What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

RedVfaithful

Juniors
Qld by 50

NSW backline is all attack and no defence

2 hayne
3 jennings
4 lyon
5 mcmanus

my backline would be

2 hayne
3 jennigs
4 cooper
5 monagham

this backline has a good variety of defnece, attack and catchin those high balls.

why would they pick mcmanus monagham and morris should be infront of him

Fibroman

First Grade
NSW selectors were the next in the queue when they were handing out down syndrome. A disgraceful team. Queensland will win by 50+

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Qld by 50

NSW backline is all attack and no defence

2 hayne
3 jennings
4 lyon
5 mcmanus

my backline would be

2 hayne
3 jennigs
4 cooper
5 monagham

this backline has a good variety of defnece, attack and catchin those high balls.

why would they pick mcmanus monagham and morris should be infront of him
Lyon and Mcmanus are both good defenders.
Jennings not so good. I am confused.

caylo

Bench
It was always going to be a choice between Jennings and Cooper, and I though Cooper might just get the nod but they went with the attacking machine and good on them. Hayne and McManus are both good defencive winger but I still think Morris should have got the job. Gallen(injury) and Stewart(suspension) look to be out of the team, and I would Imagine Laffranchi will come in (should of been there over stewart anyway) and someone else (Ryan, Hindy, Highington) for the bench with Creigh coming into the starting side.

adamkungl

Immortal
Best team i've seen in years. No out of form nuffies.
Personally I would have picked
Mullen instead of Campese
Anyone instead of Gallen
Lewis instead of Wing
Laffranchi instead of Stewart

but I can tolerate them I guess. Except Gallen

no name

Coach
McManus = 2009 version of Turner.
Will be found out after one game and will never play Origin again.

abpanther

Staff member
I know Wing has great utility value and impact off the bench, but my issue with his selection is that it ain't based on form, Lewis is in career best form at the moment, Wing was maybe 3 seasons ago.

I don't mind the team, although I would prefer Monaghan over McManus and shocked that Laffranchi aint there

TimmyB

Juniors
Wing is a frustrating choice, clearly just there in case of injureis.

If there are no injuries, Wing will come on for Farah. Farah is an 80 minute player, there's no need to replace him. NSW will be weaker with a fresh Wing at dummy half than if Farah stayed out there. If there were no injuries and Lewis was on the bench, he could come on for a second rower - a change that will be made anyway.

So sick of reserve dummy halves being picked for NSW. Last year it was Gidley, now it's Wing.

aussies1st

Staff member
Good to see Cregah picked, been very good for the Dragons.
Campo provides the x-factor in the halves that NSW have been missing, hopefully he brings his form from last season.
McManus is a safe choice and I can see him getting the job done but wouldn't have minded Morris being picked to give a more even match up in the backs.

Last edited:

TimmyB

Juniors
I think it's a really good 1, 6, 7, 9. Neither of Wallace or Campese are hugely creative players in the style of a Thurston or Prince. Not saying they don't create tries - they clearly do - but more that they both play quite controlled games. I think that matches up well with Farah who's probably a little more flashy and likely to try the less orthodox plays. Then Gidley balances it out, not going to create and get in the way of the ball players, but is the best running fullback in the game.

The NSW forwards will more than match the QLD pack. Provided the 3/4s can hold off QLD, I've got no doubts we can do this.

macavity

Referee
Jimmy Mac had his worst game probably ever tonight

other than that he has been bloody good

still wish he had not been picked though - I don't like Knights being picked (purely selfish).

Laffranchi not there is no big loss. He is a workhorse player without the stats to back it up.

Congrats Captain Kurt - it so should be a rule that NSW captain has to be a Knight.

Apey

Staff member
McManus is very lucky tonights game isn't taken into account. If Monaghan is in his position tonight, he has a hat-trick already. McManus has 3 dropped balls instead.

3 more than you.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Wing is a frustrating choice, clearly just there in case of injureis.

If there are no injuries, Wing will come on for Farah. Farah is an 80 minute player, there's no need to replace him. NSW will be weaker with a fresh Wing at dummy half than if Farah stayed out there. If there were no injuries and Lewis was on the bench, he could come on for a second rower - a change that will be made anyway.

So sick of reserve dummy halves being picked for NSW. Last year it was Gidley, now it's Wing.

Exactly

Daley said Wing was picked in case there is an injury, and Wing can cover more positions.

What if there is no injury to Farah or the halves?
Why take Farah off Farah

I would prefer Lewis over Wing

Latest posts