What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFB book thread

butchmcdick

Immortal
BDR I've read almost everything King has written after I read Dark Tower. You read Wind Through The Keyhole? Came out not that long ago and fits between Dark Tower books 4 and 5. Has one story about Roland and one other I loved it.

The Stand is right up there with anything he's written

Have you read the Bachman books ?

That is the shit

Apey

Staff member
Video games and Internet have ruined my ability to sit and concentrate on a book

I know dat feel.

I got back into reading for a while there but have gone off it again.

On my current "to read" list:

LoTR (has been there for years...)
Scar Tissue
A song of Ice & Fire series
+ numerous other books I've amassed as presents and keep putting off.

BDR

First Grade
Rage was it's name. Inspired heaps of IRL school shootings so it's out of print these days. The only one I haven't read is Road Work, I'll get around to it one day but I've heard from other King nuts that it's not great.

Such a good story teller.

Bazal

Post Whore
Moving slightly away from fantasy, which I've never enjoyed....just re-read The Passage by Justin Cronin. Awesome read, some fantasy, some sci fi, post apocalyptic, all the good stuff

BDR

First Grade
Aye terrific book, lost it's way a little in the middle but brough me back around by the end.

See if you can get a copy of Let The Right One In if you enjoy good vampire fiction.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't usually but that one, and the sequel, I really enjoyed. I think because it's actually fairly plausible, with some suspension of disbelief of course like any good book

Misanthrope

Staff member
butchmcdick said:
Have you read the Bachman books ?

The Long Walk is one of my absolute favourite novel/novellas of all time. Bloody brilliant read. Right up there with Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption and Apt Pupil for mine.

afinalsin666 said:
I absolutely love the middle earth setting, but damn Tolkien is dry reading.

I find him nigh on impossible to read after reading more talented story-tellers like Martin, Jordan, (Tad) Williams, Cook, Hobb etc. He's a pretty dire writer. Lord of the Rings would barely make a splash if it were released today. Its fame is derived from it being a pioneer.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
The Long Walk is one of my absolute favourite novel/novellas of all time. Bloody brilliant read. Right up there with Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption and Apt Pupil for mine.

I find him nigh on impossible to read after reading more talented story-tellers like Martin, Jordan, (Tad) Williams, Cook, Hobb etc. He's a pretty dire writer. Lord of the Rings would barely make a splash if it were released today. Its fame is derived from it being a pioneer.

True, dat. Also, very good film adaptations - better than the books imho.

Misanthrope

Staff member
True, dat. Also, very good film adaptations - better than the books imho.

It'll outrage virgins everywhere, but I whole-heartedly agree. Tolkien got too caught up in his own prose and failed to create particularly endearing characters or adequately pace his novel. He had a great eye for language and basically birthed the high fantasy genre, but he's a tedious read.

Last three months I've read-

The passage
The twelve

Then I switched it up coming into Anzac Day and I read-

Kokoda and Tobruk. Peter Fitzsimons is a bit of a douche irl but he has a great writing style.

Just this week I finished (for the third or fourth time) the Aussie classic and one of my all time faves-

A Fortunate Life, by AB Facey

Anyone who hasn't read this, should do so. Not a massive book but a cracking read.