What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
few sandy vag's lol

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...k=40e31124472fa42209bee9c1b04ee5cd-1511435939

NRL expected to confirm Queensland to miss grand final

Anna Caldwell, Phil Rothfield, The Courier-Mail
an hour ago

QUEENSLAND rugby league fans have been given a kick in the guts, with the NRL on Friday expected to confirm they won’t let the Sunshine State host a NRL Grand Final.

The move has been slammed as a “Sydney stitch up’’ by an angry State Government, who had been hopeful of luring the grand final north.

The Courier-Mail can reveal that the NRL will instead give a 25-year commitment to hold grand finals in Sydney after 2019, in a move that scuttles both Queensland and Victoria’s hopes to pry the event away.

As part of the plan, the NRL grand final will head back to the Sydney Cricket Ground in 2020 for the first time in 33 years.

Tourism and Major Events Minister Kate Jones said the deal “sounds like a Sydney stitch up’’.

“I’m sick and tired of the NRL taking Queensland for granted,’’ she said.

“There is only one state that consistently delivers record rugby league crowds and that’s Queensland.”

Brisbane was hopeful of hosting an NRL grand final in 2019 or 2020 if Sydney’s ANZ Stadium was unavailable during a rebuild.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian will on Friday morning announce the $2 billion plan to rebuild ANZ stadium at Homebush and Allianz stadium at Moore Park, ending four years of negotiations over the renewal.

The rebuild of Allianz, which is currently riddled with safety issues, will begin next year, costing $700 million for a brand new 45,000 seat stadium.

In 2019 — after the NRL grand final — the ANZ rebuild will follow, costing $1.2 billion for a 75,000 seat stadium. It will be reconfigured into a rectangle.

In return for the government providing two new stadiums, NRL boss Todd Greenberg has agreed to keep the 2020 grand final in Sydney while both stadiums are out of action.

Greenberg knocked back multimillion-dollar offers from QLD and Victoria to take the game interstate when the rebuilds are under way, instead agreeing to hold a grand final at the SCG.

The last grand final at the SCG was back in 1987 when Paul Vautin captained the Manly Sea Eagles to victory over Canberra.

Oh FFS...

With only 30k-ish seats available, id hate to think what tickets to this GF might cost.

cleary89

Coach
Tourism and Major Events Minister Kate Jones said the deal “sounds like a Sydney stitch up’’.

“I’m sick and tired of the NRL taking Queensland for granted,’’ she said.

“There is only one state that consistently delivers record rugby league crowds and that’s Queensland.”

Brisbane was hopeful of hosting an NRL grand final in 2019 or 2020 if Sydney’s ANZ Stadium was unavailable during a rebuild.

Pay for it then. Where is qld's $2.3bn?

Diesel

Referee
Regardless if the NSW Govt is providing stadia for the people of NSW, it’s short sighted of Greenberg and co not to take this opportunity.
RL at Suncorp over the SCG is a no brainer.

taipan

Referee
Qld wanted to play in this comp.

It’s a Sydney comp
Always has been
Always should be

Grand final shall always be in Sydney.

Agree and the very reason Cptn Arfur Phillip decided Sydney was to be the place for the first settlement, because he had the foresight,courage ,and technical knowhow, to envisage rugby league grand finals would be always played in Sydney.

carcharias

Immortal
Thanks for your input Todd

Huh?

It’s a Sydney game....every other merkin is lucky to be invited to join in AFAIK
Would you hold the AFL gf at the SCG?
Would you hold the US masters at ST Andrews?
Would you hold pipeline masters in Bali?

Why the f**k should the NRL change it’s history just to please 1 club ?

f**k em
10 years and won f**k all.

big hit!

Bench
what a farce! $2.3b on potentially 3 white elephants.

the jewel in the crown is f**ked because it's in the middle of nowhere with limited food options. and a crowd to test the capacity means being herded into cattle queues and a 1 3/4hr journey from stadium exit to central station. i know because i experienced it during the WCQ. and this joint as a station at it's doorstep. fix up the stadium, but the game day experience will still be shit.

i suppose the fat merkins from western sydney who complain that there is no transport to moore park will still be happy to gorge on the mcdonalds kfc subway oportos (whatever fast food shit and marquee slop is available at homebush bay oval) and spend half an hour in lines to get shit piss in a plastic cup at the brewery.

complaints about a little walk from central and the myriad options of better food and drink establishments is laughable

the jewel in the crown is f**ked because it's in the middle of nowhere with limited food options. and a crowd to test the capacity means being herded into cattle queues and a 1 3/4hr journey from stadium exit to central station. i know because i experienced it during the WCQ. and this joint as a station at it's doorstep. fix up the stadium, but the game day experience will still be shit.

i suppose the fat merkins from western sydney who complain that there is no transport to moore park will still be happy to gorge on the mcdonalds kfc subway oportos (whatever fast food shit and marquee slop is available at homebush bay oval) and spend half an hour in lines to get shit piss in a plastic cup at the brewery.

complaints about a little walk from central and the myriad options of better food and drink establishments is laughable

You’re a glass half empty type of fella I take it?

big hit!

Bench
You’re a glass half empty type of fella I take it?
not at all.

SFS is still serviceable for another 20 years. the issue at moore park is the trust itself leasing all the space around the venue to the NRL, ARU, waratahs, roosters, sports medicine, gym, etc and closing up access in and particularly out of the joint. it doesn't need close to a billion $$ spent on the arena itself. security issues will still exist due to the above.

the arena at Homebush bay oval is only half the problem out there. it's f**ked getting out there, and there's nothing to do what's the event is over. it's a sterile shit hole. more needs to be done to improve the area.

and $2.3b as the final figure? Yeah right! Wait for the cost and timeline blow out which is any public building project in Sydney.

and of course, it wouldn't be a Sydney project without it being politicised. 2 years of wrangling for this!!

so f**k off with the glass half full analogy! i'm speaking the realities of shit that goes on in this metropolitan and state, not fairy dust and unicorns

Reactions: Vee

carcharias

Immortal

You sound like you are confusing watching a footy game with stuffing your face.

big hit!

Bench

i've got discipline mate. but if i want to eat something, i don't want it limited to fast food trash or a $10 hot dog. options around a venue is best for all, rather than shit inside it.

unforgiven

Bench

Most people who post in these threads complain because the location of a proposed stadium is not close enough to where they live, "Homebush is the middle of nowhere" "The walk to the SFS is too long" These complaints generally come down to where people live. People need to realise with a population of 4 million people that not everyone can have the stadium built next door to them.

http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/latest-news/scg-trust-welcomes-allianz-stadium-rebuild/

The next generation Allianz Stadium will be the third football-specific venue in the SCG precinct, building on the rich legacy of the Sydney Sports Ground (1899) and the current Allianz Stadium.

The new stadium comes with a dual-mode for smaller club or larger championship events. Club mode will provide 30,000 seats with a revolutionary LED mesh screen covering the top deck. The screen will have the ability to show images supporting home teams, driving atmosphere and retaining noise inside the venue.

In championship mode the screen is lifted for marquee events such as Wallabies Test matches, the NRL’s Anzac Day Cup and the A-League’s Sydney Derby revealing the full 45,000-seat stadium.

not at all.

SFS is still serviceable for another 20 years. the issue at moore park is the trust itself leasing all the space around the venue to the NRL, ARU, waratahs, roosters, sports medicine, gym, etc and closing up access in and particularly out of the joint. it doesn't need close to a billion $$ spent on the arena itself. security issues will still exist due to the above.

the arena at Homebush bay oval is only half the problem out there. it's f**ked getting out there, and there's nothing to do what's the event is over. it's a sterile shit hole. more needs to be done to improve the area.

and $2.3b as the final figure? Yeah right! Wait for the cost and timeline blow out which is any public building project in Sydney.

and of course, it wouldn't be a Sydney project without it being politicised. 2 years of wrangling for this!!

so f**k off with the glass half full analogy! i'm speaking the realities of shit that goes on in this metropolitan and state, not fairy dust and unicorns

I agree about Allianz, the trust have stuffed up the access is a big way. And the rebuild shouldn’t be 45k, it should be 30-35k. But overall it’s still a win for sport in this city.

Can’t agree about ANZ access though. Whilst I personally would’ve preferred the major stadium to be near the CBD, ANZ is still easier to access for most of Sydney. Particularly when they add a metro line in about 2025. The area surrounding ANZ is only going to keep growing, there will be more bars, restaurants & other facilities as a result of a permanent train line going in.