What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cnetral Coast Bears - the Momentum Builds and Builds

Red Bear

Referee
Ive gone on record numerous times as saying it wasnt Manly's fault that we had our demise. We should never have merged with them, was never going to work.

It was much more stupid player signings/inflation of wages due to stupour league/a bit of rotton luck with the weather and poor construction essentially f**king our move right up/the NRL's change of mind regarding the CC being a regional area(the main reason we were moving, because our ground apparently didnt fit the citeria, the ground that hosted NRL games a few years later)/Trying to move in the one year we had to ensure everything was sweet financially - If we had said we'll spend this season at North Sydney and be the CC Bears from 2000 we probably would've been fine.

Administrators putting us into a merger with Manly that no one wanted to happen didnt help much, but the damage was long done before that.

SEAT 1A

Bench
It great to see the Bears rejoin the NRL based in the CC. It seems that the CC are happy for a club to be relocated and be welcomed as their own. It seems the area has appropriate corporate support the club and should have no problems to survive long term. I would hope to see some games played at North Sydney.

From what I've seen on TV, Bluetongue looks like a good ground to watch league live and a good size to add a home town atmosphere for the locals and not to far away for the away teams supports to travel.

siv

First Grade
CC Bears - is the best fit for RL - the CC - and the North Shore of Sydney

1 - It is a direct attack on the AFL by hitting the base of Swans fans who left RL during the SL war
2 - There is a strong affiliate with teh Bears on the CC - who helped build Gosford stadium
3 - The coprorate dollars of North Sydney / North Shore will be associated with teh Bears. While they won't be as strong with a pur CC bid

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The plan as I understand it with the Bears link is to play 11 matches at Bluetongue and the 12th match as part of Heritage Round at North Sydney Oval vs either Souths or Manly.

I dont just blame Super League for the demise of the Mighty Bears, i also lay a bit of blame on the grubs from Manly. That abomination of a team the Northern Eagles was what destroyed us. And thats what Manly wanted.

Super League, Manly. It's always everyone else's fault but the Bears. Just a small amount of accountability from Bears fans about their previous administrators would be good.

Oh, and don't forget the bad weather which held up construction at Bluetounge, that's what really screwed you guys over. :roll:

mave, don't be blinded by your maroon love. Manly played an important part in the Bears being no more. While they may have dug their own grave, Manly only too happily buried them in it.

LESStar58

Referee
The Bears got the raw prawn in 1999. No doubt. They were the team that put their hands up to relocate which is what the NRL wanted and the delays with Bluetongue bought them undone.

Having said that, paying overs for some of their stars during the Super LEague war might have hindered them a bit.

Now Gallop talks up a current team relocating to Gosford. We obviously want a presense there but it's a matter of who it will be... maybe let the Bears in if the Knights fall over?

lturner

Juniors
The Central Coast has about the same size population as Woollongong, so if they can't sustain a whole team, why will the CC be any more successful?

It's only just big enough to be considered for a side, and most people there probably already support another side.

Another Brisbane or South-East Queensland club would bring so much more.

Sorry to say, but the only thing in the Bears favour is nostalgia, and history shows that probably won't count for much in this modern world where even the die-hards parrot on about franchises, markets, products.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The Central Coast has about the same size population as Woollongong, so if they can't sustain a whole team, why will the CC be any more successful?

It's only just big enough to be considered for a side, and most people there probably already support another side.

Sorry to say, but the only thing in the Bears favour is nostalgia, and history shows that probably won't count for much in this modern world where even the die-hards parrot on about franchises, markets, products.

That and they have the strongest bid so far.

RedVee

First Grade

Except that it isn't just the central coast, it is a return of the North Sydney district as well. This makes it a large area. A large, currently disenfranchised area. Good luck to the Bears.
I am not against another Qld team, or another NZ team or Perth filling the other spot. Whichever wins the spot is fine by me. The two Central Coasts (or Brissy or Sunshine Coast) would prob be best for TV, WA and NZ for spread.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The survey didn't support the Bears, it supported a "NRL team on the CC". That could mean the Bears, a relocation of an existing NRL team or a brand new team.

Bears bid is very strong and hats off to them they are way ahead of any bidding city. Having said that I would not give a license to another NSW side unless an existing one dropped out or an existing side relocated to CC. There is probably only 4 licenses left in the NRL and at some point in the next 25 yeaRS THE GAME has to expand into new areas.

Blind Freddy

Juniors

That's why there's the bonus of having the massive fanbase up North of Sydney Harbour to the Southern end of Lake Macquarie to help tap into aswell.

It makes alot of sense:

• It resparks and bring back so many old Bears fans disenchanted with the game.
  • There's a fantastic balance between a foundation club with historic significance in the past, and a fresh new opprtunity for a growing area for the future.
  • It brings a new fan base into the game who live on the Central Coast who will get behind it.
  • It ensures the saturation of the massive black hole of no representaion on Sydneys doorstep, therefore denting other codes support in the Sydney area. This is also at a critical time taking talot of focus of other codes expanding into a close area.
  • New and old rivalries will beformed or brought back into the game. The Knights are shaping up as a great new potential rival. The Bears/Manly feud is EPIC! words can't describe how great this would be for the NRL.
  • It opens the door for an 18th team which is an extra TV game which means more revenue for the NRL. Eg. Perth.
  • It's the most failsafe option available. Also the most organized. The CC Bears admin have already locked in huge sponsorships with many more to come.
  • Rugby League's second largest junior nursery the CC will be locked in keeping talent in the game.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
The Bears will be back in, it's just common sense. And there is no way the Knights will fall over, they were a major reason in our game surviving through the Super League War. If the Knights are in danger of going under, we have to prop them up.

Loudstrat

Coach
Serious Question - Do the people of the Central Coast want to be a resurrection of the Bears or do they want their own team? Is there a chance they might not be happy with essentially being a relocation of the NS Bears.
As TYimmah said. Who built the stadium you pre-pubescent git?

I'd rather Central Coast Bears than Perth which failed before.
I am beginning to really like your work Locky :clap:

Do we really need another team in NSW?
Yes.

Do we really need another selfish whinging Queenslander? Hell no.

Well the bears failed as well, but both for the same reason
One built a stadium on the promise of admission - which was broken. The other whinged about airfares and knifed the code that gave it life after 4 weeks, and was killed by it's evil protector. How the bloody hell do you draw any similarity?

This.... I'd only support the Bears addition if a another NSW team were removed (preferably Sydney team).
No we should remove a useless club from Townsville that has only ever been a rehab facility for Canterbury rejects.

The survey didn't support the Bears, it supported a "NRL team on the CC". That could mean the Bears, a relocation of an existing NRL team or a brand new team.

Bears bid is very strong and hats off to them they are way ahead of any bidding city. Having said that I would not give a license to another NSW side unless an existing one dropped out or an existing side relocated to CC. There is probably only 4 licenses left in the NRL and at some point in the next 25 yeaRS THE GAME has to expand into new areas.

So you would'nt give a club ready to go in a ready to go market the green light in 2 years, because you may want to expand in 25? I think we have found in you the Victorian's cousin, the Watard!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd like to see a poll of CC RL fans about what their prefered option is. I have yet to see them have their say.

Loudtart, yes I'd rather we keep licenses up our sleeves for when we develop the rest of the country/region than have another club in an already saturated market where all the clubs are financially struggling now.

siv

First Grade
The other issue that most people are missing is the desire by the NRL to fight the battle with the AFL

Bringing back the CC Bears - hits AFL and RU in its back door ie the North Shore - as past Bears supporters will come back in droves

It also bring the population and sponsorship of the Northern Sydney

And combine this with the nursery of the CC and the stadium the Bears built n Gosford - the fit is perfect for RL

Only a second Brisbane team could compare to this

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again show me the evidence that RL fans turned to AFL or RU when the Bears where booted. Attendance figures, TV viewing figures, merchandise sales are all up since that time suggesting that in fact more fans are now supporting RL, not less.

bluey

Bench
Originally Posted by clarency
This.... I'd only support the Bears addition if a another NSW team were removed (preferably Sydney team).

No we should remove a useless club from Townsville that has only ever been a rehab facility for Canterbury rejects.

Very funny come back

mightybears

Bench
I'd like to see a poll of CC RL fans about what their prefered option is. I have yet to see them have their say.

Loudtart, yes I'd rather we keep licenses up our sleeves for when we develop the rest of the country/region than have another club in an already saturated market where all the clubs are financially struggling now.

The CC is prime/core league demography, its a no brainer, its an obvious reconnect for the north shore, and to be honest i don't understand why you aren't 100% behind it for the obvious reason.

FTA/Foxscum and the NRL hate nothing more than a game that can't be sold, The CCB's will have more hope [and so will the other team!] if another viable option turns up for the same season kick off, no bye, another game to flog.

And Perth's the only obvious other, no matter what the PNG and CQ people may say. You'll say yeah but the new TV deal kicks off 2013, we have time, BUT, and its a BIG BUT, if the bids look kosher financially they'll move heaven and earth to do it earlier, esp as league wants PR/momentum to fight the GCFC and GWS AFL tsunami coming to shore very soon.