What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ASADA - Done and dusted

Stake Removed

First Grade
Cronulla Sharks reach settlement with 13 players over club’s 2011 supplements program

MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Daily Telegraph
31 minutes ago
CRONULLA’S seven-year drug saga is officially over after more than half of the club’s 2011 playing squad successfully reaching a more than $1 million settlement with the club.

Two years of ongoing courtroom battles has ended with the Daily Telegraph now able to reveal that 13 players from Cronulla’s 25-man squad had reached a confidential settlement with the club. However, while neither party would confirm the figure, it is understood that the payout was about $1.2 million with the reparation different for each player. One player received as much as $300,000 while others received about between $10,000 to $50,000.

FULLY SICK: Roosters star struck down by mumps

ARROGANT: Rhinos accuse NRL of dirty tricks

ebd41d682b5dfaf45d6e59aec368ae6b

Anthony Tupou was one of those to take action. (Brett Costello)
It has been learnt that the payout was covered by Cronulla’s insurance company with the club only needing to foot the about $100,000 spent on legal fees.

A string of high profile players including Anthony Tupou and Ben Pomeroy were joined by Albert Kelly, Scott Porter Dean Collis, Broderick Wright, Josh Cordoba, Isaac Gordon, Paul Aiton, Nathan Gardner, Stewart Mills, Nathan Stapleton and Stuart Flanagan in taking action against the club. Legal proceedings commenced as far back as 2016 with Gordon, Wright and Cordoba leading the charge before a string of other players joined them in seeking compensation. The latest was Porter in June while Gardner, Tupou and Kelly were among 10 players to accept an ASADA deal and given a back dated 12-month ban in 2014.

e7cf5fd1d71f635514e790c02ff8a957

Stephen Dank was the man behind the program.
Players sued for negligence, breach of contract and intentional tort during a period in 2011 when sports scientist Stephen Dank ran a supplements program at Cronulla. Gordon claimed he had suffered severe bruising, leading to tests for cancer as a result of the possible side effects he experienced.

All players were represented by Shine Lawyers.

Shine Lawyers NSW general manager James Chrara, said some players had struggled since the ASADA investigation became public.

“This has been a difficult period that has impacted and in some instances halted the lives of these players and their families since the revelations of the ASADA saga surfaced,” Chrara said. “The resolutions reached were fair and equitable and will provide relief to the players, who have undergone considerable stress and reputational loss as the NRL scandal played out.

“The players and their families can now breathe a sigh of relief as they put this saga behind them.

0:00
/
0:32
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%
abe35a5ee137d8600c0d444a12c73c5c

042dbbe8aa3ef40efb503d97f30e469e

Fittler: 'It will be a success'
“The new Sharks administration have been cooperative in working with us to deliver the best possible outcome for all parties involved. The players have demonstrated great strength of character throughout the legal process and have been supported throughout by their dedicated families.

“The resolutions achieved will bring an end to this chapter and will allow all parties to move forward with their lives.“

None of the players who took legal action against the club remain, with the only current Sharks from the 2011 squad being Paul Gallen and Wade Graham.

The Sharks also reached a settlement with Todd Carney for an unfair dismissal claim brought against the club by Carney last year.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...m/news-story/11c64cf34402f779de8f6fd2bd49e45e

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
FMD.....no wonder we finished 15th in the year in question with those players mentioned in the article....needed more than faarrkkenn peptides to get those nuffies up!

Generalzod

Immortal
I hope they declare the money...Really why did Tupou sue he had no problem seeking a contract in England, This bloke was our highest paid player at the time.

taipan

Referee
Score
Lawyers 3
Players 2
Club a draw
Insce Co zero
Dank consigned to the rubbish tip of history.

carcharias

Immortal
Carney gets a payout
What sort of a world do we live in?
The others I can fully understand but not that f**king useless merkin.
Worst signing in sharks history.

Eion

First Grade
I knew insurance would cover this. All the bullshit reports about this costing the club millions and sinking us....

Carney gets a payout

I so want Carney to f**k up again it’s not funny.

He’s a wart to Rugby League.

taipan

Referee
I knew insurance would cover this. All the bullshit reports about this costing the club millions and sinking us....

That's the Telecrap for you.Wilson,Hooper,Massoud predicting the end of the known rl world.

Ads

First Grade
Carney gets a payout
I still don't understand why you cant see the clear reason he got a payout? He was a f**kup no doubt but Noyce matched him totally by f**king up the sacking.

carcharias

Immortal
I still don't understand why you cant see the clear reason he got a payout? He was a f**kup no doubt but Noyce matched him totally by f**king up the sacking.

Surely you must agree it is a f**ked up world we live in when he gets paid for his own stupidity?

I couldn’t give a f**k how or when he was sacked
He deserved to be sacked on the spot.

The audacity of the merkin for even challenging it makes me sick.

He is a f**king prick.
Everything he does turns to shit.

But it’s always someone else fault.

M2D2

Bench
i dont have an agenda against drink and drive, so i dont agree.
He also stopped us getting Benji.

shaggs

Coach
Surely you must agree it is a f**ked up world we live in when he gets paid for his own stupidity?

I couldn’t give a f**k how or when he was sacked
He deserved to be sacked on the spot.

The audacity of the merkin for even challenging it makes me sick.

He is a f**king prick.
Everything he does turns to shit.

But it’s always someone else fault.
Happens everyday carch. In every area of life.

f**k ups getting hand outs and expecting more and more.

carcharias

Immortal
I hope he winds up busted in a park drinking metho.
...when he does I’ll laugh in the merkins face.

Might kick him in the nuts for a laugh while I’m at it.

Alcohol is not the word I used by the way
Filter goody two shoed it up

Eion

First Grade
Then you will never understand why we had to pay him cash for sacking him the way we did. Take the emotion out of it. The club f**ked up as well.
Even if the club screwed up, the issue everyone who isn't a mate of his or involved in the judicial system has is the douche shouldn't have received a cent. He should have and would have been sacked immediately on any planet where common sense ruled.

It's just another nail in the coffin of a broken system. In the meantime insurance premiums will continue to jack up because someone has to pay for all this crap.

Even if the club screwed up, the issue everyone who isn't a mate of his or involved in the judicial system has is the douche shouldn't have received a cent. He should have and would have been sacked immediately on any planet where common sense ruled.

It's just another nail in the coffin of a broken system. In the meantime insurance premiums will continue to jack up because someone has to pay for all this crap.

We live in a time where "the letter of the law" means evertyhing, but "spirit of the law"(otherwise known as common sense ) means nothing.