What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2KY & The Big Sports Breakfast

Life's Good

Coach
I heard bits of it last night, it kind of sounded like Slats was comparing his era to today.
Slater comes across as a bitter, jealous merkin. He was a great player and one who I thoroughly enjoyed watching. He would be earning good money if he was playing in the current era but he's not and you can see it sh*ts him no end having to get up at 3am for BSB because he wasn't able to cash in.

undertaker

Coach
Slater comes across as a bitter, jealous merkin. He was a great player and one who I thoroughly enjoyed watching. He would be earning good money if he was playing in the current era but he's not and you can see it sh*ts him no end having to get up at 3am for BSB because he wasn't able to cash in.

I remember reading an article a few years ago regarding player salaries of cricketers. IIRC, each player on the 1993 Ashes tour got $75k and, $90k during the 1993/94 summer (including the tour of South Africa). There wasn't a sliding scale like there is today, where players in the squad earn different amounts. Back then, all players annual ACB contracts were the same and this remained the status quo until Mark Taylor became captain. In a recent interview Dean Jones did with Crash Craddock on Cricket Legends, all players were offered $15k/year contracts from the ACB/Packer during the South African rebel tour crisis in the mid '80s, which was miniscule compared to the $200k the players that went on the rebel tour got. So, contract and match payments have come a long way since then and full-time players today don't have jobs outside of cricket like most of the national players did until at least the early '90s.

$75-90k might not sound much compared to players today, but still quite a lot during the early-mid '90s (in the highest tax bracket at the time) compared to what average wages were like during the downturn of the economy which lingered for a few years after the stock market crash, let alone factoring in inflation.

Central contracts, match payments and sponsorships started to increase appreciably when Mark Taylor took over as captain in 1994/95. The larger 3rd party sponsorships (such as Shane Warne's with Nike) appeared and increased from the second half of the '90s.

So, Slater (who played during 1993-2001) would've still earned in the 6 digit category from after he got back into the Australian test team in 1998 to the end of his career and would've earned enough to retire comfortably. After all, I remember on the interview he did with Andrew Denton a decade or so ago, he did own a Ferrari in the period leading up to his omission after the national squad in 2001, so it's his own fault if he's squandered the money due to poor decisions in life. Yeah, the numerical amount of what he earned maybe only a fraction of what players today get, but crying poor, being envious and making the audience feel like he didn't get paid well at all is nonsense. After all, I'm sure his comfortable job at Ch9 in the summer pays him very well to the point where he doesn't have to do the 2KY gig.

Last edited:

Tiger5150

Bench
Typically Slater cuoldnt get his head around what Cowan was saying. He didnt understand it and just took it off on his own slant based on his own career.

Todd Hoffman

Juniors
On holidays with his head stuck a Horse's bum.
Who cares he off lets partly enjoy the week with Jimmy and to a less extent Creepy.

Not fussed on Jimmy Smith. He is bit like Ray Hadley. If you are wrong in his opinion he rudely cuts you off.

Amateur hour for the 6.30 news this morning. Uncle creepy must have been rubbing her up under the desk and putting her off?

magpie4ever

First Grade
Not fussed on Jimmy Smith. He is bit like Ray Hadley. If you are wrong in his opinion he rudely cuts you off.

Yep, Jimmy Smith is just a sycophant to the chookens and eastern suburbs society - a f**kwit.

Plus to Generalzod - horse racing has been called the "sport of kings", longer than most football sports have been in existence - you dope.

Generalzod

Immortal
Yep, Jimmy Smith is just a sycophant to the chookens and eastern suburbs society - a f**kwit.

Plus to Generalzod - horse racing has been called the "sport of kings", longer than most football sports have been in existence - you dope.
iits just my opinion like you have yours....

Pedge1971

First Grade
Then dont do it. They gamble on pretty much everything these days. Leagues clubs have pokies so by your ridiculouz definition rugby league is destroying lives right?

Anyway this has nothing to do with your point that racing is not a sport. But do go on.

Generalzod

Immortal
Then dont do it. They gamble on pretty much everything these days. Leagues clubs have pokies so by your ridiculouz definition rugby league is destroying lives right?

Anyway this has nothing to do with your point that racing is not a sport. But do go on.

Annyway I thought polo was the "Sport of Kings".

She read the first line of the news, and then silence for about fifteen seconds.

They had an ad halfway through the news and cut back to her mid sentence trying to figure out what was going on.

It made 2SM look well polished.

Comical.

Mr Saab

Referee
Cant even listen to the 640 to 7 slot now. Phil Moss & Mike Tomalaris segments the past week. Absolute boredom.
To top it off Magnay after 710am
Congrats BSB three of a kind in cardboard.

Latest posts