What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nintendo NX - Next Gen Harware Concept

perverse

Referee
It's a launch title, only reason I'll have the NX on day one because f**k me that game looks f**king amazing.
Sorry dude, didn't make myself clear... I was talking about whatever existing device Storm13 is talking about. Very eagerly awaiting BOTW on the NX myself :smile:

Storm13

Juniors
Sorry dude, didn't make myself clear... I was talking about whatever existing device Storm13 is talking about. Very eagerly awaiting BOTW on the NX myself :smile:
Not sure what we are disagreeing on as I agree on all that you say. Just trying to point out with all the rumors that we have heard that what has just been leaked dose not seem to meet the expectations on what we know, and that is including what Nintendo has said about it. Which is why I'm being cautious on my hype level until an official reveal.

perverse

Referee
I didn't think we were disagreeing, just discussing. I was just pointing out that regardless of what Nintendo does with their hardware, their software will push units hard if they get it right. It always does. They f**ked up the Wii's software library through the flood of casual interest, and they f**ked the Wii U in all sorts of ways... branding and poor software lineup being the major 2.

It doesn't really bother me much which platform Nintendo puts their software on... but something great will be lost to the gaming community, potentially forever, if Nintendo do quit the hardware game altogether. They are unique in the marketplace, and they have major effect on the rest of the industry through their successes and their failures. As I said earlier, I really respect them as a company because of the risks they're constantly willing to take. Business and high risk rarely go together, but they buck the trend.

They could slap a triforce on a f**king potato and I'd buy it, to be fair. I know I'm not alone.

Last edited:

Storm13

Juniors
They now have a modeled business plan in console, handheld and now mobile with showcasing their products, they will never drop out of (console) that as that would effect the reach of their products which is what makes Nintendo. Now bring in the huge development they have with Universal in Japan with the theme park and the very growing interest from both hollywood and Nintendo themselves about making movies of their products I think they are going to reach a golden age for the company. Consoles department not being number one is not a big deal for the overall plan as business model is changing hopefully with the NX.

Got to remember Nintendo is a bigger company than the whole of Sony.

Parra Pride

Coach
They could slap a triforce on a f**king potato and I'd buy it, to be fair. I know I'm not alone.

Count me in on this. Hell, after already owning the game digitally I went out and bought a physical copy of Twilight Princess HD simply for the wolf amiibo because I want that little bastard following me around in Breath of the Wild. Could've gone much cheaper just grabbing the amiibo off eBay, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't getting a dodgy one. Also pretty much only reason I haven't pre-ordered the NX yet is I am hoping they do a Zelda branded one. Got the Majora's mask 3DS which looks pretty sexy.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I think it will be powerful, the video shows it running the remaster of Skyrim and it looks great.

It might scale down the graphics in handheld mode.

Edit: Here are some details from NVIDIA - https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/
It runs on tegra... So it will likely have an X2 in it... On paper they are similar to Xbox One in power. The Nvidia Shield TV is running an X1 and no games have really come out that are console level quality but it is an android platform. It's a mobile processor, so being connected to the TV or portable should be the same power unless they scale it for battery life. Not to mention creating a high speed bus or additional processor would add to the cost massively.

The issue is it's an ARM processor, so a completely different architecture to all other consoles and PC. Porting again will be an afterthought. It will be a gen behind again with Scorpio and PS4 pro coming out but that won't matter if people buy into the value proposition of having a convertible console. It will be interesting to see what Nintendo's decision will be in regards to operating system on the console, if they run a derivative of Android, it could see an increase in development for Android development, which could drive third parties to support the platform, if not, then they may find themselves in the same situation as they've had for many consoles before this.

elyod138

Bench
It runs on tegra... So it will likely have an X2 in it... On paper they are similar to Xbox One in power. The Nvidia Shield TV is running an X1 and no games have really come out that are console level quality but it is an android platform. It's a mobile processor, so being connected to the TV or portable should be the same power unless they scale it for battery life. Not to mention creating a high speed bus or additional processor would add to the cost massively.

The issue is it's an ARM processor, so a completely different architecture to all other consoles and PC. Porting again will be an afterthought. It will be a gen behind again with Scorpio and PS4 pro coming out but that won't matter if people buy into the value proposition of having a convertible console. It will be interesting to see what Nintendo's decision will be in regards to operating system on the console, if they run a derivative of Android, it could see an increase in development for Android development, which could drive third parties to support the platform, if not, then they may find themselves in the same situation as they've had for many consoles before this.
The guys on neogaf seem to think running on ARM means nothing these days. There have been a lot of rumours for months that it's extremely easy to develop on.

That NVIDIA link mentions scalability, there are vents in it too, pointing to the likelihood of active cooling. They'll probably run it at a higher clockspeed on the dock and scale it down in portable mode to conserve battery life, like you said.

The list of day 1 software partners is a pretty big deal, it's much better than what they've presented for the last few generations. Hopefully it's not just hot air and Nintendo got it right this time.

NX_Partners-1200x794.jpg

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The guys on neogaf seem to think running on ARM means nothing these days. There have been a lot of rumours for months that it's extremely easy to develop on.

That NVIDIA link mentions scalability, there are vents in it too, pointing to the likelihood of active cooling. They'll probably run it at a higher clockspeed on the dock and scale it down in portable mode to conserve battery life, like you said.

The list of day 1 software partners is a pretty big deal, it's much better than what they've presented for the last few generations. Hopefully it's not just hot air and Nintendo got it right this time.

NX_Partners-1200x794.jpg
As a software developer, I can tell you it means something. ARM is powerful these days, no question about it... But it is a different platform architecture to x86 (RISC vs CISC), which all of Nintendo's competitors use, hence it is a larger investment for third parties to optimize for the Nintendo platform. It's a large reason why Sony and Microsoft moved to x86 this gen, so that developers didn't face an uphill battle getting things running on all platforms. It generally isn't a huge issue as compilers compile for the target platform so depending on the language 60-80% of your code is write-once, however things that are down to the metal such as graphics libraries and more complex computational tasks pose significant time constraints when working with such different architectures.

I love the idea of the console, and hope it is executed as well as it looks. At the end of the day, it comes down to how many people buy the console and what the game attach rate is. One thing is for sure, it's what the Wii U should have been.

Last edited:

DlEHARD

Juniors
As usual I'll pre-order and by it. But Nintendo needs to do some serious efforts to keep the games coming. Being stuck with just a WiiU and seeing all these other games released for XBOX and PS4 is hurtful. It shouldn't be that way and its been a steady decline since Gamecube and even the N64.

The concept looks good and they are wise to merge their lines. I hope that means more games. And games beyond their core franchises.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Couldn't help bit notice what looked like Elder Scrolls in the video.
With it launching with Zelda it's so tempting to buy one at launch, something I've never done.
Been so Dissapointed with the ps4. While the games are technically amazing, they mostly have no soul and are missing that fun element that Nintendo games nail. Especially for someone like me who only plays offline.