What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Oh, it certainly makes a difference at the business level. I was in Dunedin last year, with their 'gigabit' ethernet (both at home an in the office).....really didn't change my life at home (barely noticeable), but the performance with work apps and data was quite different.
I think the "what we have right now is fine" position will be found out very quickly. We need to future proof ourselves and hanging your hat on old copper networks won't cut it in 5 or 10 years.

Whilst I acknowledge that 5g or 6 g or 7g might offer a solution to some, I can't see ISPs providing me with 1tb/m highspeed for $100/m over a wireless network. History suggests that it would be 5 times that.

Also the 5g network can't cope with congestion in peak times like fibre can.

Misgivings about 5g is here for those who think that it is the future over fibre.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...-convenient-but-expensive-alternative/9083746

strider

Post Whore
so I decided to read the little pamphlet they sent to me - pfffft, I'm a man, as if I read instructions

I am getting a Hybrid Fibre Coaxial installation ... and it will be done as an aerial connection .... I already have optus coming in via overhead wires.

So I guess that at least means no whacky shit any different to what I already have ... but maybe poop speeds ..... tbh I am fairly content now

Seems they just leave the existing connections in place .... so who the f**k comes back later and removes the bloody old stuff?

Gronk

Staff member
so I decided to read the little pamphlet they sent to me - pfffft, I'm a man, as if I read instructions

I am getting a Hybrid Fibre Coaxial installation ... and it will be done as an aerial connection .... I already have optus coming in via overhead wires.

So I guess that at least means no whacky shit any different to what I already have ... but maybe poop speeds ..... tbh I am fairly content now

Seems they just leave the existing connections in place .... so who the f**k comes back later and removes the bloody old stuff?
We have HFC. So if you are transitioning from cable internet to nbn, you will get about 45 up and down. As always it depends on which ISP you are with and how much bandwidth they buy. I paid extra for zoom zoom and average about 80 up and down. Only bc my wife does a lot if teleconferencing and she can sit in the study and deal with shit all around the world over video . My son is into gaming and stresses about ping. Whatever that is. Anyway he is thrilled with the ping.

If you listen to the yank boss of the nbn, anyone connected to the nbn and is getting dribble mbp - it is not the nbn's fault. It is bc their ISP has not bought enough bandwidth for peak times and is putting profit before their customers.

strider

Post Whore
We have HFC. So if you are transitioning from cable internet to nbn, you will get about 45 up and down. As always it depends on which ISP you are with and how much bandwidth they buy. I paid extra for zoom zoom and average about 80 up and down. Only bc my wife does a lot if teleconferencing and she can sit in the study and deal with shit all around the world over video . My son is into gaming and stresses about ping. Whatever that is. Anyway he is thrilled with the ping.

If you listen to the yank boss of the nbn, anyone connected to the nbn and is getting dribble mbp - it is not the nbn's fault. It is bc their ISP has not bought enough bandwidth for peak times and is putting profit before their customers.
Did you already have a cable connection? If so did they use the same cable?

You dont have foxtel hey. I dunno if i will be able to use same cable for foxtel. Currently i have 2 cables to my house. Optus internet aerial and foxtel underground. Tho foxtel comes via neighbours place which i dont like cos some nuffy will damage it one day.

Gronk

Staff member
Did you already have a cable connection? If so did they use the same cable?

You dont have foxtel hey. I dunno if i will be able to use same cable for foxtel. Currently i have 2 cables to my house. Optus internet aerial and foxtel underground. Tho foxtel comes via neighbours place which i dont like cos some nuffy will damage it one day.

Yes they just connected to the foxtel cable. New modem is all it took. Your landline stops working and you need to buy a new voip phone. We just bought 4 station cordless and it works fine. You'll find that phone calls are all free or within your nbn package.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think the "what we have right now is fine" position will be found out very quickly. We need to future proof ourselves and hanging your hat on old copper networks won't cut it in 5 or 10 years.

Whilst I acknowledge that 5g or 6 g or 7g might offer a solution to some, I can't see ISPs providing me with 1tb/m highspeed for $100/m over a wireless network. History suggests that it would be 5 times that.

Misgivings about 5g is here for those who think that it is the future over fibre.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...-convenient-but-expensive-alternative/9083746

99% of houeseholds would never need these speeds. And if you ran a small business and the cost was lets say for an easy installation $1000 from the street I am sure you would pay it. Even up to 10k would be fine.

Office buildings and factories/ hospitals etc would benefit the most.

Nbn service providers are also skimping on what amount of bandwiths purchasing thats giving terrible speeds.

If you where able to get 40 or 50mps constantly that would be great. Even 10-15 for general things bareable

Gronk

Staff member
99% of houeseholds would never need these speeds. And if you ran a small business and the cost was lets say for an easy installation $1000 from the street I am sure you would pay it. Even up to 10k would be fine.

Office buildings and factories/ hospitals etc would benefit the most.

Nbn service providers are also skimping on what amount of bandwiths purchasing thats giving terrible speeds.

If you where able to get 40 or 50mps constantly that would be great. Even 10-15 for general things bareable
Bullshit

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
History suggests they will charge what merkins can afford.
It will if it's too expensive for Netflix-watching merkins who don't need it for business.

If they let the providers pay for it they will find a way to get it done without draining the pit of money.

Latest posts