What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFB book thread

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Always enjoyed reading real stories about people/places/occurences and learning new things after each one I finish. Out of the collection I have I would recommend:

The Wold of Wall Street – readers/non-readers, fiction/non-fiction it doesn’t matter you will freakin love this book. Some of it has to be read to actually be believed and as piss funny. If anyone has seen the movie boiler room then it is the real and more ridiculous story that inspired that movie. Just to give a teaser the guy has a helicopter and pays the captain to let him fly it completely whacked out on drugs with the strict instructions to only take back the controls if he passes out or they are close to crashing lol.

Marching Powder – Based on the life of an English drug trafficker in a bolivian prison. Shows how very different the prison system is in that part of the world and reminded me a lot of the mel Gibson film “get the gringo”.

The man who broke into Auschwitz – Probably the most amazing (and in a few chapters very disturbing) story I have ever read. An English soldier who was captured in Africa and taken to the POW camp that was next door to the Auschwitz concentration camp. He refused to believe the purpose of the camp next door until he finally swapped clothes with one of the jews while working in the factories beside them and stayed a few nights to witness the horror himself. The story of the trip to Poland from Africa is worth a book on it’s own as well as what happened afterwards so it’s a few amazing stories ontop of each other.

Emergency Sex – Few years old so will have to search on the net for it. Follows the story of 4 UN aid workers who meet in Cambodia under the khmer rouge in the early 90’s and follows them on their individual journeys through Somalia, Liberia, Rwanda and bosnia. Again some of it is difficult to read for the squeamish but is a very well written first hand account of the atrocities of the 90’s and how much of a sh!tfight the US government is.

Babylon’s Ark – Lawrence Anthony is a conservationist who has a few incredible stories he was written of his efforts. He owns a safari park in south Africa and on his own bat took a few volunteers to Iraq with him with a car full of supplies after hearing the Baghdad zoo had been abandoned and the animals left for dead during the most recent invasion into Baghdad. They put in an amazing effort to keep the surviving animals alive whilst getting shot at every morning on the way to work and has some really heart warming stories of the troops giving up their own rations and medicine and even going on near suicidal missions to retrieve stuff like generators from the red zones of the city.

Going on the conservation theme, Peter Allison has a trio of books that are very entertaining called Whatever you do don’t run, Don’t look behind you but… & How to walk a Puma. He is an aussie who went over to Africa when he was 19 to get away and explore and ended up working at a safari camp. He ended up running the place after a very short time due to staff turnover and illness and had no clue what he was doing and the first two are his collection of funny stories that happened to him involving the wildlife over a few years and majority is piss funny. The last one is after he comes back to Australia to settle down and realises he isn’t quite ready and now in his 30’s does the same thing to south America with the same sort of results. Trying to get through a checkpoint in peru with a knocked out fully sized puma in the back of a taxi makes an interesting story.

For any top gear fans, Richard Hammonds “My Story” about how he ended up on the show and about his crash and recovery from brain damage is a good read.

Shadow Warrior – Story of an SAS soldier that became australias most wanted. The plot to the most recent Rambo is pretty much pinched from this story. A guy who was in the SAS as a demolition expert ends up heading to burma to help train the rebels in demolition and weapons and when he gets back to Australia starts using his skills for heists. Guy is responsible for the biggest explosion to ever happen on Australian land.

Probably a few im forgetting, also got a few sports stars bios (lance Armstrong can stick his up his ass) as well as a few wrestlers stories. One book that was very overwhelming and life changing although I wouldn’t recommend to everyone is “Monster – The joseph fritzl story”. For someone like me who has an iron gut and has been a huge horror fan since he was young even I changed from reading it before I went to sleep to during the day. Very very disturbing.

Last edited:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
It'll outrage virgins everywhere, but I whole-heartedly agree. Tolkien got too caught up in his own prose and failed to create particularly endearing characters or adequately pace his novel. He had a great eye for language and basically birthed the high fantasy genre, but he's a tedious read.

Pillow pants?!

Jason Maher

Immortal
It'll outrage virgins everywhere, but I whole-heartedly agree. Tolkien got too caught up in his own prose and failed to create particularly endearing characters or adequately pace his novel. He had a great eye for language and basically birthed the high fantasy genre, but he's a tedious read.

Them's fightin' words!!!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Can I just say that f**king Nynaeve Al'Meara is the biggest impediment to my finishing Wheel of Time. I've never read a more frustratingly annoying character in my entire life.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I have to read it now that I am Mat whatshisface

He redeems the books for Nynaeve's insufferable annoyingness. I can't decide if Jordan was a great writer of female characters or a terrible one. Most of them make me want to punch a woman in the ovaries.

Dutchy

Immortal
Writers don't make me want to do that...

STRUGGLE CUDDLE!!! because rape is such a strong word.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
He redeems the books for Nynaeve's insufferable annoyingness. I can't decide if Jordan was a great writer of female characters or a terrible one. Most of them make me want to punch a woman in the ovaries.

She comes good. Egwene however.... insufferable, smug. Needs to be taken down several pegs.

Didgi

A bit kiddy..Didgi will probably like them now...I did when I was younger.

Inheritance Series (Was meant to be trilogy) was a good read.

Read them when I was about 13 from memory.

So last year :sarcasm::sarcasm:

I know a lot of people think he's a knob, but Jeremy Clarkson's books are great reads for mine, often get me laughing out loud which not a lot of books can claim.

I think I might've seen Riftwar mentioned, Raymond E Feist's works I loved as well, though that was again as a young 10-13yo (I used to be the biggest bookworm until I discovered footy and girls) so might need to re-read and see if they still hold up.

I want to get into a series like that, Wheel of Time or the GoT books, but I don't think I have the time for such a massive series unfortunately.

Last edited:

Nevcost

Juniors
I just thought I would add this thread as a book version of the cd and movie threads, as I've started to get back into reading after a pretty ordinary summer weather wise and all of the annoying tv that is on during prime time.

Anyway I've started reading a few Irvine Welsh books and have finished Trainspotting, Skagboys, the Maribou Stork Nightmares and am currently reading The Bedroom Secrets of Master Chefs.