What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFB book thread

Red Bear

Referee
Currently reading this
the-picador-book-of-cricket.jpg

Collection of cricketing essays on players, events etc. Really good writing throughout.

I like alot of stuff but principally private investigator/detective type reads, eg The Big Sleep (which is great) by Raymond Chandler, The Deep Blue Good-by by John MacDonald - would like to read more of those series of books.

Also like stuff by Nick earls, ZigZag Street is a crack up. The Vincibles is great. Bill Brysons writing I really enjoy, especially A Walk in the Woods. Used to read alot of Ben Elton but got over them. To Kill a Mockingbird was a great book

Also have a soft spot for Harry Potter, having grown up with them. Come at me HP haters

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've just started reading Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller series. Bloody brilliant so far.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Bought a shit ton of books in the us. Currently re re re re re re re re re re re reading the Belgariad and Malloreon. Forgot how addictive Eddings is.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just about to finish Margaret Atwood's surprisingly good MadAddam series. Oryx & Crake was by far the best, but The Year of the Flood and MadAddam have both been good post apocalyptic sci-fi as well.

MKEB...

Staff member
Bought a shit ton of books in the us. Currently re re re re re re re re re re re reading the Belgariad and Malloreon. Forgot how addictive Eddings is.

Correct, I am re re re re re re reading Belgarath the Sorcerer whilst on the train to work, and Shogun at home.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Finished off a few lately

Unholy trinity - pretty disturbing stuff about the catholic mafia in australia covering up kiddly fiddling priests

Carnivore - awesome story from the leader of a bradley in Iraq

BDR

First Grade
Just finished re-reading The Stranger, and presently on the last few pages of Easy Riders, Raging Bulls which is about the emergence of New Hollywood (the "movie brats") and their personal friendships and relationships with each other.

About to crack Horns on the weekend, which is soon to become a movie starring Daniel Radcliffe.

soc123_au

Staff member
I've finally gotten around to reading the A Song of Fire & Ice series. Absolutely tore through the first three books. It seems I've hit the wall with A Feast For Crows. Its a struggle compared to first books.

MKEB...

Staff member
Just found out A C Crispin has just died, think I might start reading all my "V" Books again.

Misanthrope

Staff member
'The redemption of Althalus' was another Eddings book I got a chuckle from - a one off book as well.

I really enjoyed that one back in college. The only Eddings book I've been able to get into, actually.

I've finally gotten around to reading the A Song of Fire & Ice series. Absolutely tore through the first three books. It seems I've hit the wall with A Feast For Crows. Its a struggle compared to first books.

Yeah, the fourth book is a bit of a hard slog. The fifth book is a bit better due to the characters involved, but I think he's learned that the 'divide the characters' method didn't work too well.

I'm currently reading Ruth Maier's diary. Bit of a tough read as most of her rescued diary's were pre-war so it takes a while to get interesting but I've learnt quite a bit while tracking through. At the very least you can clearly see the difference in intelligence between late teens in the 30's / 40's compared to now. Before the war, Maier read extensively, quoted great poets and authors alike, could hold a conversation about politics, the arts and theater and had a vast appreciation for it all. She was insightful and witty. Most people of her age nowadays would struggle to string a coherent sentence together.