What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team V Warriors - Gidley Rested

CJG 182

Juniors
Now I've hated Lulia with the best, but his recent form doesn't really warrant dropping IMO

League_God

Juniors
wtf!?
why the f**k hasnt vuna been in fg since the game v roosters!?
he has to be picked. he should of been there v the eels. vuna to centre i say.
last week we lost simply because of our lack of enthusiasm, he is easily our most enthusiastic player so pick him ahead of wes. vuna is the future, its time to put him at centre and stick with him there. our best backline would be

1.kurt
2.mcmanus
3.vuna
4.sau
5.aku

please smithy. pick vuna

Karmawave

Bench
Now I've hated Lulia with the best, but his recent form doesn't really warrant dropping IMO

What form? The form of a bloke playing to his potential - the peak form of a borderline at best first grader?

He was a discard from the Dragons, and he could be easily discarded from this club without being missed.

He is an adequate fill in at best.

Where would he get a game if he wasn't playing at the Knights?

Maybe the local league.

Serc

First Grade
Lulia has been pretty useful in recent weeks (even though we've lost some games) along with guys like Karawana etc. If they do whats asked of them as part of the whole team game plan, and we win, they've done their job, and thats good enough for me.

League god - I bet Vuna hasn't been playing because he's a bit overweight still. Love to see him get another run though :D

I feel much more confident with Rogers back he seems to suit Mullen a lot more then Scotty, out of curiousity has any one got our percentages with both partnering Mullen.

Karmawave

Bench
I feel much more confident with Rogers back he seems to suit Mullen a lot more then Scotty, out of curiousity has any one got our percentages with both partnering Mullen.

Hard to figure it out really, because all 3 have been named at various times and Dureau has spent alot of time on the bench when Mullen came off it in the 20th minute.

Definitely played our best games this season attacking wise with Rogers and Mullen in the 6/7 without question. Though Dureau has done his job when asked. Average of course, but did his job.

He isn't the long term answer Mr Rogers, but he'll do for now.

Last edited:

Pika

Bench
Doogs said he was right to play in the halftime interview the other day.

Time to name our top side.

And for the record, Joel Edwards is a mile better player than Tovo.

Have you watched any Real NRL this year?

Edwards has been average, Tovo outstanding.

I think in the next few years Edwards may realise his potential and be a better player than Tovo, but on current form, there is daylight between Tovo and Edwards.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Round 1 v Titans - Rogers/Mullen - Loss 34-20
Round 2 v Sharks - Mullen/Dureau - Win 24-12
Round 3 v Rabbits - Rogers/Dureau - Loss 22-12
Round 4 v Manly - Rogers/Dureau/Mullen - Win 26-12
Round 5 v Warriors - Rogers/Dureau/Mullen - Win 24-22
Round 6 v Dragons - Rogers/Mullen - Win 24-18
Round 7 v Tigers - Rogers/Mullen - Loss 26-24
Round 8 v Broncos - Mullen/Dureau - Win 28-12
Round 9 v Titans - Rogers/Dureau/Mullen - Win 23-18
Round 10 v Roosters - Rogers/Mullen - Win 38-6
Round 11 v Cowboys - Rogers/Mullen - Loss 36-10
Round 12 v Bulldogs - Mullen/Dureau - Win 22-14
Round 13 v Eels - Mullen/Dureau - Loss 20-18

So to take purely the games where it's either been Rogers/Mullen or Mullen/Dureau and not taking into consideration where all three have been used, we've won three and lost one at an average score of 23-16 with Mullen/Dureau. Winning percentage = 75%.

With Rogers/Mullen we've won two and lost three at an average score of 23 points for and 24 points against. Winning percentage = 40%

Interesting, wouldn't you say?

Rolla

Juniors
What form? The form of a bloke playing to his potential - the peak form of a borderline at best first grader?

He was a discard from the Dragons, and he could be easily discarded from this club without being missed.

He is an adequate fill in at best.

Where would he get a game if he wasn't playing at the Knights?

Maybe the local league.

Agreed mate.
If by people saying he has done the job required they mean not making too many mistakes, and being solid in defence (without being brilliant) than yes they are right..... but why settle for that when we have players available that have the ability to exceed mediocracy??

Lulia has a good game for him and it's only average, similar to marv, and when this happens im happy cos they have filled in adequately. But players like this (at this stage in their careers) are only capable of average displays at best....which means they can only deliver an average display, or a below par display... which isnt nearly good enough for first grade.

So in reply to somebody saying his form doesnt warrant dropping, well i think the fact that he is in form and still average warrants him being dropped even more. At the moment his best isnt good enough.

BG

Juniors
I guess its understandable, that discards from other clubs, eventually play football at the standard which was the reason why they were discards from other clubs.

You do love to twist arguments to suit your agenda don't you?

Your usual complaint is that Smith buys too many fringe players for depth; whereas you would throw a hefty bag of cash at, say, an ace halfback. So, assume we had that marquee half instead of Dureau on Sunday? Due to the size of his paycheck, we would have had utter rubbish filling in for the six or seven first-graders who were unavailable. Your recruit would have wanted to play like Joey, Sterling and Thurston rolled into one to keep us competitive. Then there's the fact that the glamour half could just as easily have been injured mid-game as Dureau, and we would have been left with a nothing team that would have struggled to avoid being touched up by thirty.

You can't have it both ways.

CJG 182

Juniors
Hmm nice stats JD the only game we lost in the Mullen/Dureau combination is one where Dureau got injured early on in the piece.

I'm sure there will be someone... who will bend and twist the stats to paint Rogers as superman again..

Pumba

First Grade
GIDLEY TO BE RESTED

Further to this morning’s Newcastle Knights Media Conference, Captain Kurt Gidley has been withdrawn from Friday night’s game against the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium.

Gidley will be rested as he is experiencing tight calf muscles.

Knights Coaching Staff have decided against playing Gidley for the third time in 10 days due to the risk of muscle tear.

Gidley will be replaced by Shannon McDonnell.

There are no other injury concerns – all other players named in Tuesday’s squad are fit and will travel.

Knights Media Release

Karmawave

Bench

Your usual complaint is that Smith buys too many fringe players for depth; whereas you would throw a hefty bag of cash at, say, an ace halfback. So, assume we had that marquee half instead of Dureau on Sunday? Due to the size of his paycheck, we would have had utter rubbish filling in for the six or seven first-graders who were unavailable. Your recruit would have wanted to play like Joey, Sterling and Thurston rolled into one to keep us competitive. Then there's the fact that the glamour half could just as easily have been injured mid-game as Dureau, and we would have been left with a nothing team that would have struggled to avoid being touched up by thirty.

What I want, is the Newcastle Knights to SERIOUSLY attempt to sign Ben Hunt from the Broncos.

He could be our halfback for the next 10-12 years.

Rolla

Juniors

You could be right BG but in this case i thought Karma was talking about putting lulia in firstgrade when he should be a fill in. When we have much better players available. Not so much whether or not he is valueable to have on our payroll or as part of the squad. im sure if he was in there and was our only option there would not be an issue.

And it was in reply to somebody saying his form didnt warrant him being dropped, which is certainly debatable.

However perhaps i mis read and need to re read his post.

Im sure il get roasted over this. And dont get me wrong he sh*ts me at times too. But as someone relatively new to the forum, the 'agendas' a lot of the posters have in here against karma are getting just as tiring and old as the 'agendas' he has. People need to learn to let things slide that bother them sometimes.

perverse

Referee
agreed Rolla. attack the topic, not the person.

i've had the odd tanty at karma... but generally only after 5 or 10 pages of banter. sure, he gives me the sh*ts sometimes... but he's a poster that i enjoy reading. keeps me coming back. every yin needs a yang... and karma just seems to enjoy being everyones yang... so to speak.

as for the topic and new development re: gidley... tbh i'd prefer to lose again on friday without gids than to play him and have him injured for 4 - 6 weeks. i think it's fair enough resting him.