What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Newlands, Capetown, March 22-26, 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
100s of people calling him a cheat everyday for the rest of his life. Will take a toll on the bloke but he deserves it

Yup will be booed everywhere, maybe not so much or damming in Australia but he will still cop it here particularly in the other states.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he retired, if not straight away , soonish.

Personally I hope he plays on and is even a better batsman than he has been without the captaincy. God knows we need batting.

JJ

Immortal
I'd hate to think he cops too much abuse on the streets - but at games he will wear it as will others, and rightly so - and it seems that for a while he might get it from home fans too - I actually think that's good, and kind of important - as I said earlier (much as I am not a fan) the Australian cricket team is special, and the home fans making their displeasure known could bring it home for a few of these buffoons

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Australia's stand-in captain Tim Paine has revealed Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft are going through emotional turmoil following a "strange, horrible 24 hours" after admitting to their role in the ball-tampering scandal that has rocked Australia cricket.

Smith was stood down as Australia captain for the remainder of the third Test against South Africa, which the tourists lost by 322 overnight in Cape Town, before being handed a one-match ban by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

Australia vice-captain David Warner was also removed from his position on the fourth day in Cape Town.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...t-struggling-in-ball-tampering-affair/9586056

Smith out of the 4th test and Warner stood down as VC.

Bancroft free to play so what message is this sending ?

Eelectrica

Referee
Wouldn’t surprise me if he retired, if not straight away , soonish.
Probably depends on just how hard the ACB come down on him. If they stop at stripping of captaincy hopefully he could be convinced to stay on as a batsman.
If they go with a 12 month suspension or worse I think he becomes a merc for hire on the T20 circuit.

Eelectrica

Referee
Australia's stand-in captain Tim Paine has revealed Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft are going through emotional turmoil following a "strange, horrible 24 hours" after admitting to their role in the ball-tampering scandal that has rocked Australia cricket.

Smith was stood down as Australia captain for the remainder of the third Test against South Africa, which the tourists lost by 322 overnight in Cape Town, before being handed a one-match ban by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

Australia vice-captain David Warner was also removed from his position on the fourth day in Cape Town.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...t-struggling-in-ball-tampering-affair/9586056

That the penalties handed out in the past haven't been harsh enough and the laws are in dire need of attention.

That Smith actually believed the penalty for this was a slap on the wrist and a good talking to speaks volumes as to how ineffectual the ICC has been to this point.

Timbo

Staff member

Surely they can't pick him. Surely they can't pick any of them?

I'd like to hope that Burns and Renshaw are already on a westward bound plane for the fourth test, as well as a few squad replacements in case of injury?

I think you need to recall everyone involved - Smith, Warner, Bancroft, the remains of the 'leadership group' in Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon, and potentially even Handscomb as he was seemingly the lookout or at least in on it enough to be running messages. Lehmann needs to be recalled too, and Punter - or in my dream scenario, Dizzy - sent over there to take the reigns as I cannot see any way possible that Lehmann was left out of the loop here.

It'll be a popgun attack of Cummins, Richardson, Sayers and Holland for Jo'burg, but who cares at this point? A thrashing inside of three days is probably what we deserve.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Surely they can't pick him. Surely they can't pick any of them?

I'd like to hope that Burns and Renshaw are already on a westward bound plane for the fourth test, as well as a few squad replacements in case of injury?

I think you need to recall everyone involved - Smith, Warner, Bancroft, the remains of the 'leadership group' in Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon, and potentially even Handscomb as he was seemingly the lookout or at least in on it enough to be running messages. Lehmann needs to be recalled too, and Punter - or in my dream scenario, Dizzy - sent over there to take the reigns as I cannot see any way possible that Lehmann was left out of the loop here.

It'll be a popgun attack of Cummins, Richardson, Sayers and Holland for Jo'burg, but who cares at this point? A thrashing inside of three days is probably what we deserve.

the problem with that Timbo is that it has not yet been clearly defined who our leadership group is so till then anyone other than capt and VC is just an assumption

Clarkey said on Foxsports yesterday that in his time is was C, VC and coach but he had no idea who is in this leadership group

there has also be no evidence of Boof being involved so there is no point in speculating till we know the truth and I know some people have already claimed boof should be hung in the court of public opinion

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I’m glad I didn’t stay up to watch it, other than to see who would open the batting. Kinda hoping Paine and Mitch Marsh would lol , just joking.

AB called it prior play. Said SA already had enough runs and predicted Australia would crumble due to not having the right head space because of what went on.

We need to get AB back in the Aussie set up. Bring in tugger and punter (he is there for t20) in some capacity. Also if he is able bring back bobby Simpson.

We need a shake up at the top and the coaching level if we are to move forward, punishing smith and warner badly won’t cut it until some nite it’s at the higher end of the scale are booted
They should start with Sutherland and Howard and work their way down.

Absolutely devastated with what has happened. The stupidity in so many ways is breathtaking. Those dopes have ruined the legacy that so many players and Captains have built over many decades.

One thing I won’t be doing though is listening to the hypocritical South African commentary. South Africa have been caught ball tampering 3 times in the last 5 years. Twice by their current Captain. They were only fined and no one was suspended.

I hope we take a greater stance to cheating than what the South Africans did.

Bazal

Post Whore
The number of people calling for life bans around the place is absolutely staggering. Seriously, ball tampering is pretty minor on the scale of things....Smith and Warner should lose their leadership roles absolutely, but come on

billygilmore

Juniors
The number of people calling for life bans around the place is absolutely staggering. Seriously, ball tampering is pretty minor on the scale of things....Smith and Warner should lose their leadership roles absolutely, but come on

Agreed, perhaps just ban them from playing on Australian highways so Smith’s inflated average can return to normal

Timbo

Staff member

I do agree, although I would like to see something heavy done.

Ban them from leadership roles, drop them from our next two test series (away to Zimbabwe, home to Bangladesh according to the FTP) and then refuse to grant them NOCs for the next 12-18 months so they can't be T20 mercs.

Bazal

Post Whore
I do agree, although I would like to see something heavy done.

Ban them from leadership roles, drop them from our next two test series (away to Zimbabwe, home to Bangladesh according to the FTP) and then refuse to grant them NOCs for the next 12-18 months so they can't be T20 mercs.

I'd be happy with banning them for a few Tests and stripping them of leadership roles. And a hefty monetary fine to boot

Hutty1986

Immortal
I'm so over the absolute hysteria of this shit already