What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This new stadium for Sydney better not be multi-purpose

GAZF

First Grade
Jesus Christ.

So they got $90 million out of the NSW Government to turn the Showground into Skoda Stadium. Which is across the road from ANZ Stadium. Which they could have used.

They got $27 million spent on Blacktown Sportspark to use as their training base. Except they abandoned it during their first season.

The ACT Government has spent $10 million on lights and other upgrades to Manuka for them.

This new stadium could see as many as 44 regular NRL and A-League season matches played at it and at most 4 AFL games. And they want it made an oval.

f**k you and the horse you rode in on GWS.

f**k both governments as well; completely incompetent, agenda driven and have done little to serve the interests of the constituencies in terms of sport.

Garbler

Juniors
f**k both governments as well; completely incompetent, agenda driven and have done little to serve the interests of the constituencies in terms of sport.

Amen. Would love to know some figures of gov spending on AFL vs NRL over the last 5 years.

bottle

Coach
If you build it they will come.

Nah, actually they wouldn't. f**ked it up with Homebush, and I don't know how they rectify it now. Should have been a genuine two stadium precinct. One an 80-100k rectangular, and one for cricket, athletics, concerts and fumbley. That would have been awesome, despite people's views on the location. Still the most central point for such a facility.

Liverpool or Penrith? Please, will be suitable for two teams AT BEST, plus sokka.

Abz

Juniors
Jesus Christ.

So they got $90 million out of the NSW Government to turn the Showground into Skoda Stadium. Which is across the road from ANZ Stadium. Which they could have used.

They got $27 million spent on Blacktown Sportspark to use as their training base. Except they abandoned it during their first season.

The ACT Government has spent $10 million on lights and other upgrades to Manuka for them.

This new stadium could see as many as 44 regular NRL and A-League season matches played at it and at most 4 AFL games. And they want it made an oval.

f**k you and the horse you rode in on GWS.
:lol:

Lets hope the NRL are on to this.

Even if Kennedy is wrong the NRL should be in there at every step of the process making sure its rectangular.

kmav23

Juniors
Govt should not be paying for sports stadiums.

Why should taxpayers pay private sector.

private sector should pay for it themselves.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
If you build it they will come.

Nah, actually they wouldn't. f**ked it up with Homebush, and I don't know how they rectify it now. Should have been a genuine two stadium precinct. One an 80-100k rectangular, and one for cricket, athletics, concerts and fumbley. That would have been awesome, despite people's views on the location. Still the most central point for such a facility.

Liverpool or Penrith? Please, will be suitable for two teams AT BEST, plus sokka.

I can only see the bulldogs and wanderers using it for all of their games, the tigers will still play games at liechhardt unless there is a major shift in policy from them and i can't see Parra playing more than 3 or 4 as per the current ANZ deal they have. For this reason the government will probably push for a multi purpose facility to secure more tennants and thus games to make a new stadium worthwhile.

That being said i don't think the NRL and especially the FFA on behalf of the wanderers would even consider a multipurpose stadium.

flamin

Juniors
Nah, actually they wouldn't. f**ked it up with Homebush, and I don't know how they rectify it now. Should have been a genuine two stadium precinct. One an 80-100k rectangular, and one for cricket, athletics, concerts and fumbley. That would have been awesome, despite people's views on the location. Still the most central point for such a facility..

Yep that's what should have happened. Alas we're in the situation we're in now where Sydney only has one large rectangular stadium and its capacity is only 45k.

I can only see the bulldogs and wanderers using it for all of their games, the tigers will still play games at liechhardt unless there is a major shift in policy from them and i can't see Parra playing more than 3 or 4 as per the current ANZ deal they have. For this reason the government will probably push for a multi purpose facility to secure more tennants and thus games to make a new stadium worthwhile.

That being said i don't think the NRL and especially the FFA on behalf of the wanderers would even consider a multipurpose stadium.

Bulldogs 10 of 12 games
Tigers 9 of 12
Parra 3 of 12 ('blockbuster games)
Panthers maybe 2 of 12
Wanderers all 13?

That would be 37 rectangular games.

I could even see some other Sydney teams playing home games there against western suburbs teams.

Should be enough to force it to be rectangular.

Govt should not be paying for sports stadiums.

Why should taxpayers pay private sector.

private sector should pay for it themselves.

The government would retain ownership & management rights.

Managed properly it would be a revenue positive investment. Something which is pretty rare for a government investment.

bottle

Coach
Bulldogs 10 of 12 games
Tigers 9 of 12
Parra 3 of 12 ('blockbuster games)
Panthers maybe 2 of 12
Wanderers all 13?

That would be 37 rectangular games.

I could even see some other Sydney teams playing home games there against western suburbs teams.

Should be enough to force it to be rectangular.

Where should such a stadium be in your opinion?

Where should such a stadium be in your opinion?

The stadium I'm describing would be in Liverpool.

In terms of my preference , my only two thoughts are is it needs to be smack bang next to a major rail line.

And it needs to be central enough for at least 3 NRL teams to play there.

Raiderdave

First Grade
f**k off GWS. If its not rectangular the NRL shouldn't commit

double this

the NRL should be telling the NSW Govt if it aint a purpose built rectangle stadium
then they're out & not interested
the A league ...& the Wanderers , the same

the Midgets & the AFL can F off
they've already destroyed ANZ .... they should not be allowed near this new joint:evil:

Dogs Of War

Coach
The stadium I'm describing would be in Liverpool.

In terms of my preference , my only two thoughts are is it needs to be smack bang next to a major rail line.

And it needs to be central enough for at least 3 NRL teams to play there.

So the Bulldogs and Tigers I am sure would at least play 6 games out of this stadium each. Whom else do you see using this stadium?

To be honest, I can't think of any location in Sydney that you would be able to get 3 clubs to play out of other than Homebush.