What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BroncosNRL

Big Pete

Referee
It only seemed like a matter of time before we'd seem some version of the 'held up' call blow up in the NRL's face. Ever since the 2002 Grand Final it seems like teams have been given more and more leeway and the amount of mental gymnastics required to give the try to Moga just exposes how bad the current system is.

In saying that, I thought the Broncos were unlucky to have the original call over-turned. On the vision we had, there wasn't sufficient evidence to suggest no part of the ball touched the ground. Based on prior examples the referees tend to back the on-field decision more times than not.

And the field goal was just a poor decision. That's the issue with trying to take the bunker out of the equation altogether, I think when it comes to any point-scoring situation, the bunker should be able to do a quick once over to see if it's correct and if they detect something wrong, they should be able to call it. As it stands, Klein really should be dropped for next week's clash.

souths_reborn

Juniors
It only seemed like a matter of time before we'd seem some version of the 'held up' call blow up in the NRL's face. Ever since the 2002 Grand Final it seems like teams have been given more and more leeway and the amount of mental gymnastics required to give the try to Moga just exposes how bad the current system is.

In saying that, I thought the Broncos were unlucky to have the original call over-turned. On the vision we had, there wasn't sufficient evidence to suggest no part of the ball touched the ground. Based on prior examples the referees tend to back the on-field decision more times than not.

And the field goal was just a poor decision. That's the issue with trying to take the bunker out of the equation altogether, I think when it comes to any point-scoring situation, the bunker should be able to do a quick once over to see if it's correct and if they detect something wrong, they should be able to call it. As it stands, Klein really should be dropped for next week's clash.
I like your post but I disagree with you about no part of the ball touching the ground. I thought you could clearly see the Milford gets no part of the ball on the grass; he gets it over the line but it is elevated and eventually a South Sydney arm slides underneath it to prevent any grounding being made possible.

With regards to the field goal and the bunker, wasn't it announced at the start of the year that the bunker would be able to intervene on all point scoring plays? Even if the bunker didn't make a call, the on field referees should have taken a look given the context of the game and the dubious nature of the field goal. I agree that the referees should be dropped; it would be unacceptable for them to be given an appointment next week after such a disgraceful performance.

Big Pete

Referee
I like your post but I disagree with you about no part of the ball touching the ground. I thought you could clearly see the Milford gets no part of the ball on the grass; he gets it over the line but it is elevated and eventually a South Sydney arm slides underneath it to prevent any grounding being made possible.

And that's fair enough, I've just seen similar instances where they tend to go with the attacking team. This was one of the rare occasions where they were actually going to judge the footage on it's merits instead of looking to confirm the referee's decision. Regardless, the decision to award the try to Moga was baffling. They can try and justify it anyway they want, it just looked wrong.

The problem with the field goal is that the referee has to refer it. If the referee thinks everything is above board, then the bunker has no say. Which to me is really dumb when you consider that the bunker can get involved with decisions that involve in-goal restarts.

souths_reborn

Juniors
And that's fair enough, I've just seen similar instances where they tend to go with the attacking team. This was one of the rare occasions where they were actually going to judge the footage on it's merits instead of looking to confirm the referee's decision. Regardless, the decision to award the try to Moga was baffling. They can try and justify it anyway they want, it just looked wrong.

The problem with the field goal is that the referee has to refer it. If the referee thinks everything is above board, then the bunker has no say. Which to me is really dumb when you consider that the bunker can get involved with decisions that involve in-goal restarts.
You know what, I could have accepted it a lot more if they simply said they thought he had grounded it and had insufficient evidence to overturn it on that basis. Its the fact that they ruled that he was able to pass it that gets my goat.

Your point about the bunker ruling on field goals is interesting. I thought that what you are alluding to was the old system and that they changed it at the start of this season to have the bunker intervene on all point scoring plays to prevent instances like what we saw tonight happening? In saying that, if what you say is true then that is simply ridiculous! Like you say, how can a bunker intervene on something as trivial as an in goal restarts but not point scoring plays, which are obviously more crucial?

Big Pete

Referee
It will be interesting to get official confirmation, but I'm pretty sure they merely limited the bunker's jurisdiction, instead of giving them the power to review point scoring plays regardless of whether the on-field referee makes a referral.

Regardless, I'm sure we'll hear plenty more about this story as the weekend unfolds.

Big Salad

Juniors
The issue I have with the Moga/Milford try is that Klein went upstairs with a try on the basis of Milford grounding it in the first instance. He gave no opinion of what happened afterwards, i.e. whether the tackle was complete, whether Milford then knocked on or it was stripped, or whether he was happy with a try for Moga.

However, the video ref then used Klein's opinion of try for Milford as the basis for ruling 'insufficient evidence to overturn' for everything that happened AFTER Milford had been held up, despite the referee not providing any opinion on any of it.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Made a mockery of the HIA tonight too the Broncos.. first after letting Milford kick the goal, the with 15 minutes left Milford "Slow to Rise" after a Burgess shoulder charge, but not taken off for a second HIA, which means under the rules he shouldn't have even been on field for the Field goal..

I know it opens a can or worms about teams targeting players, but thats the protocol the NRL have put in place

Wests is Best

Juniors
In regards to the field goal, I saw an camera angle that shows the 2nd ref looking right at Milford when he knocks on. Surely he saw some doubt in the handling of the pass. It had to be referred upstairs by him at least.

Valheru

Coach
Can't believe they missed that knock on field goal. Then the try given when Milford lost it. In the old days the ref's jumped in and said held up straight away. These days they let them wrestle for ages to try and get the ball down. This no try highlights how bad it has become

This is the root cause of the issue and it has been since the 2004 GF.

The rule needs to be that as soon as momentum has stopped the tackle is held as it would be anywhere else on the field. None of this trying to get the ball down for 30 seconds.

The issue I have with the Moga/Milford try is that Klein went upstairs with a try on the basis of Milford grounding it in the first instance. He gave no opinion of what happened afterwards, i.e. whether the tackle was complete, whether Milford then knocked on or it was stripped, or whether he was happy with a try for Moga.

However, the video ref then used Klein's opinion of try for Milford as the basis for ruling 'insufficient evidence to overturn' for everything that happened AFTER Milford had been held up, despite the referee not providing any opinion on any of it.
I said the same in the game day thread .
Klown only asked about Milford .
Never said anything about MOGA
I read it as Klown thought it was either a Milford try or held up ..
He should have said that when talking to the Bunker .
Try or no tr ...tackle was completed .