What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

DIOGENES

Juniors
I played Aussie Rules as a Newcastle school-boy 47 years ago. My brother got into the Newcastle Aussie rules schoolboy rep team (heavy competition for that) 54 years ago
In fact the "Black Diamond Cup" is said to be the oldest Aussie Rules competition outside Victoria.
AFL has a long history in Newcastle and still next to no-one gives a shit about it

Stallion

First Grade
I played Aussie Rules as a Newcastle school-boy 47 years ago. My brother got into the Newcastle Aussie rules schoolboy rep team (heavy competition for that) 54 years ago
In fact the "Black Diamond Cup" is said to be the oldest Aussie Rules competition outside Victoria.
AFL has a long history in Newcastle and still next to no-one gives a shit about it

I agree. The junior numbers for that code (which is a training run) have increased from what I'm seeing and hearing. MInd you they entice the kids to play on a Sunday after the main choice sport like soccer and rugby league is played on the Saturday. But this was not the case in Newcastle over 20 years ago.

Pommy

Coach
The lack of free to air tv NRL on Saturdays isn't doing the clubs any favours.

Whilst I would like free to air games on a Saturday it’s hard to say it’s not doing them favours. The clubs need money fox pays them money.

Stallion

First Grade
It is dejavu in this thread.
Stallion is a copy and paste job from last school holidays.

Thanks Mave. No copy and paste. Just informing the realities of someone whom is on the ground so to speak .My role as a teacher enables me to see what the kids are playing. Please be assured I'm absolutely encouraging of the kids I meet playing rugby league and am recommending to local development officers to push leaguetag comps in primary schools. So.I'm not watching and seeing this happen . I'm having a go at being proactive for the code. But times have clearly changed. It's not wise to ignore these scenarios. Even to dismiss that it's not happening will.not do any good for rugby league into the future. RL is a superior code and deserves proactive and well targeted support.

thorson1987

Coach
How many families in Sydney are watching the AFL grand final? I have no idea on the figures but my guess would be not a lot.

50000 (watch the wrong one)

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...e/news-story/eb8087922fb2957956dd817f88f14a84

50,000 watch wrong game
By Richard Clune, The Sunday Telegraph
October 8, 2006 12:00am

FIFTY thousand Australians watched the AFL grand final last weekend and saw Barry Hall play a blinder.
They cheered the Sydney Swans to a second narrow victory over the West Coast Eagles, sealed amazingly by yet another match-saving mark in the last second by Leo Barry. But their parallel universe was exposed when they rang their mates to celebrate, or commiserate, after the game.

It was then they discovered thegrand final they thought they were watching was the 2005 version _ not the 2006 thriller, which West Coast won by a point. The replay was screened by pay-TV channel Fox Footy at the same time the real thing was being shown live on Channel 10.

About 50,000 viewers who tuned in to Fox Footy's coverage were miffed at being duped. Fan Chris Graham, who watched the entire 2005 replay with a "Swans-mad mate'', said he was annoyed with the channel, which has since ceased operations after failing to obtain a new AFL rights agreement.

"What they did was a disgrace,'' Mr Graham said. "They promoted it as the grand-final edition the entire day. They just forgot to add 2006.'' Mr Graham admitted that at one point during the telecast, he questioned whether he was watching a replay of 2005.

"I thought at times that it looked familiar, but I just put that down to the fact the same two teams were playing.''

Another viewer, Andrew Hagger, said he was overseas for last year's grand final and tuned into Fox Footy thinking he was watching this season's decider. "Given that Fox Footy is no more, maybe this was their attempt at a humorous parting gesture? Problem is, I really wasn't amused once I learned I'd been watching the wrong game.''

His confusion was mirrored by a sports editor at a Tasmanian newspaper who confirmed he, too, had been caught out watching the wrong game. "It was a busy day in the office. I had my head down and wasn't really concentrating on the game.

"When I saw West Coast interchange (former ruckman) Michael Gardiner, I realised my mistake and quickly turned over.''

Several callers to post-game radio shows said they had also watched the entire replay, even though they were listening to live radio coverage of the 2006 game. "I just thought it was different because of satellite delay or something,'' one caller said.

A Foxtel spokesman said there had been "no malicious intent to confuse audiences'', despite Fox Footy screening its own live preamble, hosted by Matthew Campbell and Wayne Carey. "It was listed as a replay in our programming guides,'' he told The Sunday Telegraph.

Foxtel football executive Peter Campbell was unapologetic. "We've got to show something. I would have thought Ten made it clear they were the premiership network and it was live and exclusive,'' he said.

Never f**king gets old.

Pommy

Coach
Thanks Mave. No copy and paste. Just informing the realities of someone whom is on the ground so to speak .My role as a teacher enables me to see what the kids are playing. Please be assured I'm absolutely encouraging of the kids I meet playing rugby league and am recommending to local development officers to push leaguetag comps in primary schools. So.I'm not watching and seeing this happen . I'm having a go at being proactive for the code. But times have clearly changed. It's not wise to ignore these scenarios. Even to resend it's not happening will.not do any good for rugby league into the future. It's a superior code and deserves proactive and well targeted support.

If this is how you carry on infront of the kids please refrain from mentioning our code. You can only be doing more harm than good.

mave

Coach
Thanks Mave. No copy and paste. Just informing the realities of someone whom is on the ground so to speak .My role as a teacher enables me to see what the kids are playing. Please be assured I'm absolutely encouraging of the kids I meet playing rugby league and am recommending to local development officers to push leaguetag comps in primary schools. So.I'm not watching and seeing this happen . I'm having a go at being proactive for the code. But times have clearly changed. It's not wise to ignore these scenarios. Even to dismiss that it's not happening will.not do any good for rugby league into the future. RL is a superior code and deserves proactive and well targeted support.

We have read it all before, ad nauseam, from you, last time.

Mister primary schools I breach their is at least one kid playing Aust rules. That wasn't the in decades gone by. A year 3/4 class ofor 30 students all referred to football as being AFL about a month ago . When I we questioned this they "Get with it sir!"

Four askool teeecher u hav veary bad speeellin problims.

As for your class saying football is afl

Your trolling has reached new lows .
In fact your trolling reminds me of Weiners .

Back to big floggy to gloat & tell them
You showed those thugby boys ..who's boss .

thorson1987

Coach

It's not Incestcity is it?

Stallion

First Grade

Pathetic response. But I.must admit I should proof read before I post as the preemptive text is not doing my writing favours. The scenario from Dudley Public school is true. I spoke to a Catholic school deputy principle about this experience and he remarked " It makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time!"

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
50000 (watch the wrong one)

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...e/news-story/eb8087922fb2957956dd817f88f14a84

50,000 watch wrong game
By Richard Clune, The Sunday Telegraph
October 8, 2006 12:00am

FIFTY thousand Australians watched the AFL grand final last weekend and saw Barry Hall play a blinder.
They cheered the Sydney Swans to a second narrow victory over the West Coast Eagles, sealed amazingly by yet another match-saving mark in the last second by Leo Barry. But their parallel universe was exposed when they rang their mates to celebrate, or commiserate, after the game.

It was then they discovered thegrand final they thought they were watching was the 2005 version _ not the 2006 thriller, which West Coast won by a point. The replay was screened by pay-TV channel Fox Footy at the same time the real thing was being shown live on Channel 10.

About 50,000 viewers who tuned in to Fox Footy's coverage were miffed at being duped. Fan Chris Graham, who watched the entire 2005 replay with a "Swans-mad mate'', said he was annoyed with the channel, which has since ceased operations after failing to obtain a new AFL rights agreement.

"What they did was a disgrace,'' Mr Graham said. "They promoted it as the grand-final edition the entire day. They just forgot to add 2006.'' Mr Graham admitted that at one point during the telecast, he questioned whether he was watching a replay of 2005.

"I thought at times that it looked familiar, but I just put that down to the fact the same two teams were playing.''

Another viewer, Andrew Hagger, said he was overseas for last year's grand final and tuned into Fox Footy thinking he was watching this season's decider. "Given that Fox Footy is no more, maybe this was their attempt at a humorous parting gesture? Problem is, I really wasn't amused once I learned I'd been watching the wrong game.''

His confusion was mirrored by a sports editor at a Tasmanian newspaper who confirmed he, too, had been caught out watching the wrong game. "It was a busy day in the office. I had my head down and wasn't really concentrating on the game.

"When I saw West Coast interchange (former ruckman) Michael Gardiner, I realised my mistake and quickly turned over.''

Several callers to post-game radio shows said they had also watched the entire replay, even though they were listening to live radio coverage of the 2006 game. "I just thought it was different because of satellite delay or something,'' one caller said.

A Foxtel spokesman said there had been "no malicious intent to confuse audiences'', despite Fox Footy screening its own live preamble, hosted by Matthew Campbell and Wayne Carey. "It was listed as a replay in our programming guides,'' he told The Sunday Telegraph.

Foxtel football executive Peter Campbell was unapologetic. "We've got to show something. I would have thought Ten made it clear they were the premiership network and it was live and exclusive,'' he said.

Never f**king gets old.

like these two as well

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,19687863-23214,00.html

Beating league players at own game

By Robert Shaw
July 5, 2006 Fox Sports

WE have seen a cross-pollination from the two rugby codes, but no players have moved directly from the NRL to the AFL or vice versa.

In my mind, there is no doubt, given time and education, that AFL players far exceed their northern neighbours in the capacity to not only change codes but improve rugby league.

Here's how they could achieve an overall advantage.

Using superior aerobic capacity from players in all positions, the AFL team could sustain a higher intensity for longer.

The kicking skills of all players (not just selective kickers) would enable attacking launches from any point of the field where the AFL boys would control territory through precise accuracy.

The kicking game across the field to a wing would destroy the small rugby league fullbacks, with the AFL men controlling the air with their aerial skills. Constant aerial and kicking skills would be enough to keep the league boys on the back foot for 70 minutes.

Superior running skills, especially of our big men, would create more attacking options out wide.

And with the concept of "total football" the AFL players would have greater versatility in positioning.

Ball-handling skills across the players would enable the ball to be transferred through the hands of all, making a more expansive game plan possible.

Our second rowers and props could constantly adjust their positions due to their ball handling skills.
After the six-tackle count, the kicking could be done by any player due to the two-sided kicking skills of all players making defence against the kicking game difficult.

The similarities of AFL players would enable them to rotate positions constantly. AFL men are used to this and tactically it would be an edge.

They could also rotate players better through high demand positions to maintain intensity.

Any lack of size of AFL players would be nullified by increasing the intensity and running demands of the game through quick ball and hand movement.

Kicking effectively for touch or after penalties would decrease attacking distance for the AFL and increase it for league when they are in attack.

League players would counter strongly with their front-on assault and tackle count.

It is not unusual for a NRL player to make 30-35 full-on, front-on, tackles in a game; if an AFL player has eight tackles, he's been outstanding.

The league players have a lower centre of gravity and good pace so their ability to evade tackles, and lay off a punishing ball to their centres, would be critical.

AFL players would have great difficulty controlling this phase. The injection of players from rugby backgrounds such as Lewis Roberts-Thomson and Jason Akermanis would alleviate this somewhat.

Lower centre of gravity also allows for power in the tackle and the leg drive would be something the AFL players would find very uncomfortable, and they would find laying effective tackles an issue.

So who are our AFL players who could hypothetically convert to rugby league and take on the might of New South Wales or Queensland?

Fullback: Andrew McLeod Wings: Anthony Koutoufides, Matt McGuire Centres: Brendon Goddard, Lewis Roberts-Thomson Five-eighth: Adam Goodes Halfback: James Hird Props: David Hille, Barry Hall Hooker: Luke Ball Second row: Jonathan Brown, Mitch Hahn Lock: Dean Rioli. Interchange: Jason Akermanis, Quinten Lynch, Chris Judd, Brian Harris

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/v...f3a01cd0e?sv=c7a1c1259b8cb6898d0e11c7ab8f38dd

Sordid sex on website

Matt Doran

May 03, 2007 12:00am

AFL matches, scout halls, hospitals, supermarkets and cinemas are among venues across Melbourne listed on a gay website as hook-up points for sordid sexual encounters.

The Australian Family Association has called on police to stringently monitor the website, which promotes itself as a "neighbourhood cruising guide" and features more than 15,000 public locations in Australia where gay and bisexual men meet regularly for sex.

The Canadian-based website has been known to police for some time, but recent posts about hardcore sex acts in family-orientated venues have prompted fresh calls for it to be banned.

Men have posted messages about sexual liaisons in toilets during AFL football matches at the MCG and Telstra Dome.

Other disturbing meeting points include:

PUBLIC pools: members openly talk about having oral sex and intercourse at swimming pool toilet blocks and in saunas.

MAJOR shopping centres: toilets, cinemas and change rooms at Southland, Knox and Fountain Gate shopping centres are listed as hot spots for gay activity.

AIRPORT lounges: numerous posts list flight departure times and call for men to loiter near public toilets and lounges on the lookout for potential "targets".

A HOSPITAL: toilets at a major Melbourne hospital are listed as a rendezvous point for gay encounters. According to the listing the toilets are frequented by "visitors, nurses and doctors".

Other locations include public parks and gardens, lifesaving club toilets, public libraries and a scout hall.

The site also includes a guide titled "Help In Case You Are Arrested".

Police spokeswoman Cassandra Stone said: "We are aware that these types of places exist and we actively patrol them."

Australian Family Association state secretary Angela Conway said the public domain was not the place for sexual activity.

"This sort of hyper-sexualised culture is just not a good thing for families with young children to have to encounter," Ms Conway said.

"It is disgusting that the community's free use of these facilities is being compromised in this way."

unforgiven

Bench
Pathetic response. But I.must admit I should proof read before I post as the preemptive text is not doing my writing favours. The scenario from Dudley Public school is true. I spoke to a Catholic school deputy principle about this experience and he remarked " It makes you wonder what things will be like I'm 20 years time!"

You didn't proof read this one either?

Burns

First Grade
I thought Stallion was gone from this forum. Sigh.

Anyway, ANZ was decent, but I wonder when we'll see an uptick in South Sydney's crowds? They've just won 9 straight, and with next week being Sutton's 300th - have to start cracking the 25,000 at ANZ surely?

Raiderdave

First Grade
I agree. The junior numbers for that code (which is a training run) have increased from what I'm seeing and hearing. MInd you they entice the kids to play on a Sunday after the main choice sport like soccer and rugby league is played on the Saturday. But this was not the case in Newcastle over 20 years ago.
no one cares or believes what you're seeing or hearing
produce stats

or shut up

Stallion

First Grade
no one cares or believes what you're seeing or hearing
produce stats

or shut up

Yes. I noticed anecdotal evidence in the form of real. life experiences don't count for much to many on this website. Ok then ? Don't take note and let things just happen. Good onya! Is that called apathy? Whatever it is its not proactive for rugby league. Seems like just like RL administrators have been sitting on their hands so are some of the fans!

Stallion

First Grade
I thought Stallion was gone from this forum. Sigh.

Anyway, ANZ was decent, but I wonder when we'll see an uptick in South Sydney's crowds? They've just won 9 straight, and with next week being Sutton's 300th - have to start cracking the 25,000 at ANZ surely?

Lol. Burnsy I missed you so much! Thanks for your support. Makes me feel so good!