What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

Drag Queen

Bench
R

Right centre!
CC[/QUOT
R

Right centre!
CC
Well one of Nightingale/Macdonald/Aitken. I doubt Mary will drop Nightingale so MacDonald or Aitken. Problem as I see it is that they have tagged Kurt with "Utility" status which means he will be on the bench. I.M.H.O he is a better option than the 3 players listed above.
Agree with you but I think MacDonald has the X factor. The sooner he gets off his lazy arse the better.
Ya hearing me Nene.

Old Timer

Coach
No I didn't. He just needs a firecracker up his arse. Potentially the best buy we've had. Hunt may well prove to showcase what this kid has talent wise. Size, speed and shone for PNG.
Hard to fathom how you can come to that conclusion other than if we haven't bought anyone of any note ever and that clearly isn't the case.
He didn't do all that much at his former clubs and was grossly over rated when we signed him.
By the way if Nene played well for the rest of his career he wouldn't be fit to shine the shoes of Jeremy Smith.

possm

Coach
Mann has proved himself on the wing. Top try scorer in 2016. No brainer for me, starts on the wing and keep him there
I agree with you however, many on here say that the best way to bring our young speedsters through is by selecting them on the wing. For example, Lomax seems to fit the bill at centre and fullback but lacks the experience. So the only way to sure he is ready for first grade is to select him in reserve grade and if it seems he is handling that selection well, then select him on the wing in first grade.

In my opinion he is already suitable for the wing position in first grade however, I am not against him doing a few weeks in reserve grade to show us all he is ready.

Having said this, our two wingers and our right centre position seem to be the weak link in our side. So, it is up to the coach to determine if Macdonald has improved significantly over the off season and if not, find an alternative winger and from that time on, let form dictate who occupies the left wing position. The same goes for the right wing and right centre positions but to have two young inexperienced outside backs on the same side of the field along with an inexperienced fullback if fraught with danger. This is the reason I would go for Mann at left wing with a young winger and Lafai at right centre with a young right winger; Lafai has played a lot of right centre over his career and Mann is much more effective on the left side of the field outside Widdop.

If Mary is concerned with having too many inexperienced speedsters in the backline, would lean towards selecting Nightingale on the right wing as a stop gap until things settle and until he has confidence in the new fullback and right winger already selected.

I can't see any logical reason for having Aitken and Macdonald occupying the right edge in our backline. This combination has failed in the past and unless there has been significant improvement made in the off-season..

possm

Coach
No I didn't. He just needs a firecracker up his arse. Potentially the best buy we've had. Hunt may well prove to showcase what this kid has talent wise. Size, speed and shone for PNG.
The coach has the responsibility to bring the best out of players. You would think he has noticed Macdonald's deficiencies but was willing to accept them because he believed there is no other suitable alternative or it is indeed his game plan that is making it difficult for Macdonald to shine. Is it just a coincident that Nightingale, Macdonald and Aitken all have problems positioning themselves in defence - finding themselves well inside and not being able to combat the long outside ball or kick to the corners.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Handy Mann happy to reprise utility role for Dragons
Local Sport
r0_0_2739_1826_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CONTENDERS: Both Matt Dufty (left) and Kurt Mann (right) are in the running to replace Josh Dugan at fullback for the Dragons. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra utility Kurt Mann is eyeing an elusive starting spot in 2018, but he’s happy to continue as the Dragons’ Mr Fixit if it means he sees regular NRL action.

The former Melbourne centre played every position in the Dragons back-line at various stages of the 2017 season, featuring in 21 of his side’s 24 games.

His best form undoubtedly came as a foil for skipper Gareth Widdop in the halves, with his finish to the season enough to earn a two-year contract extension.

Having played most of his junior football in the No. 6, Mann said he was keen to take the opportunity.

“I managed to string a few games together there last year in the halves and it’s a position I like playing,” Mann said.

“I got an opportunity to play there at the start of the year with Gaz being out with a medial [ligament injury] and they were probably some of my better games.

“Mary [coach Paul McGregor] showed a lot of faith in me in giving me that start in the halves. I had to fill big shoes with Gaz early on.

“That was the first game I’d played in the halves at NRL level so I felt obliged to repay him. I knew when I got that chance again I wanted to try and nail it.

“I was really enjoying my footy and as a result of that I was playing good as well.”

It was a strong finish to an at times frustrating season as he shifted around the park but Mann said he’s happy to reprise the role in 2018 if required.

“[Utility value] is a good thing but it can be a bit of an achilles heel,” he said.

“It is a bit frustrating at times but it’s something I’ve got to do for the team because I can do it. There’s not many other people in our team that can so that’s my role and I’m happy to do it.

“It gets me picked every week because I can play anywhere but I like playing in the halves, I like playing fullback.

“You always want to opportunity to play consistently in those positions so when I get my opportunity again hopefully I can grab it.”

New arrival Ben Hunt is a lock to partner Widdop in the halves this season, making a halves start unlikely, but Mann will come in to consideration for the No.1 jumper left vacant by the departed Josh Dugan.

Young-gun Matt Dufty has the inside running having finished 2017 at fullback but Mann said he’ll certainly put his hand up should the chance arise.

It would be a chance to go full circle having played the first two games of the 2016 season, his first with the club, at the back.

“That’s something I’ve spoken to Mary about, I’ve told him I wouldn’t mind having a go there and see what comes of it,” Mann said.

“He’s pretty keen to have a look at me there so I’m sure through the trial period I’ll get a chance there at some stage and we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5190228/handy-mann-happy-to-reprise-utility-role/?cs=302

Life's Good

Coach
Unfortunately my lasting memory of Dufty at fullback is him offloading the kick return to wingers so he wouldn't get tackled. Really hope Mann gets enough chances to win the fullback role.
There’s every possibility SuperCoach told Mann to pass to the wingers in the same way he told Dufty to do it last year.
My abiding memory of Mann is scoring a bunch of tries, as a winger, in a team that had as much attacking prowess as a gun with no bullets.
Mann is the centre/winger/fb option as we see how the likes of Dufty, Lomax, Field etc. develop.
For mine he starts the year on the wing in place of Nene.

Crush

Coach
I would love the dragons/Mary to grow some balls and put their full support in Dufty as our fullback. If Dufty doesn't play fullback then he doesn't play NRL with Dragons. Instead of all these articles saying we have option a b c available to replace Dugan I love to hear them say Matt Dufty is our fullback and we believe he is an absolute star of the future.

Como Connection

First Grade
Unfortunately my lasting memory of Dufty at fullback is him offloading the kick return to wingers so he wouldn't get tackled. Really hope Mann gets enough chances to win the fullback role.
Hey GCD
I have a unit at Currumbin and travel up three times a year.
Will be there from February 19th for ten nights.
Were do you live?
We could catch up for a drink if you like!
CC

Old Timer

Coach
NRL 2018: Handy Mann happy to reprise utility role for Dragons
Local Sport
r0_0_2739_1826_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CONTENDERS: Both Matt Dufty (left) and Kurt Mann (right) are in the running to replace Josh Dugan at fullback for the Dragons. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra utility Kurt Mann is eyeing an elusive starting spot in 2018, but he’s happy to continue as the Dragons’ Mr Fixit if it means he sees regular NRL action.

The former Melbourne centre played every position in the Dragons back-line at various stages of the 2017 season, featuring in 21 of his side’s 24 games.

His best form undoubtedly came as a foil for skipper Gareth Widdop in the halves, with his finish to the season enough to earn a two-year contract extension.

Having played most of his junior football in the No. 6, Mann said he was keen to take the opportunity.

“I managed to string a few games together there last year in the halves and it’s a position I like playing,” Mann said.

“I got an opportunity to play there at the start of the year with Gaz being out with a medial [ligament injury] and they were probably some of my better games.

“Mary [coach Paul McGregor] showed a lot of faith in me in giving me that start in the halves. I had to fill big shoes with Gaz early on.

“That was the first game I’d played in the halves at NRL level so I felt obliged to repay him. I knew when I got that chance again I wanted to try and nail it.

“I was really enjoying my footy and as a result of that I was playing good as well.”

It was a strong finish to an at times frustrating season as he shifted around the park but Mann said he’s happy to reprise the role in 2018 if required.

“[Utility value] is a good thing but it can be a bit of an achilles heel,” he said.

“It is a bit frustrating at times but it’s something I’ve got to do for the team because I can do it. There’s not many other people in our team that can so that’s my role and I’m happy to do it.

“It gets me picked every week because I can play anywhere but I like playing in the halves, I like playing fullback.

“You always want to opportunity to play consistently in those positions so when I get my opportunity again hopefully I can grab it.”

New arrival Ben Hunt is a lock to partner Widdop in the halves this season, making a halves start unlikely, but Mann will come in to consideration for the No.1 jumper left vacant by the departed Josh Dugan.

Young-gun Matt Dufty has the inside running having finished 2017 at fullback but Mann said he’ll certainly put his hand up should the chance arise.

It would be a chance to go full circle having played the first two games of the 2016 season, his first with the club, at the back.

“That’s something I’ve spoken to Mary about, I’ve told him I wouldn’t mind having a go there and see what comes of it,” Mann said.

“He’s pretty keen to have a look at me there so I’m sure through the trial period I’ll get a chance there at some stage and we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5190228/handy-mann-happy-to-reprise-utility-role/?cs=302
What a load of crap these articles really are.
If Mann want good enough (in McFookknuckle's world) to oust Nighty for the role last year when Duges was out and Nighty has been re-signed then how the hell can some idiot say he is ahead of Nighty let alone Dufty who had the role unchallenged at the back end of the season?
All this bla bla bla was said last year and didn't happen so it is just a cut and paste this year and it will be the same outcome.
More chance Nighty to get the 1 than Mann.

Crush

Coach
What a load of crap these articles really are.
If Mann want good enough (in McFookknuckle's world) to oust Nighty for the role last year when Duges was out and Nighty has been re-signed then how the hell can some idiot say he is ahead of Nighty let alone Dufty who had the role unchallenged at the back end of the season?
All this bla bla bla was said last year and didn't happen so it is just a cut and paste this year and it will be the same outcome.
More chance Nighty to get the 1 than Mann.
100% agree. It's absolute rubbish. You are exactly right, if he wasn't good enough last year to get a start ahead of nighty (in mays eyes) then why is he good enough this year? I guarantee our conservative coach will slot nighty straight back to FB if Dufty goes down. Nightingale to FB is such a negative move.

Old Timer

Coach
100% agree. It's absolute rubbish. You are exactly right, if he wasn't good enough last year to get a start ahead of nighty (in mays eyes) then why is he good enough this year? I guarantee our conservative coach will slot nighty straight back to FB if Dufty goes down. Nightingale to FB is such a negative move.
I can see the press conference from Mc Fookknuckle
"Well yeah, we bought Mann as a FB a couple of years ago so we could move Duges to the centres which would have been good for us.
We played Mann at FB for 2 games and he went OK in one but not very good in the other.
So we dropped him instantly because of that 1 bad game and moved Duges back to FB and then later on we were forced to bring Mann back into the NRL on the wing.
He was the leading try scored for us on the wing and he was there for less than a whole season but we worked out he really wasn't a winger, so we bought Nene for that role and we made Mann into a utility.
Well we had him on the bench and then we moved him to centre, to half, to 5/8 and then back to the bench, if my memory serves me well he might have even got a 5 minute gig at FB at some point but due to injuries we then moved him to another position during that game.
Of course injuries forced Duges back to the centres so we brought Dufty up from reserves and he played their for the last 6 or 7 games of the season and did pretty well.
So it is isn't at all surprising that we have got Mann short listed for FB this year, after all that's what we bought him for in the first place surely you guys understand that".