What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Um... Is it just me?

Fighter

Juniors
Is registration now closed? If I remember correctly, we were told that we needed to commit and make a payment almost on the spot. That's tough to do for any team, especially before our first fundraiser. I am guessing that's where the "can't commit AT THIS TIME" came from. Also everyone on our team is under the impression that spots are still open and we might have time to find a sponsor/fund raise, is this incorrect? "Can't commit at this time" is not exactly saying we will not be entering a team. At least I hope we will be. So that email may be taken slightly out of context.

If history is any indication, we can probably just wait for a team to bail and take their spot, this is rugby league after all lol. However, I will ask around and see whats up.

Fatwing,

Right now we have the full 10 team compliment that is ideal to get the most games for all teams and keep it to a one day tournament. And at the time I spoke to the member of your team that was leading this for you, the sharks could not commit and I had 4 other teams on the verge of committing, so I told him commit now and you are in, otherwise I can't promise anything. Committing is different than paying and at the time, you guys couldn't do either. 10 teams is where we would like to keep it, but as you state, things could always happen. And we can always condense a few of the USARL sides to allow more teams in if a team is serious about entering. We want a variety of clubs intl, USARL and AMNRL if we can get them. April 1 is the deadline for entry fee payment or spots will open up. Of all the teams, 8 have paid the $350 entry fee. Just waiting on 2 intl teams to send funds in but we have their official confirmation letters to appear and don't see any not being able to make it happen at this point. We still have 1 international team working hard to confirm, and if they do, then we would open it up to 12 sides or condense the USARL sides to allow for it.

Current confirmed teams:
NZ Police
Duhaney Red Sharks - Jamaica
Australian Aboriginals
Fiji Residents (Batis)
British Columbia Bulldogs
Phila Fight
New England Collegiate Under 23's
DC Slayers
Baltimore Blues
Boston 13s

Fighter

Juniors
Fighter - How much is the entry fee for the USARL 9's event?

PCL, fee is $350 per team. 1/2 of all the entry fee goes to prize money. 70% to winner, 30% to 2nd place. Basically $1225 to winner, $525 to 2nd. The rest goes to helping us put on the tournament.

south

Juniors
Hi Fighter,
I am new to this forum. I would like to ask why are you charging $350 for a team to enter? Shouldn't the club hosting the event get out there and get sponsors to pay for the field and referees etc? I am just a little confused on how you ask teams to travel from out of state and even from overseas spending all the fundraising money they have raised to pay for flights and accomodation etc. Is it really necessary to have prize money?
The winning team spends $350 to get a $1225 return ($875 profit) and if they were to split the profits with the 15 players they would each receive $50?
Is this normal practice in the US to charge teams to enter a competition while you are still trying to grow the sport?
What happens to the profits of the tournament eg. food or clothing sales etc? Does Philadelphia Fight retain those profits or do each of the ten teams receive the profits evenly since afterall they all put up the costs to run the tournament?
What was the fee to enter last year's 9's tournament in Rhode Island? And, what was the fee to enter the Las Vegas tournament recently in November? Was that put on by the USARL or AMNRL?
Does the USARL and AMNRL charge fees to enter their competitions?
I am not saying whether any of this is right or wrong but would like to be able to see the reason for it.
Thank you

pennpool

Juniors
Hi Fighter,
I am new to this forum. I would like to ask why are you charging $350 for a team to enter? Shouldn't the club hosting the event get out there and get sponsors to pay for the field and referees etc? I am just a little confused on how you ask teams to travel from out of state and even from overseas spending all the fundraising money they have raised to pay for flights and accomodation etc. Is it really necessary to have prize money?
The winning team spends $350 to get a $1225 return ($875 profit) and if they were to split the profits with the 15 players they would each receive $50?
Is this normal practice in the US to charge teams to enter a competition while you are still trying to grow the sport?
What happens to the profits of the tournament eg. food or clothing sales etc? Does Philadelphia Fight retain those profits or do each of the ten teams receive the profits evenly since afterall they all put up the costs to run the tournament?
What was the fee to enter last year's 9's tournament in Rhode Island? And, what was the fee to enter the Las Vegas tournament recently in November? Was that put on by the USARL or AMNRL?
I am not saying whether any of this is right or wrong but would like to be able to see the reason for it.
Thank you
I believe there in may lie the reason for no sharks and only half the USARL participation.

(maybe I need a disclaimer to state this is just my sole opinion and not the opinion of the sharks as a whole?):sarcasm:

Lone Ranger

Juniors
I believe there in may lie the reason for no sharks and only half the USARL participation.

(maybe I need a disclaimer to state this is just my sole opinion and not the opinion of the sharks as a whole?):sarcasm:

Typical Shark bullshit and only highlights the mentality that exist with the majority of the AMNRL teams. What else have you done for me lately!

The reality is the Sharks wouldn't last 5 minutes in the USARL. Not because of players, skill etc but because you're a bunch of sheep with no passion to improve the game or contribute beyond how it impacts you. Your Sheppard has sold your off and now your comp is f^&*ed.

This tournament is in your backyard, the level of talent coming is outrageous and you guys are on here talking that same s^&t week in week out. Pull your head out of your ass Sharkies and get back into the game.

Steve Davy

Juniors
Personally, I have time for anyone willing to put in their own time for rugby league, regardless of the competition they play in.

T Boone Pickens

Juniors
The reality is the Sharks wouldn't last 5 minutes in the USARL. Not because of players, skill etc but because you're a bunch of sheep with no passion to improve the game or contribute beyond how it impacts you. Your Sheppard has sold your off and now your comp is f^&*ed.

Cool Story Bro

Fatwing15

Juniors

I think that the Sharks opinion would be more like pay as little as possible while playing as much footy as possible, drinking as much beer as possible and chasing as many Vixen as possible!

On a serious note, it is one of the Sharks main goals to make it possible for all players to play for free, no dues, fees, ect.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
I've played plenty of sports in my "neck of the woods", and been involved in many a tournament. There is always an entry fee, be it youths or adults. The money always goes to run the tournament in youth sports (referees, trophies, etc.), and for all of the aforementioned plus prize money for adults. To raise $350.00 for a 9's tournament would be simple. The players pay if necessary. Even with 10 guys that would only be $35.00. Sorry, get no sympathy from me if you can't dig into your pocket for that.

Fatwing15

Juniors
I've played plenty of sports in my "neck of the woods", and been involved in many a tournament. There is always an entry fee, be it youths or adults. The money always goes to run the tournament in youth sports (referees, trophies, etc.), and for all of the aforementioned plus prize money for adults. To raise $350.00 for a 9's tournament would be simple. The players pay if necessary. Even with 10 guys that would only be $35.00. Sorry, get no sympathy from me if you can't dig into your pocket for that.

Agreed, looks like the request to commit immediately was more of an issue than the actual cost. I think with the work that goes into running a tournament like this, the organizers would deserve a profit, help to pay for new uniforms, after game parties ect. Any one know anything about the talent of the teams flying in? Will the US teams have a chance with out JAX being there. Will Philly and Boston have their imports?

If you guys haven't noticed quality imports really decide if many teams in the USARL will be competitive. Feel like most of the domestic rosters might struggle quite a bit with legitimate international teams.

south

Juniors
I can't get my head around why should there be a cost to play amateur rugby league? I have read on here for a long time how the USARL are doing wonders, how professional they are etc. So why should amateur players have to put their hand in their wallet?
Does the Philly 9's tournament have a sponsor or sponsors? If so, how much have they raised?
Is money going to come in from gate takings, food, merchandise etc?
To break the $350 entry fee, 10 teams? Total entry fee = $3,500. prize money is half that $1,750, still confused at this angle, so remainder is $1,750. What does this go to? Field rental and possibly giving the referees a couple of bucks for their time.
I would really like to know what individuals are profiting on this?
Please clarify so I can see this differently.
I also have not heard from anyone on the USARL or AMNRL if they charge clubs fees to compete in their tournament? Did Rhode Island Rebellion charge for the 9's tournament last year? What about the tournament in Las Vegas too?

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I can't get my head around why should there be a cost to play amateur rugby league? I have read on here for a long time how the USARL are doing wonders, how professional they are etc. So why should amateur players have to put their hand in their wallet?
Does the Philly 9's tournament have a sponsor or sponsors? If so, how much have they raised?
Is money going to come in from gate takings, food, merchandise etc?
To break the $350 entry fee, 10 teams? Total entry fee = $3,500. prize money is half that $1,750, still confused at this angle, so remainder is $1,750. What does this go to? Field rental and possibly giving the referees a couple of bucks for their time.
I would really like to know what individuals are profiting on this?
Please clarify so I can see this differently.
I also have not heard from anyone on the USARL or AMNRL if they charge clubs fees to compete in their tournament? Did Rhode Island Rebellion charge for the 9's tournament last year? What about the tournament in Las Vegas too?

South, you obviously havn't organised any sort of competition have you? It takes alot of money to run a tournament with field hire, insurances, advertsing, stationery costs, staff costs, food & drinks etc etc. I presume it's just one team organising this tournament not the League itself so it takes a lot of money and effort to run these style of competitions.

Most teams in amateur comps pay the governing body fees which cover insurances and other running costs, it's nothing foreign.

south

Juniors
Bronco Rob, I have a very good idea how much things cost.
Field yes
Referees yes. What do you mean with staff costs?
Field insurance yes
Individual insurance is up to players.
Stationary? I'll donate a pen and a piece of paper.
Advertising? Again, how much has the sponsors tipped in?
I think it is unacceptable to have teams pay to play in this tournament. I could accept it if it were maybe $100 per team and that the team organizing it didn't have any money from sponsors but come on, this is the professional USARL that you have all talked about on here. They are doing wonders for Rugby League in America. Yeah rorting visiting teams.
If the profits of the day were split evenly then that would be fantastic and I would think this tournament is a huge step forward.
I'd like to know what sponsors they have for the tournament and how much they have tipped in.
Plus, what the remaining $1,750 is actually being spent on.

Fighter

Juniors
Hi Fighter,
What happens to the profits of the tournament eg. food or clothing sales etc? Does Philadelphia Fight retain those profits or do each of the ten teams receive the profits evenly since after all they all put up the costs to run the tournament?
Thank you

South I don't come on here enough to keep up with all the stuff you are all talking about, but the tournament is going to cost the Fight about over $15,000. So you are clear, just a few things we need to pay for (approximates) and why we need to charge and also find sponsors:

Shuttle service to and from field to hotel for players (day) - $1500
Field Rental $2000
Police on site for day (required) $1500
Referees - $1000
Beer truck rental and beer $2500
Caterer/Food on site $1000
Insurance for event $350
After party costs food/drink $2500
T shirts/merchandise -$1500 approximate
Print/ Tv Advertising - $3500 (hoping to advertise at USA7s) which would make this considerably more
HD Video and Editing of event - $1000

If we break even we will be ecstatic but unless a big sponsor comes through we know we will lose money. But the exposure is worth that to us both domestically and internationally. That way more teams from everywhere will want to come and it can grow bigger, and then we can possibly get a TV sponsor involved and make this like the USA 7's. You have to start somewhere to make it big.
We want to play the best competition possible and you guys should too. So if $350 is too much for you, I guess we won't see you guys. Can you afford the $10 admission and then beer costs for the day? Then you should be able to find 10-12 guys to put their hand in their pocket to play. When is the next time the Australian Aboriginals will be in your back yard?

And yes the USARL charge all USARL teams a membership fee to play, plus referee fees up front for the year for NAMOA, insurance costs and a surety bond. All told about $2500 per year to participate in the league per team.

There was a fee last year for when Rhode Island hosted. I know nothing about the event in Vegas, that was AMNRL, I think.

I don't remember who asked, but:
It costs each Fight player $350 dues to play for us each season. We don't like charging it and wish we could have everything paid for but we try our best to have sponsors take care of it all, but we never get there. Each player can find a player sponsorship for $350 and never be out of pocket. Many do, many don't. If they can find one or don't try, then they are out of pocket.

Last edited:
Typical Shark bullshit and only highlights the mentality that exist with the majority of the AMNRL teams. What else have you done for me lately!

This tournament is in your backyard, the level of talent coming is outrageous and you guys are on here talking that same s^&t week in week out. Pull your head out of your ass Sharkies and get back into the game.

Yet another coward content on bashing us on a public forum whilst hiding there identity

If you have a problem with the way we've developed the game in BC over the last decade then approach us like a man would.

I'm sure the couple of hundred Americans that played league for the first time thanks to the Sharks have no issues with how we run our operation.

Fighter

Juniors
Yet another coward content on bashing us on a public forum whilst hiding there identity

If you have a problem with the way we've developed the game in BC over the last decade then approach us like a man would.

I'm sure the couple of hundred Americans that played league for the first time thanks to the Sharks have no issues with how we run our operation.

BCS, where is your signature on at the bottom of your posts, you want others to do it, but don't have it yourself?

BCS, where is your signature on at the bottom of your posts, you want others to do it, but don't have it yourself?

This handle is for the use of providing official Shark information - run and operated by the entire Sharks club.

We don't publicly bash anyone nor see the point behind it but if you want to know who runs this - check out our roster from last year.

Bucks County Sharks RLFC

Lone Ranger

Juniors

Your contributions to the game, USA team, youth development program, tours outside the USA and valuable efforts off field will be talked about for decades.

Latest posts