What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

DC_fan

Coach
Nrl will work out a way to count this as 1 game at with a 200k crowd

Actually some here (not I) will suggest that it will be eight games of 52,000 each. Giving a weekend total attendance of 416,000.

That would considerably boost eight teams season crowd average. There could be a fight between teams, to be named the home team that weekend.

Reactions: Vee

Raiderdave

First Grade
Actually some here (not I) will suggest that it will be eight games of 52,000 each. Giving a weekend total attendance of 416,000.

That would considerably boost eight teams season crowd average. There could be a fight between teams, to be named the home team that weekend.

no
the NRL method
it'll be 3 .. events .. with a total attendance of 156K or whatever it ends up divided into the total season aggregate
not 400K plus

it should be 156K divided by 8 & some sites will report it this way & in my opinion it should be this way.

jim_57

Staff member
3 reasons why this really works in Super League.

1. It is one of few "events" in the calender that can draw 30k+ outside of the 2 major finals and sporadic internationals.
2. Fans are for the most part very close geographically and these weekends aren't much travel for 90%+ of fans.
3. It is an extra round so no team loses a home game.

Literally none of those apply to Australia/NRL. Who are the lucky 8 teams who are forced to move a home game? You can be sure too that games places like Bathurst, Mudgee, Adelaide, Toowoomba etc are the ones who will lose games out of this by knock-on effect.

Only way I think this could be a good idea would be to have "Magic" for one off events like opening new stadiums, even then 8 games is too much.

Allianz
Manly, Roosters, Sharks & Dragons all host a home game, 2 Double headers over Saturday & Sunday.

ANZ
Tigers V Dragons, Souths V Roosters - Saturday
Penrith V Manly, Bulldogs V Eels - Sunday

The Marshall

Juniors
What’s the point in doing this? It’s in Brisbane so it’s not growing the game and unless you were traveling to watch your team in the first place I doubt this would change your mind.

DIOGENES

Juniors
3 reasons why this really works in Super League.

1. It is one of few "events" in the calender that can draw 30k+ outside of the 2 major finals and sporadic internationals.
2. Fans are for the most part very close geographically and these weekends aren't much travel for 90%+ of fans.
3. It is an extra round so no team loses a home game.

Literally none of those apply to Australia/NRL. Who are the lucky 8 teams who are forced to move a home game? You can be sure too that games places like Bathurst, Mudgee, Adelaide, Toowoomba etc are the ones who will lose games out of this by knock-on effect.

Only way I think this could be a good idea would be to have "Magic" for one off events like opening new stadiums, even then 8 games is too much.

Allianz
Manly, Roosters, Sharks & Dragons all host a home game, 2 Double headers over Saturday & Sunday.

ANZ
Tigers V Dragons, Souths V Roosters - Saturday
Penrith V Manly, Bulldogs V Eels - Sunday

Isn't there a proposal to take Magic Weekend to New York?
That's a long way from Wigan

jim_57

Staff member

Isn't there a proposal to take Magic Weekend to New York?
That's a long way from Wigan

Maybe, a proposal doesn't really mean much though. Magic weekend is the wrong event to take too far away from the UK for that reason. There are plenty of nore reasonable options for promotional games in New York and there are plenty of better options if the NRL wants to give Brisbane more games, like, I dunno, a second team?

Latest posts