What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORIGIN 2023

Too many islanders in the team!
racist wonder showzen GIF

Weaponhead

Coach
Freddy and Brandy made this NSW squad and extension of Penrith. It's effectively Penrith plus blow ins. There is a lack of an independent NSW identity. Queensland has a separate identity to any club.

They went all in on the Penrith combinations and the attack was still clunky as anything. Queensland brought a 20 year old into their spine and was seamless. Their starting spine is from 4 different clubs and it works because they are the best players available for those positions. Luke Lewis was spot on that NSW pick on reputation and spurious club combinations.

Chimp

Bench
It’s a big cultural difference…. The QLD players, to a man, are proud proud QLDers… you see the pride in representing ‘their people’ in every single interview, you can see it in their actions on the pitch - they never give up on a play, whether that be supporting a speedster on their own team who’ve made a break, or chasing back even when it looks a lost hope - their number 1 priority is showing their fans that they’re making an effort, and every now and then, they’ll get a lucky bounce or action that rewards them for being there…
And it goes further, the QLD public therefore get even more behind their team - it’s self fulfilling.
QLD unite behind their team and their coach - they all love Billy, they all love their entire QLD team.
When was the last time NSW had a coach that everyone believed in and got behind? When was the last time NSW had a team that everyone in NSW liked/supported? Fitler isn’t particularly liked or respected by many, Daley the same, Stuart the same, Bellamy the same, Gus the same… the Panthers boys are disliked by everyone apart from Panthers fans, Gal was hated by everyone (despite clearly being a blue through and through), Pearce, Hayne, Joey, the list goes on and on of players who many NSW fans really struggled to support. It might seem like a small thing, but QLD having that absolute devotion of their fans, gives them that extra reason to work on every single play. The only time they’ve deviated away from having individuals who the whole state supported was Kevvie and Paul Green, and it didn’t go
well - they’re now back to appointing only people who their state are unanimously supportive of.
I pose this question - who could NSW appoint as coach that would receive universal support? I don’t think there’s a single person.
QLD could pick any of Slater, Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Mal, Bennet etc etc and they’d be given absolute, unrelenting support.
Now look at the NSW team - which players do you see oozing passion for the jersey and the NSW people? I see lots of players whose priority is themselves and their mates first; their club and heritage 2nd, not even sure where their state eventually lands in their priorities.

R-15-3

Bench
Any chance in hell Wayne Bennet wants to coach NSW and show us what it’s all about.
It happens in other sports where the enemy come coach.

Yeah it really is a QLD thing is origin. I, and pretty much everyone I know who follows football doesn't give a rats arse if NSW lose its all about whatever club you support. We ridicule every selection and despise most of the players, the players who are terrific at club level suddenly look like plodders at origin level yet qld could pluck a bloke out of reserve grade who suddenly looks like a superstar.

Up the Sharks!

Weaponhead

Coach
It’s a big cultural difference…. The QLD players, to a man, are proud proud QLDers… you see the pride in representing ‘their people’ in every single interview, you can see it in their actions on the pitch - they never give up on a play, whether that be supporting a speedster on their own team who’ve made a break, or chasing back even when it looks a lost hope - their number 1 priority is showing their fans that they’re making an effort, and every now and then, they’ll get a lucky bounce or action that rewards them for being there…
And it goes further, the QLD public therefore get even more behind their team - it’s self fulfilling.
QLD unite behind their team and their coach - they all love Billy, they all love their entire QLD team.
When was the last time NSW had a coach that everyone believed in and got behind? When was the last time NSW had a team that everyone in NSW liked/supported? Fitler isn’t particularly liked or respected by many, Daley the same, Stuart the same, Bellamy the same, Gus the same… the Panthers boys are disliked by everyone apart from Panthers fans, Gal was hated by everyone (despite clearly being a blue through and through), Pearce, Hayne, Joey, the list goes on and on of players who many NSW fans really struggled to support. It might seem like a small thing, but QLD having that absolute devotion of their fans, gives them that extra reason to work on every single play. The only time they’ve deviated away from having individuals who the whole state supported was Kevvie and Paul Green, and it didn’t go
well - they’re now back to appointing only people who their state are unanimously supportive of.
I pose this question - who could NSW appoint as coach that would receive universal support? I don’t think there’s a single person.
QLD could pick any of Slater, Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Mal, Bennet etc etc and they’d be given absolute, unrelenting support.
Now look at the NSW team - which players do you see oozing passion for the jersey and the NSW people? I see lots of players whose priority is themselves and their mates first; their club and heritage 2nd, not even sure where their state eventually lands in their priorities.
Good post.

The player who burned the most from losing Origin 1 was Hynes and he was labelled fragile and dumped. Luai couldn't give a shit. Pockets the cash and treats it like an exhibition game.

fizman

Bench
It is actually quite difficult to pick a NSW team - this is what I have come up with for game 3.

1. Will Kennedy
2. Jason Saab
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Campbell Graham
5. Brian To'o
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds (C)
8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Reece Robson
10. Payne Haas
11. Jack Bird
12. Shaun Lane
13. Cameron Murray

14. Matt Burton
15. Junior Paulo
16. Liam Martin
17. Jordan McLean

DJDL

Bench
1. If Fittler really told the truth when he claimed that he told Cook pre-game that he might have to play centre, he should've selected centres without injury clouds over their heads. Mitchell was never going to be ready in time and Turbo is broken.

Not to mention Cam Murray with a groin injury and Liam Martin coming off Cat 1 HIA.

Neither could train with the team, and they couldn’t play Murray at centre because they were worried about his groin.

Why pick him then?
It just beggars belief.

Yeah it really is a QLD thing is origin. I, and pretty much everyone I know who follows football doesn't give a rats arse if NSW lose its all about whatever club you support. We ridicule every selection and despise most of the players, the players who are terrific at club level suddenly look like plodders at origin level yet qld could pluck a bloke out of reserve grade who suddenly looks like a superstar.

Up the Sharks!
This is so true when I lived in Sydney years back.
When NSW lost you would blame the player and team he came from.
You would hope players from your own team didn't make origin as wouldn't have to be stood down, or risk of injury.
When I moved to QLd people put the state first.
Even if the lost the series but won the third game that was the one that counted.
They live for origin, they would take origin every year over there club winning Premiership.
In NSW it's club first

Frenzy.

Immortal

Up the Sharks!
Yep and the blue is why the red is a thing. There were no Qld teams in 1980 when SOO emerged. There was plenty of NSW arrogance though. When Qld won and became a thing in interstate footy the culture was set. Qld embraced it and it became bigger than life. NSW remained arrogant and stupid.

Also, light blue, sky blue, whatever you wanna call it is a losing colour. Sharks and NSW both win minimally in this pastel shit.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Not to mention Cam Murray with a groin injury and Liam Martin coming off Cat 1 HIA.

Neither could train with the team, and they couldn’t play Murray at centre because they were worried about his groin.

Why pick him then?
It just beggars belief.
I long been thinking Brandy has CTE. I am now convinced Freddy has an advanced case. Bedsy is invisible, if he's still even involved and then there's Pinger Johns

Going to be a laugh if they bring in the Pinger/Smutty combo. HAHAHAHA

DJDL

Bench
I long been thinking Brandy has CTE. I am now convinced Freddy has an advanced case. Bedsy is invisible, if he's still even involved and then there's Pinger Johns

Going to be a laugh if they bring in the Pinger/Smutty combo. HAHAHAHA

Yes I've noticed you can't seem to mention Brandy without making a reference to CTE.
Sad if it's the case. I really liked him as a player.
As an adviser to NSW Blues? Not so much.

Not sure on Freddy, with CTE. He's always spoken like he was punch drunk as far as I can remember.

Bedsy's a weird one. You're right about him being invisible. God knows what he brings to the setup.

As for Pinger and Smutty.
FMD, what a combo.

Smutty, I could maybe live with.
But Pinger?

If you've shown more than a passing interest in his weekly columns and predictions on how the 'game of the week' will be won and lost, you'll know just how far off the mark he is, more often than not.
Tremendous player back in the day. But who says that translates to coaching ability?
I also can't for the life of me think of a half back he's worked with showing anything much in the way of improvement.

At any rate, the Blues setup seems to be a shambles and I really don't know who could be appointed to turn it around.
The cupboard looks mighty bare.

Frenzy.

Immortal
It is actually quite difficult to pick a NSW team - this is what I have come up with for game 3.

1. Will Kennedy
2. Jason Saab
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Campbell Graham
5. Brian To'o
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds (C)
8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Reece Robson
10. Payne Haas
11. Jack Bird
12. Shaun Lane
13. Cameron Murray

14. Matt Burton
15. Junior Paulo
16. Liam Martin
17. Jordan McLean
Do you know who, if any, of these dudes were in camp this year or last? Even 2021?

Does anyone know?

Just reading Sifa in line for a call up (if burton gets suspended). Will probably be the scapegoat again if they lose, and how's burton even in the conversation to be in the team or play centre now.

bluefox68

Staff member
Just reading Sifa in line for a call up (if burton gets suspended). Will probably be the scapegoat again if they lose, and how's burton even in the conversation to be in the team or play centre now.
Sifa for EIGHTY MINUTES is a good selection…

Special K

Coach
Picking Luai again is everything that wrong with Freddy summed up in one.

edit - just saw he wants Burton. FMD. Picking a bloke out of position who just got dusted 66-0 with a f**k ton of tries through his shoulder. Spare me

Quigs

Immortal
Why be surprised 'K', Freddy is a far can idiot of a coach.

It has now be a proven fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJ

Latest posts