What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport Accord recognition

Pommy

Coach
I see League is listed as being an observer, I assume there’s some difference between that and full member?

deluded pom?

Coach
Its pretty vague when RL "began"...

1874 would have been when the RFU was founded, but Rugby was played well before that. That was just when the clubs came together to formalise the rules and enforce amateurism.

But 1895 isnt much better; the NRFU played under Union rules for their first decade, so hardly the "birth of RL".

The best you could probably say was that RL was founded in 1906; when NRFU dramatically changed to rules and basically made it impossible to remerge with the RFU.

Or you could go back to 1880 and suggest that Walter Camp's American Football innovation (that arguably inspired the NRFU to change their rules) was the birth of RL.

The point is, its not so clear cut to say "RL was founded in year XXXX"
Hull FC were founded in 1865. Surely they didn't have to play in an unorganised fashion for nine years before the RFU was formed?

Stallion

First Grade
Hull FC were founded in 1865. Surely they didn't have to play in an unorganised fashion for nine years before the RFU was formed?

Interesting. I noted that information on their badge! Wonder what's the actual status of rugby league origins ? It's worth finding out!? Even for trivia buffs!

siv

First Grade
I see League is listed as being an observer, I assume there’s some difference between that and full member?

Yes I would like to understand the conditions RL must full fill to move to full status

Eg higher quality beer at the stalls ?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Don't party just yet...

Finally, GAISF’s Council have approved applications from the Rugby League International Federation (RFIL) and International Padel Federation (FIP) for Observer Status.

RLIF and FIP become the eighth and ninth Observer of GAISF and, like the others, will now embark on a rigorous process of assessment and verification which – for those which satisfy all criteria – may lead to Full Membership. This requires resolving any perceived rivalry issues with existing members before going through a vote at a future GAISF General Assembly.

Membership Commission chairman Mr. Antonio Espinos said:

Both RLIF and FIP are to be congratulated on achieving Observer Status and their inclusion is a further example of the diversity of the world sporting family which GAISF represents.

We wish them every success and encourage them to now work directly with our existing members to resolve any open issues and learn from all of them, so that in due course they may comply with all requirements for being recommended for full membership.

https://gaisf.org/world-armwrestling-federation-recommended-for-full-gaisf-membership/

This would seem to be a compromise from GAISF, appeasing both union and league whilst still upholding union's objections to full membership.

adamkungl

Immortal
No Rivalry is literally their #1 criteria
https://gaisf.org/about/membership/

Union are already in, they can gatekeep RL out. And from a business sense, have every reason to do so no matter how much we stamp our feet.

The question now is, assuming that Full Membership is likely a long and tedious process, what benefits does Observer have, or not have for the sport?

upload_2018-2-1_11-57-30.png

Pommy

Coach

Union are already in, they can gatekeep RL out. And from a business sense, have every reason to do so no matter how much we stamp our feet.

The question now is, assuming that Full Membership is likely a long and tedious process, what benefits does Observer have, or not have for the sport?

View attachment 17338

It seems people have gone off half cocked on here. I can’t see much changing because we ‘might be a sport now’

siv

First Grade
I wonder how they were going bring in their get out clause

This requires resolving any perceived rivalry issues with existing members before going through a vote at a future GAISF General Assembly.

So RL has no rivalries.

But RU thinks they have one.

Guess it will come down a vote of non interested parties to decide if a breakaway 120-250 years ago by RU AFL Gridiron Gaelic Football from Soccer still matters today

Stallion

First Grade

View attachment 17338

It does give the legal status. And therefore an opportunity to access government funding. It's still important. But yes the caveat looks a bit dodgy with union having a significant say and we what their track record is. Softly softly by RLIF i suggest. Although blantant unfairness with rivalry as a reason should not inhibit rugby league's rights to grow and be recognised.

siv

First Grade
Actually would love to hear the argument from RU

Oh they left the Union in 1895
- but you left soccer federation in 1860s

But we changes the rules so we can pick up the ball
- so did Gaelic Football and AFL

No we dont kick it always we are allowed to run the ball
- you mean like Gridiron

Yes but we have different numbers of players
- but RL has two less players as well

But we play Rugby with 7s 15s and 11s
- Crickets also has a 6s comp so what

They also have scrums
- but they dont have lineouts

But they get tackled
- so do Gridiron players but they are only allowed 4 and RL is only allowed 6

But we have a WRL that runs our 13s game
- RLIF was established before the WRU
- in RL ran its World Cup before the Soccer WC

But they are a rebel group and use the word Rugby
- but Gridiron, RU and Soccer all call themselves Football

But they will pinch our players
- you mean like how AFL players go to Gridiron

But ...
But ...
But ...

taipan

Referee
Fair to suggest union will at times put up the barriers here and there,but at least the code is recognised as at least having growing International involvement.The steps have been laid to make growing the game at grassroots easier than prior,when no such Sport Accord acceptance was in pace.

IOW a lot easier to argue with Govt Sporting bodies for grants or acceptance in schools.

It is akin to rugby league being accepted as a tier 1 sport by the Commonwealth Games Committee.Early steps, but a recognition of how the code has grown and or being developed in many countries.
I'd much rather have Sport Accord having us on observer basis, than what we were facing before.

May well come the time and in the not too distant future, rugby league has grown so much, that Sport Accord and CG Committee,will have no other option but to fully approve our credentials.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
^^^

Actually, i think the implications of that 1874 reference is that they dont consider RL to be a part of RU that broke off.

Rather RL and RU are two halves of the formerly united Rugby, and that both sports have equal claim to that history. Basically, "Rugby" stopped existing in 1895; Rugby League and Rugby Union are BOTH offshoots from that common game.

Sure, RL has changed more since then, but RU is hardly loyal to those original rules.

Good point! And it may be a date that Dave Collier and the RLIF specified. Maybe it was one of the (many) sticking points that Rugby Union wouldn't agree on that help up the recognition for so long.

adamkungl

Immortal
On the flipside, if union persist in claiming rivalry and independent arbiturs are hence obliged to study the relationship between the two sports throughout history, some pretty ugly and probably mostly unknown (to GAISF) stuff will come out which I'd imagine union would not be too happy about sharing.

That's a valid point.
Some acts through history certainly won't reflect well upon them. Any fair system would place as much onus on existing members to respect the Conflict/Rivalry clause.
I don't know any instances of RL officials having other sports or their participants banned/financially dismantled/imprisoned

That said they likely have enough friends in high places that it won't matter.

Stallion

First Grade
That's a valid point.
Some acts through history certainly won't reflect well upon them. Any fair system would place as much onus on existing members to respect the Conflict/Rivalry clause.
I don't know any instances of RL officials having other sports or their participants banned/financially dismantled/imprisoned

That said they likely have enough friends in high places that it won't matter.

Well summed up Adamkungl!

siv

First Grade
Lets a SWAT analysis on the "criteria"

1. Which criteria do you need to satisfy to become a FULL Member of GAISF:
    1. Main Criteria 1: No Conflict – No Rivalry with GAISF Members (art 7.A.4.1)
    2. Main Criteria 2:
      1. Global Representation/Recognitions (art 7.A.4.8, 7.A.4.9, 7.A.4.10, 7.A.4.11)
      2. For summer sports, at least 40 active Member National Federations from at least 3 continents
      3. For winter sports, at least 25 active Member National Federations from at least 2 continents
  2. What is a Country?:
    (art 7.A.6): A country, to be defined as such, must comply with at least one of the two following conditions:

1. To be an independent state recognised by the International Community
    2. To have a National Olympic Committee recognized by the IOC
  3. What is a National Federation?:
    (art 7.A.6): A National Federation is a body representing a sport or a number of sports in a country that is recognised by the NOC and/or the highest sporting authority of the country;
  4. Organizational Criteria:
    1. Only Federation on a World Level (art 7.A.4.2)
    2. Not for Profit (art 7.A.4.3)
    3. WADA Signatory – Compliant (art 7.A.4.4)
    4. CAS Jurisdiction (art 7.A.4.4)
    5. Gender Representation (art 7.A.4.5)
    6. History General Assembly (art 7.A.4.6 and 7.A.4.7)
    7. Accounting Standards (art 7.A.4.14)
    8. Strategic Plan (art 7.A.4.15)
  5. Sport Criteria:
    1. Events Participation (art 7.A.4.12)
    2. Events Presentation (art 7.A.4.13)
    3. Main Achievements (art 7.A.4.16)
  6. Should you pay a Membership Application Fee?:
    Yes the Membership Application Fee is an “una tantum/paid once non refundable fee” which corresponds to 3.000 CHF (Associate Members) and 4.000 CHF (Full Member)