What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

Big Pete

Referee
Laffranchi has been woeful this season, if I was a Blues fan I'd be glad he wasn't selected.

Basically the side I had except I had Luke Lewis as my Utility and Trent Waterhouse on the bench, Glenn Stewart in the starting side.

Sleep

Juniors
Waterhouse had been in career best form this year. But he saved his worst for last and then got injured which isn't a good lasting impression. I'd prefer him over Creagh but both will do the job and play a similar style.

Monaghan should of gotten in over McManus but hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

miccle

Bench
Honestly, it's a bloody good team which is easily capable of winning this series.

I'd still have Mullen over Campese at 5/8 for the very best side possible, but cannot fault it aside from that.

The thing that really cruelled the Blues over the past two years, IMO, is the selectors picking guys on reputation and form from years ago. This year, they have stood up and selected a team with fresh faces, enthusiasm and bloody good recent form. Lyon, Jennings and Hayne in particular are three of the most in-form players in the competition, and there are no deadweights like Mason in the forward pack who look good on paper, but nowhere else.

IMO the selectors have done a bloody good job, and looking at that team, as a Queenslander, I'm sh*t scared about our chances. Seriously.

Going to be a cracking series.

Shorty

Staff member
^Ditto.
Only thing I question is the addition of McManus as opposed to keeping the same wingers as last year...or Monoghan.
NSW has struggled somewhat because they keep changing teams so much that they struggle to gel in the quick amount of time.
I'm sure it won't matter too much though.

Mate Kite has never coped with the step up to Origin level. He is the biggest myth to ever pull on a blues jumper.

Tell me one game you can remember him having a blinder or even playing a solid game at Origin level? Seriously have a think.

At least Bailey has had some blinders at Orgin level, albeit quite a few years back.

I still rate Bailey, but Kite simply shouldn't be there. I dare say Manly fans might even admit that.
Exxaacccttlyyyy..this plodder takes 3 steps with the ball and down he goes..bailey at least tries something different.

ozjet1

kudos to Bellamy for getting rid of the deadwood which wasnt doing the job.

but IMO, this team wont do the job.

it's imperative to have good players at FB, Halves, and the front row.

Slater vs Gidley
Lockyer/Thurston vs Campese/Wallace
Smith vs Farah
Price/Civoneciva vs Kite/Bailey

the Blues still look extremely deficient in the halves.

as usual though, it all begins in the forwards. Kite & Bailey need to get on top of the QLD warhorses. this is where NSW have been losing it in the last 3 years. and as people have mentioned, i reckon Bellamy has already made this job harder by selecting Kite. has had several chances, yet has never inspired at this level.

and what's the starting price for Gallen giving away at least 3 penalties, if he runs on. i've never been able to figure out the selectors love for this guy.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Genarally not a bad team however a few things I can't understand:

The lack of size in the backrow. I would a had Laffranchi in the starting team with monsters like Thaiday and Myles they need size to combat.

How can Lewis, Watwough, Laffranchi, Monaghan (on stand by for Boyd) can be good enough for oz and not for NSW?

Lewis is coming 1st in Dally M points can play anywhere in the team.

Monaghan has been going any worse then McManus can match Folau in the air.

Laffranchi and Watmough aren't playing too bad and have aggression required to belt the QLD forwards.

Glenn Stewart is a Ball playing forward as a result prob wont have an impact on the bench rotate him and Creagh and it would make more sense.

Jason Maher

Immortal
A very good side. Plenty of pace in the back 5, and ball-playing ability in Gidley, Lyon, and Hayne to take a bit of pressure off the halves. Campese played his way back into form on the weekend, and there weren't many other options. Soward had the form but the perception that he can't tackle persists (never seems to worry Queensland that Lockyer is one of the worst defenders in the comp), so he was never going to get selected. Wallace has been the best halfback all season (Thurston only came good in the Test) and thoroughly deserves his spot, though I would not have complained if Mullen had been picked. McManus is a bolter, though his form until last night certainly warrants his place. He'll bounce back. Jennings and Lyon are rightly there on form.

The forward pack is great and will match Queensland. Kite is the weakest link, but with Poore and Weyman coming off the bench I'm not too worried. I wouldn't personally have picked Gallen, but he was always an automatic selection, so it is a waste of time worrying about it. Creagh and O'Donnell are the form back-rowers in the comp, on top of being better players than Watmough (a useless hack), Stewart, and Laffranchi anyway. They are both stinging defenders and will cause anything in marron running at them plenty of pain. Lewis and Waterhouse are unlucky, though the former will probably get a go due to the clouds over Gallen and Stewart. Craig Wing I'm a bit iffy over, but he has done the job in the past and is every bit an Origin player. Robbie Farah picks himself. He is easily the best hooker in NSW.

Liam

Juniors
1. Hayne
2. Lawrence
3. Jennings
4. Cooper
5. B. Morris
6. Wing
7. Mullen
8. Bailey (c)
9. Farah
10. Weyman