What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

The Great Dane

First Grade
Brisbane itself isn't onservative. The Joh Bjelke Peterson days are long gone and Brisbane has been one of the strongest Greens seats in recent times. I would say Sydney is more politically conservative than Brisbane these days. I really don't want to take sides with that Logan nutbag but QLD is politically and economically the most diverse state in the country, easily. The labour party started in QLD, most people don't even know this. The regions are still quite conversative and backwards and you get characters like Bob Katter making their way into power. SEQLD isn't any more backwards or bogan than any other capital. I've read countless posts on social media from Perth folks complaining about unwanted aboriginals in the inner city too btw
Unlike most of the people in this stupid and totally irrelevant argument, I've actually travelled extensively and spent significant amounts of time in most of the major cities in the country (Hobart being the exception) over a period of decades. As such I can categorically state that this isn't true lol.

Brisbane, and Queensland more generally if you want to talk about states instead of capitals, is easily the most backward place in the country with any real political or cultural power, with the debatable exception of Darwin. The Darwin/NT form of boganess is a slightly different animal though, more innocent and natural if you will, which makes it difficult to compare, and Brisbane/SEQ has only liberalised over the past 30ish years because of a heavy influx of migrants from the southern states, particularly Victoria.

If you were going to make a comparison to the USA then SEQ would be Australia's equivalent to Florida, and Brisbane would be like Jacksonville and the GC like Orlando.

MugaB

Coach
Unlike most of the people in this stupid and totally irrelevant argument, I've actually travelled extensively and spent significant amounts of time in most of the major cities in the country (Hobart being the exception) over a period of decades. As such I can categorically state that this isn't true lol.

Brisbane, and Queensland more generally if you want to talk about states instead of capitals, is easily the most backward place in the country with any real political or cultural power, with the debatable exception of Darwin. The Darwin/NT form of boganess is a slightly different animal though, more innocent and natural if you will, which makes it difficult to compare, and Brisbane/SEQ has only liberalised over the past 30ish years because of a heavy influx of migrants from the southern states, particularly Victoria.

If you were going to make a comparison to the USA then SEQ would be Australia's equivalent to Florida, and Brisbane would be like Jacksonville and the GC like Orlando.
Bogan Logan!videotogif_2022.12.24_00.50.09.gif

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

So because a particular place isn't setup to your personal preferences it's backward?

Depending on your definition of liberalised, why is that particularly good or bad and not just how you want tonsee the place. Homogenisation might sound like a good idea but in reality it's incredibly boring

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

no i agree, Brisbane has only really seen change in the last 25-30 years and its well behind Sydney and Melbourne in terms of being a multicultural, cosmopolitan city. However, Brisbane isn't full of redneck, racist bogans like some people down south think. Sure some areas have those types but so do some areas in Melbourne and Sydney... The Greens have recently held seats in Ryan and Griffith, which are inner Brisbane.

Another thing about QLD is that many towns actually live with indigenous communities with over 30% of the countries indigenous population living in QLD. The only place you will see an indigenous person in Victoria is in a museum or getting booed on the AFL field (jk)

I think most places in the developed world are as “culturally advanced” as Brisbane or even more so. I think you need to travel more.

In any case, not one of those things highlighted (and everything outside of largest arts precinct or that they have hosted more events is just an opinion) has any correlation to whether a populace is more socially conservative or more socially liberal; unless the meaning of those terms have changed.

I’ll say that the ban on gaming machines is conservative; however, if you want to argue what is more conservative, I’d say a history of long term populist premiers, a unicameral parliament and a society that has given birth to Pauline Hanson, Joh Bjelke Petersen and Bob Katter suggest a slightly greater socially conservative bent than others in Australia
Doesn't the inner suburbs of Brisbane have three Green MPs in Federal Parliament?

The Greens have 2 State MPs from inner Brisbane:

Logan is one of Australia's most multicultural cities. Definitely moretmulticul than Canberra, Adelaide and Perth.

Cr Power said Council’s advanced accreditation level meant it was successfully implementing initiatives and policies to support the city’s 234 different multicultural communities.

“We are proud to be one of the most culturally diverse areas in Australia and look forward to liaising with Welcoming Cities and other key stakeholders to build further on our work in this area,” Cr Power said.

Welcoming Cities CEO Aleem Ali said Logan City Council was the third council in Australia to reach the advanced accreditation level.

“I especially congratulate them for becoming the first council accredited in Queensland as a Welcoming City,” Mr Ali said.

“The assessors were impressed by the examples of the city’s welcoming efforts and Welcoming Australia recognises and commends Council’s role in facilitating and supporting this work.

“The city's accreditation at an advanced level positions Logan as a national leader and celebrates the collective contribution from diverse community stakeholders in fostering economic, social and cultural inclusion for all residents."

The City of Logan is home to an increasingly diverse population.

The latest (2021) data figures show approximately 27.9 per cent of the city’s 360,000 population, or 96,000 residents, were born overseas.

Council became the 70th Australian Local Government to join Welcoming Cities last year.

The Welcoming Cities network represents 10 million residents across Australia.

Anyone who mocks Logan is basically attacking multiculturalism.

MugaB

Coach
Logan is one of Australia's most multicultural cities. Definitely moretmulticul than Canberra, Adelaide and Perth.

Cr Power said Council’s advanced accreditation level meant it was successfully implementing initiatives and policies to support the city’s 234 different multicultural communities.

“We are proud to be one of the most culturally diverse areas in Australia and look forward to liaising with Welcoming Cities and other key stakeholders to build further on our work in this area,” Cr Power said.

Welcoming Cities CEO Aleem Ali said Logan City Council was the third council in Australia to reach the advanced accreditation level.

“I especially congratulate them for becoming the first council accredited in Queensland as a Welcoming City,” Mr Ali said.

“The assessors were impressed by the examples of the city’s welcoming efforts and Welcoming Australia recognises and commends Council’s role in facilitating and supporting this work.

“The city's accreditation at an advanced level positions Logan as a national leader and celebrates the collective contribution from diverse community stakeholders in fostering economic, social and cultural inclusion for all residents."

The City of Logan is home to an increasingly diverse population.

The latest (2021) data figures show approximately 27.9 per cent of the city’s 360,000 population, or 96,000 residents, were born overseas.

Council became the 70th Australian Local Government to join Welcoming Cities last year.

The Welcoming Cities network represents 10 million residents across Australia.

Anyone who mocks Logan is basically attacking multiculturalism.
Screenshot_20230518-072940_Gallery.jpg

MugaB

Coach
@Colk said we're the most "socially backward" state in the country. Having more Greens MPs in Brisbane than any other capital city would suggest be doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'm not a Greens voter, FWIW. I think they're insane.
Add all those greens, hanson and bob katter
Fmd insanity state indeed

Colk

First Grade
@Colk said we're the most "socially backward" state in the country. Having more Greens MPs in Brisbane than any other capital city would suggest be doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'm not a Greens voter, FWIW. I think they're insane.

Whoopee you have some liberally minded people in Brisbane. In most cities you will find liberals, particularly in the inner sanctums of those cities - they tend to be the bourgeoisie class of highly educated and high income persons.

I have travelled across the country mate and Queenslanders are pretty much the most conservative in the country.

Wb1234

Referee
Whoopee you have some liberally minded people in Brisbane. In most cities you will find liberals, particularly in the inner sanctums of those cities - they tend to be the bourgeoisie class of highly educated and high income persons.

I have travelled across the country mate and Queenslanders are pretty much the most conservative in the country.
And Victoria has the most bleeding heart liberals / borderline commies

Latest posts