What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moderators

Simo

First Grade
And it was this over reaction from matto that brought many of the regulars here, and most stayed.

I recall many of the same names over at the old (something like) politics and current affairs board on rleague.......although Melon has undergone the most dramatic change!

Hey Willow can you give an example of what type of legal threats you would get? Is it football stars taking offence to posts about them? What could another forum accuse you of that could be a legal threat?

The behind the scenes running of a large website like this is fascinating (to me who leeches off all your hard work yet commits none myself.....)

And what the hell millers is evil.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Just curious for the thoughts of all of the mods - at what point does it become clear that a moderator has gone 'power hungry' for wont of a better term.

The mod in question knows who he is (as I'm sure most do).

I mean, I'm amused by the whole thing but I have to ask before the time comes when this becomes a major issue.

I'll be interested to see if any other mids get to this before the mod in question deletes it ...

:crazy:

Probably just about all of them on this site I reckon.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
It is mostly a myth.

The fable makers blamed testy Easts supporters for ringing up Hadley, but they were ringing about a news article on the main page of rleague, not the forums. The offending article was a tongue-in-cheek piece about Roosters and the salary cap - badly written, but still satire.

In basic terms, the rleague forums, run by matto, were shut down because they had had enough.

They had some dodgy anti-Roosters posts and anti-Gallop posts, but nothing that couldn't be moderated. It was this lack of moderation that was perhaps the real problem. I imagine it became unmanageable in the end, and pulling the plug seemed like the easy option.

The response from Canterbury supporter matto was to shut down the entire rleague forums (not the main news site) and delete ALL the posts.

It is perhaps a coincidence that all this was going on in the wake of Bulldogs being stripped of their 37 points after they were found guilty of cheating the cap. Emotions were riding high.

But it wasn't just rleague. It's often forgotten that quite a few club forums shut down around the same time.

People kept pointing to possible legal action being the reason, but I kept hearing that it was more of an excuse for websites to rid themselves of these high maintenance forums. At the time of the shutdowns, in 2003, I thought it was just a case of forums being on the nose.

And they can be hard work. From a website's owner point of view, it easy to see how people might conclude that any returns from forums are far outweighed by the costs involved.

LU has also received a few legal threats.

Not long afterwards, a few Easts supporters on the fringe, thinking they'd brought down rleague, were in high enough spirits to try the same on LeagueUnlimited.

As you can see, LeagueUnlimited never shut down.

We still do get the occasional legal threat - ironically, a representative from rleague has made a couple of silly legal threats against LU - but all have been easily sorted out.

I have no doubt that some forums felt under threat in 2003. But given the overeactions, it does seem that the main players just needed to step back, and at least one forum owner just needed a holiday.

And millers is evil.
But one day LU will get stuck!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol at the sulk.

Yep, it's a threat. Not for the first time.

KR, would you like to see LU go down the tube? And pray tell, how are you going to do it?

millersnose

Post Whore
i am honestly not sure if KR meant that as threat but if he did i would like to see him banned as LU is probably my favorite internet site and i would advocate all threats to it eliminated

Willow

Assistant Moderator
KR, no more silly PMs to me. If you want to issue anymore personal threats, do it in the open so we can ban you good and proper. Otherwise you come across as the coward, which you are.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
What's stopping you big man?
I'm just comparing the size of our email addresses. Yours is smaller.

Don't worry, you'll be banned soon enough. In the meantime, just entertain us a little longer.

Yeah I know.... we're bad people here.