What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don't think Gus will be so generous with Nathan by telling him he is 'free to go and test the market' because if he did Uncle Nick would surely be offering a deal to potentially make Nathan the highest player in the game.

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't think Gus will be so generous with Nathan by telling him he is 'free to go and test the market' because if he did Uncle Nick would surely be offering a deal to potentially make Nathan the highest player in the game.
I think it's a forgone conclusion he will be. He beat Ash Taylor to an Origin jersey. Hes going yo be the NSW7 for the next decade unless he's a dud like Pearce.

tripster

Juniors
I wouldn't be surprised if there is large player turnover at the end of 2019, but we manage to keep Nathan.

It seems to me that our premiership window, where we are likely to have most if not all of the current squad is this year and next year.

2020 seems to be when there will be real difficulties and possibly a lot of turnover. It simply won't be possible to keep the current playing group together much past this year and next. It is stacked full of so much talent, and the salary cap is intended precisely to prevent one club hoarding all of it.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
I am not too worried about the Roosters with Uncle Nick. I think we can match any offer they come up with. Gould and Uncle Nick are very close. I don't expect a bidding war this time around from him.
Uncle Nick has a few irons in the fire once Cronk goes. 2 rookies in Lam and O'Sullivan coming through and there is always the possibility of getting Pearce back come 2020 for a swan song.

The 2 things we can't match is the massive offers from the stupid clubs that would wreck their cap just to sign 1 or 2 quality players. The other thing we can't match is the opportunity to play with his dad.
At this moment in time for his development I think we are in the box seat to retain him. We have opened a premiership window and he is really learning a lot of Maloney.
I don't think the timing is right to link up with Ivan yet.
I say he signs a 3 or 4 year extension and the contract after that might be the one we struggle to hold on to him.

I think there’s very little chance we lose Cleary.

There’s only a one year overlap on some other big contracts, Tamou, Merrin & Maloney.

Worst case is he doesn’t earn a heap in his first year of a new deal, but then is bumped up for the remaining 3-4 years.

To me the guys we’ll lose are mostly those 3 above. Conservatively they’re about $2m of our cap.

MrBlack

Juniors

There’s only a one year overlap on some other big contracts, Tamou, Merrin & Maloney.

Worst case is he doesn’t earn a heap in his first year of a new deal, but then is bumped up for the remaining 3-4 years.

To me the guys we’ll lose are mostly those 3 above. Conservatively they’re about $2m of our cap.

Gus's way has to bring in the experience to nurture the youth. At some stage we will have our own experience. I agree with you that guys like Merrin Tamau etc will move on (retire) and free up substantial cap. I don't think we loose too many.

We haven't lost anyone yet that we should have kept (though a small argument for Cook !!!)

tripster

Juniors

As you say, Tamou, Merrin and Maloney are all signed to the end of 2020.

You'd have to think Maloney will almost certainly retire once he finishes his contract with us. At the end of 2020 he'll be 35. Would make a fantastic halves coach somewhere you'd think.

At the end of 2020 Tamou will be 32. He might be good for one or two more seasons, but would struggle to demand big money at that stage of his career. Merrin will be the youngest, at 31. Again, probably good for a few more seasons, but who knows if we resign him.

By that point most of the younger forwards in our squad will have a tonne of first grade experience under their belts, and hopefully we have more gun junior forwards coming through. In those circumstances you'd have to think at least one of Tamou and Merrin are likely to be moved on, unless they are willing to take substantial paycuts in their new contracts.

franklin2323

Immortal
Wallace, McKendry, Maloney, Merrin, Tamou are all on their last contract with us. All will be replaced with minimum wage players. Freeing up cash to stock up our young guys we want to keep.

We have about 10 guys that will be regulars now sitting at 50-100 FG games. Give them 50 odd more and that is a big core of experience and makes them our senior guys

Kilkenny

Coach
I was of the belief Jack Hethrington was off contract at the end of this season but just saw on Gus Gould's twitter feed he is signed up for 2019. Good news.

The not so good news was he also said in another tweet our cap is under enormous pressure for 2019 & 2020 and we will not be able to retain all of our players. I guess we all pretty much new that anyway. Can't keep em all.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I was of the belief Jack Hethrington was off contract at the end of this season but just saw on Gus Gould's twitter feed he is signed up for 2019. Good news.

The not so good news was he also said in another tweet our cap is under enormous pressure for 2019 & 2020 and we will not be able to retain all of our players. I guess we all pretty much new that anyway. Can't keep em all.

I think we all know that. That is why Peach was let sign for 2019 and beyond. The players you've highlighted are spot on too.

I watched with interested at the game on Saturday night the reggies and flegg. Panthers are in good shape regarding the future.

As fans and members we are indebted to Gould and the systems he's put in place.

GongPanther

Referee
There is the one most important of all reasons why Cleary is staying with us,and he himself has publicly stated why he wants to. It's because that he is with his mates. Not just playing the sport he loves,but the strong binding friendships he has forged since he started playing grade with Penrith.

I don't see any other reason why he would move on. At this moment in time,his mates mean more to him than playing in his Dad's team,or playing with another environment which would be completely alien to him. And this strong value of mateship would have come from his father,Ivan who has to be commended for installing such a mature character trait within his son.

GongPanther

Referee

The Penrith tradition of the assembley line of good players heading off to other pastures continues on.

TheFrog

Coach
It occurs to me that with the Broncos having made clear that they want to replace Bennett, if Bellamy decides to remain at the Storm, Bennett's position at the Broncos becomes untenable at the end of next season at the latest. Griffin has a 60% and rising win record at Penrith, I just wonder if they might try to get him back.

tripster

Juniors
McKendry and Browne's retirement are still to go through yet. That will fix up some space

Is Mckendry retiring? I have seen you mention it a few times, but there hasn’t been any official announcement. He is also contracted for 2019 I thought. Do you have some inside knowledge of it?

franklin2323

Immortal
Is Mckendry retiring? I have seen you mention it a few times, but there hasn’t been any official announcement. He is also contracted for 2019 I thought. Do you have some inside knowledge of it?

I was told in Round 5 that neither Browne or McKendry were coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.