What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Honest assessment of Todd Greenberg

How would you rate Greenbergs'

• Great for the game. A significant step up from his predecessors.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Nothing special. Done some things that are great for the game, and others not so good

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Would have been better off with Dave Smith.

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • GTFO you sook

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
The good
  1. Biggest TV deal in history (including simulcasting) - this would have happened anyway. And if we remember correctly, this deal we're in now was John Grant blinking and not trusting his previous CEO.
  2. Increase in club memberships - the initial push for memberships came from Todd and Shane Richardson, back when Todd was at the Dogs. No other CEO would have had any different. It's a club pushed thing.
  3. Reduction of the interchange - meh. Would have happened regardless.
  4. Introduction of HIA. Yep. Good strong stance.
  5. An increase in grassroots attendance - largely due to the merger/take over of touch and austag. Partial credit.
  6. Introduction of NRLW - Got it going without much fuss. Good job. Keep going.
  7. Return to more suburban venues - he's walked the line with this. The push should still be away from them with the likes of Belmore, Leichhardt, etc, to be used on occasion.
  8. Introduction of the 9s. This was not a push from him, it was the external promoter. The two years the NRL have had control of it, one year it wasn't played, the other it was reduced by a game in the most moronic format ever. Not impressed so far with the NRLs handling of it.

The bad

1. The bunker - the video ref with a different name. It's not bad. People just need to come to grips with the fact that mistakes will be made, regardless of technology, and sometimes you're just wrong and the ref is right.
  2. The handling of the Matt Lodge situation. Yep, that was a bomb.
  3. Sucking up to Cameron Smith and his wallet (diamond ring for his wife, and "testimonial game" anyone?) - Yep, has gone too far with the deep throat for several players and the favouritism.
  4. Defending Greg Inglis on his drink driving charge. - I actually have no issue with this.
  5. The state of officiating. - Come up with a better solution.
  6. Moving State of Origin out of their states of Origin on a yearly basis. - Smart move. Creates national interest and makes a shit load of cash.
  7. Removing of Monday night games (No more football for 5 nights a week). - Lol, seriously?
  8. Auto sin bin for punches (and slaps, apparently) - Nope. Right call. In fact, we need more penalties and binnings until coaches get the idea not to push every f**king limit in the rules they can.
  9. Crowd averages dropping since 2012. - meh, not drastic and it's consistent across the board for all codes. Clubs can wear this too.
  10. Introduction of a second Friday night game at an earlier time slot. - This is a John Grant thing. He blinked.
  11. Shoulder charges = banned. - No, needed to happen.
  12. Drop in viewership. - Rise in streaming?
  13. Handling of the Sharks Salary cap saga. - meh.
  14. The 7 tackle set - its a good rule.
  15. Handling of the Bulldogs mad Monday. - Lol, what did Todd Doo wrong here?

The debatable

1. The no fault stand down policy (conscious that this is probably split down the middle as to those in favour and those who aren't). - Yeah, it's the right move for the game.
  2. Introduction of a "challenge system" (of which the effects are TBC) - Let's wait and see.
I'm not a fan of Todd. I don't think he should have got the job in the first place. I find it hard to believe that, after a world wide search, he was the best and most qualified candidate. He was essentially appointed by the media. Just like Vlandys, who I have concerns about also with his conservative outlook and idea for the game.

I don't think Todd can take the game further, to the next level. And I don't think Vlandys even wants to.

Vlandys likes to shake things up. I don’t think you need to worry about him being too conservative going by what he has done in racing. Remains to be seen whether he can have the same success in a different sport but he won’t be scared to try new things.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So in 2018 there was a 3.5% increase in Rugby League in Australia:
  • 29% increase of female participation, with that number being double since 2015.
  • More than 100,000 participants in NSW for the first time.
  • NSWRL experienced growth of 5.5%
  • CRL experienced growth of 5.4%
  • Queensland experienced growth of 1.82%
  • WA had a 16.% growth.
Wake the f**k up and realise grassroots is more than just anecdotal evidence of one region. If you want direct action in that region, what would you suggest the NRL do? They push recruitment of referees, and have attempted to reduce amount of abuse at the local grounds.

Tbf most of those % growths were due to a small figure in the women’s game increasing. I doubt if you seperated men’s and women’s it would look so healthy.

2019 the new promised grass roots funding finally started with an additional $15million given to state leagues and development. Significantly less than the $20mill a year promised from 2018 but we can thank Grant caving in to the nrl clubs for that.

Spot On

Coach
I asked a question, it didn't require abuse in reply.

What you've pointed out though, is anecdotal stories from one group. Just down the coast, Group 3 had enough in it's kitty to drop some 50k+ on bringing an NRL Trial to Port. So it's obviously not the case everywhere.

You've said what the issues are, but you've not actually answered my question:

What needs to change, who needs to take charge and what do they need to be doing that isn't being done now?

Group 3 took a huge punt on the trial game and were lucky to get their money back. At last report, Wayne Bridge said, 'We should make a bit of money'.

Would not say they had enough in the kitty. Instead, they punted on covering all costs associated with the trial game as the were able to keep all proceeds from the gate and food and beverage. A crowd of 3000 was needed. Luckily it didn't rain or they would have been in deep shit.

Good on them for having a dig though.

Last edited:
I was in the Chairmans lounge with him for a Sharks game and spent 2/3s of the game at his table.
He was good company, knowledgeable about the game, polite and totally receptive to ideas. It was clear he genuinely cares about Rugby League and outside of the media persona seemed likable.

Random blokes somehow get his phone number sometimes and he regularly gets phone calls with some lunatic berating him about refereeing.

He has made mistakes and will continue to but he's not the incompetent he's been made out to be.

carcharias

Immortal
I was in the Chairmans lounge with him for a Sharks game and spent 2/3s of the game at his table.
He was good company, knowledgeable about the game, polite and totally receptive to ideas. It was clear he genuinely cares about Rugby League and outside of the media persona seemed likable.

Random blokes somehow get his phone number sometimes and he regularly gets phone calls with some lunatic berating him about refereeing.

He has made mistakes and will continue to but he's not the incompetent he's been made out to be.

did you ask him why the f**k did smiths missus get a diamond ring?

Thursday and Monday night games add further value to broadcasters. I don't see any problem with the nrl using a small percentage of this added revenue to purchase all the tickets for these games and hand them out for free.

Yes, they add value "to the broadcaster", not necessarily to the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ask that question of the people being paid to do that. Otherwise, why the f**k are they being paid????

What a weird view you have expecting people not employed by the game to fix its problems.

Why don't you fix it instead of asking others to do it???
WTF?

You're clearly well engaged with what's happening in those areas based on your anecdotal evidence previously provided.

I'm not asking you to fix it, I'm asking what you think needs to be done.

If you don't even have that answer, it kind of confirms my suspicion that you're just looking for shit to pin on Greenberg because it's the easy thing to do.

Spot On

Coach
WTF?

You're clearly well engaged with what's happening in those areas based on your anecdotal evidence previously provided.

I'm not asking you to fix it, I'm asking what you think needs to be done.

If you don't even have that answer, it kind of confirms my suspicion that you're just looking for shit to pin on Greenberg because it's the easy thing to do.

Christ you're full of it Timmah.

'Confirms my suspicions'... bloody tool.

Anecdotal evidence????

I stated facts about Gr 2 seniors/juniors. No anecdotal crap.

It is not my job to fix it. I do not get paid for that. It is the governing body that is responsible for it. Greenburg is at the head of that.

And if they don't have answers for your questions Timmah, then the state of grassroots/country footy certainly isn't going to get any better - no matter how many girls/women/touch footy/league tag and student clinic numbers are added to the 'stats'.

Wake up Todd and wake up Timmah.

75000 people in Coffs Harbour and the local club struggles to field junior sides.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Christ you're full of it Timmah.

'Confirms my suspicions'... bloody tool.

Anecdotal evidence????

I stated facts about Gr 2 seniors/juniors. No anecdotal crap.

It is not my job to fix it. I do not get paid for that. It is the governing body that is responsible for it. Greenburg is at the head of that.

And if they don't have answers for your questions Timmah, then the state of grassroots/country footy certainly isn't going to get any better - no matter how many girls/women/touch footy/league tag and student clinic numbers are added to the 'stats'.

Wake up Todd and wake up Timmah.

75000 people in Coffs Harbour and the local club struggles to field junior sides.
And predictably, you ignore the question and resort to ad-hom. :wave:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Frankly, he's been shit.

I can't think of one policy that has been introduced under his watch that I really like. The Bunker is handy but operated by the same old idiots, the no fault stand down is a controversy magnet (just like the NRL itself) but sadly necessary thanks to deadshit players, the 7 tackle set and the shoulder charge ban remain two of the worst rule changes the code has seen, we still haven't expanded despite being ready for it for years, the likes of Melbourne and the Roosters still command wayyy too much influence over the comp which translates to on field, the referees are still laughable and nothing ever gets done to fix it....The list goes on.

This is an administration that is obsessed with PR, to the point where the rest of the comp is badly neglected. Unlike the AFL, who couldn't give a donkey's shit what the Herald Sun writes about them, the NRL is completely subservient to the Sydney and Brisbane media, who unsurprisingly have nobody's interests in mind but their own and will sensationalize literally anything with the time honored "NRL star..." at the beginning of every negative headline.

While it certainly wouldn't fix all of his issues, Greenberg actually popping out a set of plums and standing up to them would be a great start to cleaning up his legacy, but as of right now, he has done a worse job than Gallop, and it makes Smith's tenure look half decent by comparison.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
He's a dude with a job in a public arena.

He's gonna get some shit right and gonna get some shit wrong and he will never please everyone.

Just like the next person will. And the person after that.

Rhyno

First Grade

Ooohhh you a big man * clap clap*

Springs09

Juniors
So in 2018 there was a 3.5% increase in Rugby League in Australia:
  • 29% increase of female participation, with that number being double since 2015.
  • More than 100,000 participants in NSW for the first time.
  • NSWRL experienced growth of 5.5%
  • CRL experienced growth of 5.4%
  • Queensland experienced growth of 1.82%
  • WA had a 16.% growth.
Wake the f**k up and realise grassroots is more than just anecdotal evidence of one region. If you want direct action in that region, what would you suggest the NRL do? They push recruitment of referees, and have attempted to reduce amount of abuse at the local grounds.

We started up a new comp In the old Group 17 area. Added about 150 players to the game. NRL did one thing - reimburse for referee payments at the end of the year. Did f**k all to get it up and running. The local referee development officer did 10x as much as anyone from NRL did. The NRL do f**k all, there’s plenty they could do - f**k I couldn’t even get a passing target off them for local kids after emailing and calling 5 different blokes. How hard is it to give clubs or kids some gear? Nah Barb needs a f**king ring instead

Vee

First Grade
I don't mind that the games are on Thursday night. Just need to be earlier. Like 6:30pm start time. But channel 9 would never go for that.
Unless the NRL held them to their contract, one of my points above.

As a subset of that, ensuring games start on time - FAIL!!!