit harsh... Samoa gave the kiwis a good go and lost momentum in the second half and had a good close game against tonga... Especially with Samoa missing 8 or 9 top players out with injury... Scotland got pumped from both of them... If anything Scotland's the team that's rubbish lol

Could he imagine if we had halves that werent on the injury list.

Burns

First Grade
What chances of the Pacific tests being held outside of Australia next season?

PNG v Fiji at a sold out national football stadium in port Moresby makes perfect sense

And

Tonga v Samoa in NZ will easily sell more tickets than NZ v England imo
Please stop talking sense. We all know that they’l play a double header in Western Sydney.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah after watching a full Scotland game I think I'll be backtracking on that statement haha

Scubby

Juniors

PNG v Fiji at a sold out national football stadium in port Moresby makes perfect sense

And

Tonga v Samoa and NZ v England double header at Eden Park may get 40k+ if promoted correctly.

PNG v Fiji in Port Moresby

adamkungl

Immortal
PNG v Fiji mid year - winner plays Aus end of year
Samoa v Tonga v NZ tri series mid year - final end of year
Cook Islands v Vanuatu v Solomon Islands tri series mid year - we can still expand in the Pacific!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
What would be the odds of getting France to play in the Pacific Tests series and playing their games in Noumea?

The cost of living is so high in New Caledonia that it wouldn't take much a of crowd to make some cash, and they are absolutely starved of any sporting events of such a scale.

Gives France a good hit-out against opposition of their level.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
France are gonna be playing the England knights mid season.

waste of time, degrading to international league

play in the pacific

- create a rugby first pacific series accessible to *all* pacific islands
- promote league in new caledonia and in effect france
- get france playing first rate nations rather than b teams in front of don't care crowds
- create something new that australians and their lucrative tv market would watch

Billythekid

First Grade
This needs to become a regular thing. Tonga vs Samoa is such an awesome matchup and clearly the fans want more of it. We either need a 3 match series between them mid year or some sort of 3 way tournament between NZ, Tonga and Somoa.

Likewise we need more international series being played in PNG. The obvious choice seems to be Fiji especially now that they're in the NSW cup and PNG are in the QLD cup. Attempt to build a rivalry there. PNG have shown they can sellout matches even against the worst drawing opposition. Also i think we need to see more matches of PNG against the actual Australian team rather than the PM's 13.

There is clearly demand from fans both at the ground and on TV and sponsors seem to want to be involved as well. This could see huge growth for the game in the southern hemisphere and frankly the demand for these teams has been the most important thing to come out of this WC.Lets capitalise on that.

waste of time, degrading to international league

play in the pacific

- create a rugby first pacific series accessible to *all* pacific islands
- promote league in new caledonia and in effect france
- get france playing first rate nations rather than b teams in front of don't care crowds
- create something new that australians and their lucrative tv market would watch

It feels pretty pointless adding France to any pacific tests. The matches involving pacific nations are at their most exciting and appealing when played against each other. Adding France only takes away from the appeal. In terms of future development i think it does little for France IMO. The most important thing for France is getting a 2nd team in the ESL and getting as many French players into the top grade as possible. That plus hopefully playing more games against England. There should be more of a rivalry built up there considering how prominent France are likely to become in the ESL.

siv

First Grade
PNG v Fiji mid year - winner plays Aus end of year
Samoa v Tonga v NZ tri series mid year - final end of year
Cook Islands v Vanuatu v Solomon Islands tri series mid year - we can still expand in the Pacific!

What about Niue ?

Plus I would like to see a attempt to get Hawaii started

Maybe Canada could play as well

Coastbloke

Bench
Dan Ginanne on 2MMM tonight gave a massive wrap on the Pacific Tests because of the Tonga v Samoa match.

His main points were the atmosphere, the massive ratings Seven are getting on a DIgital channel and the crowd.

Says Tonga v Samoa should be in NZ on the Origin stand alone weekend. PNG v Fiji in Port Morseby. Says given the ratings on 7MATE someone is making money and so therefore given the attractive content these Pacific Tests are providing, the players should be paid accordingly..

Looks like he may have had a change of tune in terms of some aspects of Test football..

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

And

I think Eden Park could be sold out annually for a double header:
Tonga v Samoa
New Zealand v England

Crucial revenue for NZ, Tonga and Samoa and a crucial extra test against another big 3 member for England

Add to that PNG v Fiji in Port Moresby and State of Origin and there is your TV content that would rate just as good if not better than the regular NRL content

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Nah Tonga v Samoa has to be a stand alone game so they can maximize revenue for the two NGBs

I thought about this but I figured:

Tonga v Samoa at Mt Smart (with no World Cup hype and possibly no JT and Fifita) 12 - 15K
New Zealand v England at just about any venue in NZ 15 - 20k

If you rent one stadium instead of two you will save on costs and Eden Park will add 5K on it's own as it would feel more like an event game. Add in some marketing and we could sell it out, if not get into the hight 40 thousands. Split the profits four ways. I think this would maximise revenue for all.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
I think in this cycle they should set up a Pacific cup with Aus, NZ, Sam, Tonga, PNG Fiji, Cooks and the next top team and then a second division Asia-Pacific cup with the next level Pacific teams and the Asian teams that are now playing games. Happy for a seperate Asian cup too, either way i think now is the time to capitalize

Clarkent

Juniors
I think Eden Park could be sold out annually for a double header:
Tonga v Samoa
New Zealand v England

Crucial revenue for NZ, Tonga and Samoa and a crucial extra test against another big 3 member for England

Add to that PNG v Fiji in Port Moresby and State of Origin and there is your TV content that would rate just as good if not better than the regular NRL content
If anything the Samoa vs Tonga game should be the main event if there was a double header... That stadium will be mostly filled with Tongans and samoans...

Latest posts