What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milford / Oates collision.... play-on or not?

OldPanther

Coach
Not as much fun as ending your teams season.

We were always going out under the circumstances. You on the other hand have what should be the strongest club and are limping around the comp barely able to get by against one of the most inexperienced teams in the comp.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
should have been play on for mine

but fair enough

the test will be now next time it happens will the refs blow the whistle?

GongPanther

Referee
If Oates plays next week,and after a collision like that [although I found it difficult to notice the actual contact],there could be callls to have refs allow the play to proceed.

Lets picture this scenario.Next week,what if Brisbane were behind by 2 points,with only a minute on the scoreboard.Brisbane makes a break and a Storm player attemps a tackle,and in seeing that a try is enevitable,he feigns an injury and lies flat out as if he is being knocked out.

So what does the ref do now after yesterday's scenario? Because as players see the predicament with this highlighted situation,players will now more than likely in the coming weeks test he referees discretion.

But for me,at a split second I thought the refs were going to allow play on.But thems the breaks.

Good luck to the Broncos,although they will find it a different kettle of fish next week.

skeepe

Immortal
I've only looked at it a couple of times so could be completely wrong, butI reckon the play was dead.

Looked like the ball come out after Oates hit the ground, meaning it came out after the tackle, therefore a dead ball so no play on or advantage possible.

The_Shield

Juniors
This was put to bed in the first couple of posts. As soon as it hit Milford it's accidental offside. You can't play on.

And also a quick question. How many people here who say it doesn't matter that Oates was clearly injured and it should of been play on, how many of those people complain and bag Cameron Smith for talking to the ref when McKinnon got injured?

OldPanther

Coach
This was put to bed in the first couple of posts. As soon as it hit Milford it's accidental offside. You can't play on.

And also a quick question. How many people here who say it doesn't matter that Oates was clearly injured and it should of been play on, how many of those people complain and bag Cameron Smith for talking to the ref when McKinnon got injured?

That's not right. We had a game play on against the Titans last year when a player touched the ball after a knock on leading to a try. If the rule says otherwise the refs aren't ruling that way.

Disclaimer: I'm happy for the call to stay as it was.

GongPanther

Referee

That ruling could have been clarified after the try would have been sent to the bunker.

And I don't think for one second that people in here are being inconsiderate.

Oates being injured and Penrith's chance to score a try are unrelated.

some11

Referee
Ref used discretion, even if the Panthers did score it would've been pulled back for a scrum due to..
Oates lost the ball into Milford who was in front of him which is accidental offside, this results in a scrum to the defending team.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Oates at no time loses the ball into milford. He is holding on to it after the collision and bounces off. He drops it when he hits the deck

Another f**ker who wants to compare Australian sport to the mess that Americans shove down the throats of their populace.

Don't forget that the US is the inventor of the lawsuit.

Next thing, diners will be suing restaurants for the poor quality of their toilet paper when they get a dirty finger.

Or should that read "restroom" paper....
And we're girt by mini America

They are the prototype we're following

I don't know the rule regarding accidental offside = dead ball and scrum, no advantage. If that's the case then I have no problem with them stopping it. If it was stopped for Oates then it's ridiculous, as when the whistle went Penrith were well on the break and $1.04 to score on that play. I wish we could just get a clear rule in place for stopping the game for an injury. Not doing so cost us a try on HT against the Storm at LO in an early round in a game we lost by a point. Make a rule for consistency stake, leaving it open to discretion is not good for the game.

They got one wrong.

They didnt penalise or sin bin Matthew Wright for punching DWZ in the head.
nxJOYjKBSGBeHFu0X0lAkCYw7Ld9muus1LK9TJYST8iEisaqatNEs4kD6xSu9CII5zCO_PVV7g5R4IwDtCiCs3nL-uya_ahpabb3u327gUoAVVEZMJd-mEEqAEoO4nWFNg=w314-h336-nc

Latest posts